The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hipstamatic Dali (4 photos)

Don Ellis

There’s a new update to Hipstamatic (you can now get a white camera body if you like) and a new lens available for US$0.99 – the Dali lens.

Rich, game fool that I am, I bought it … and here are four results from my morning commute.

Escalator ...

Commuter sitting and talking ...

Commuter standing and reading ...

Deserted train ...

The Hipstamatic takes photos in three sizes (all represented above): 600x600, 1200x1200 and 1936x1936. The times per shot and processing until the moment you can see it are 7, 11, 23 seconds for those three sizes.

This is much quicker than even the last version. I didn’t time the full-size image before except by counting in my head, but it was over 30 seconds. The times above were done with a stopwatch on a single photo – although it’s possible that times may vary depending on subject.

That final shot, by the way, is always a challenge. I only get one chance a day to do it because it’s the end of the line and everyone has to get off (or get taken to who knows where and possibly disposed of). So you have to wait until the very last second until the stragglers get off and then snap and leap out the closing doors. And often there's a straggler than appears at the last split second. :D

The shimmering coins on the floor are water. It's raining today.

One last comment: Not all photos turn out this interesting – there are plenty of deleters. These images were from a batch of about a dozen. Still, not bad … if you’re in that sort of mood. They were taken with the 1969 film.

iPhone 4, by the way. Five megapixel. And no, I'm not telling anyone but you how these were done. I figure it's our little secret. :)

Cheers,
Don

Don Ellis

Another from lunch:

Waiting to cross the street ...

And I took half a dozen of my desk fan and all turned out differently, so it's a bit of pot luck when it comes to what you'll finally see. But all we're fairly interesting.

Ok, here's one since you insist ...

kai.e.g.

Very interesting shots! I still have an iPhone 3G, and here's my Dali story: I dropped the phone a week ago, causing a hairline crack in the screen beneath the surface. It's still working just fine (I had been rather hoping that I now had irrefutable justification for an upgrade... but no). However, the very next time I took a photograph with the phone, a few days later, was after installing the Hipstamatic upgrade and purchasing the new Dali pack. As a result, observing the strange double ghost image I'd just made, I was now certain that the drop had badly damaged the optics of the iPhone, too. A few more shots with other 'lenses' proved the reality that all was still well in that department. Still, I might use the Dali pics as evidence to my wife that an upgrade of my iPhone 4 is now much more urgent than, say, a new vacuum cleaner this month!

Don Ellis

Kai, that is brilliant! Sorry to hear about your cracked screen but you turned it into a great story. I've been through the 3G, the 3Gs (twice as fast as the 3G), and now the 4. I thought I would miss the smooth curves of the 3Gs, but no ... I loved the 4 from the moment I got it.

It's only perhaps 10% faster, if that, but the screen is so beautiful and the camera is very, very good compared to the 3G and 3Gs. So, yes, I think you need to put those Dali photos to good use.

By the way, the photos above were with the 1969 film, but I've since switched to the Dali film -- even nicer in many ways. I'm finding it difficult to use any other combination.

And for a nice compromise between processing speed and image size, I've found the middle size -- 1600x1600 -- is best for me.

Good luck ... let us know how you get on.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Don,
Thanks for turning me on to this camera. I loaded it in my 4 and will post pics later.
Pretty cool stuff...
Thanks again...
Don

Don Ellis

Very cool, Don ... but I think you need a disclaimer to tell people that they're never going to get this effect -- and may never get photos this good. :D

I've heard that some of my friends have difficulty finding the Dali lens/film/case pack (US$0.99 for the bunch). It's in the Hipstamatic app itself.

If you have the app, tap the Settings arrow in the lower-right corner of the screen. When the camera flips around so you can choose lenses, film and flashes, you'll see a Cart icon in the lower-right corner. Just tap that and you can look through the available lens/film pack for sale. I believe the Dali pack is the last, since it's the latest.

Again ... that photo is great!

Cheers,
Don

kai.e.g.

Don, the "good" news is that the drop has resulted in a phenomenon that is growing worse every day: what started out as a grey line of dead pixels at the top of the screen a few days ago is now growing larger every day. It has now grown to the point where the entire status bar at the top is covered. So, the upgrade to an iPhone 4 is now a certainty rather than a merely a possibility! I'll have to wait until mid-December for it to become available in our area, though; by that time, I may only have half a screen working...

ustein

Contributing Editor
Very cool, Don ... but I think you need a disclaimer to tell people that they're never going to get this effect -- and may never get photos this good. :D

I've heard that some of my friends have difficulty finding the Dali lens/film/case pack (US$0.99 for the bunch). It's in the Hipstamatic app itself.

If you have the app, tap the Settings arrow in the lower-right corner of the screen. When the camera flips around so you can choose lenses, film and flashes, you'll see a Cart icon in the lower-right corner. Just tap that and you can look through the available lens/film pack for sale. I believe the Dali pack is the last, since it's the latest.

Again ... that photo is great!

Cheers,
Don
Thanks for the instructions.

Terry

Dali lens - Hipstimatic has a lot of cool features but the developers and I really aren't using the same side of the brain. From day one I've found the app terribly confusing. Thanks Don for sorting these things out. :D

Dali film

1969 film

Last edited:

Don Ellis

Very nice... thanks for the comparison between the two films. I was really a fan of the 1969 film until I tried the Dali film and now that's all I use.

I really do find the Dali Hipstamatic images to be like Christmas presents: you never know what you're getting until you open the box. Sometimes I'll just shoot 50 or so images and not look at the results until the end of the day -- it's always a pleasant surprise.

A few other tips I've learned:

1. Take the same scene six times in a row and you'll get six variations, so on very interesting scenes I'll take at least two photos so I have a choice later on.

2. You can press and hold the shutter button until you want to take a photo -- then release the button and it will snap.

3. Once you take a photo with the Hipstamatic, you can close the program immediately by hitting the Home button -- the image will save in the background.

Those last two tips are often useful in surreptitious street photography, especially when someone is just a few feet away.

Cheers,
Don

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Thanks Don. I am having a blast sending images to friends/family.
I didn't disclose the camera but alluded to a firmware upgrade for the M8.
Only those on this thread know the secrets to success.
Don ala Dali