The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Water "proof" small camera?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Anyone have knowledge of a good "digicam" that's waterproof? Summer is here and I spend a lot of time wading rivers while fly fishing. I see some wonderful things on the water in some glorious country, but because I'm often standing chest deep in the water, I don't bring a camera.

A short google this morning turned up offerings by Olympus, Ricoh, and Pentax. All of which look like they might fit the bill. But I don't know very much about any of those camera makers (except what I read here) and wonder if anyone might have an inside track on the relative merits of one over the others.

Ideally, this camera would be clipped on a zip line to my wading vest and ready to shoot regardless of weather or water. I don't want to fuss with it or worry about it. Total point-and-shoot mindlessness.

Thanks in advance.
Tim

V

VladimirV

Don't really have experience with any of them but the Ricoh is the only one that has big enough buttons to press with gloves on and should be easier to handle but is bigger. I tried the Olympus in a store and the tiny buttons were a pain to press, plus is uses xd cards and this is a no go for me.
The Pentax seems very good though and a friend had one of the first models and was very happy with it.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Vladimir! That's exactly the kind of thing I need to know. I won't have a chance to see any of these in person and will order via internet. Small buttons is a bad thing.

N

nei1

Sean Reid reviewed the fuji HD-3W and seems to quite like it as long as its used as a point and shoot and not taken too seriously.The colour scheme might frighten the fish!

all the best , Neil.

S

SimonL

What about buying a waterproof housing for the camera you already own ?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks nei1, I just read the review over on Reid Reviews and will include the fuji but continue to shop around.

Simon: That did occur to me, but I'm just not up to the idea that I might accidentally fall into the fast current of a large river with thousands of dollars worth of Leica around my neck. If it sinks, or floats downriver beyond reach, I'd probably end up drowning myself. Plus, given that I will be carrying a flyrod in one hand, it would be awkward to attempt a shot with a rangefinder.

So while I've often wished I had my Leica out there, It's unlikely that I ever will. I have no problem from a canoe, but wading in fast current.... different story.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
FWIW... I pre-ordered a Pentax Optio W60 that will ship on August 5. It's an improved version of their waterproof P&S. Operates underwater to a depth of 13 feet, has shake reduction, and a bunch of other cool stuff. When I get it in hand, I'll post a few examples from out on the water.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

DaveB

You'll have fun with that little camera. It makes sense to have an all-weather sort of P&S that you don't need to worry so much about. I have a Pentax Optio that either my son or I have carried while doing wilderness canoe trips for the past couple summers. If it gets dirty I just rinse it off in the lake. It goes in a pocket and I don't have to worry about it.

There are lots of times when I want to take a photo, but don't feel like digging the M8 out of the Pelican box. The Pentax is perfect for foul weather, white water, dirty conditions, etc. The one I have is just 6 MP, but I imagine the newer ones do better and have more features. I do wish it had an optical viewfinder. LCD's stink outside in bright light and I feel like such a doofus holding this dinky camera out at arms length.

If I happen to snag a picture of Bigfoot with the Optio instead of the Leica, well so be it.

Terry

FWIW... I pre-ordered a Pentax Optio W60 that will ship on August 5. It's an improved version of their waterproof P&S. Operates underwater to a depth of 13 feet, has shake reduction, and a bunch of other cool stuff. When I get it in hand, I'll post a few examples from out on the water.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
But your summer will almost be over!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I do look forward to being able to take photos in environments that would threaten my beloved Leica. And even though it will require some compromises, I'm hoping it will be fast and acsessable. As you already know DaveB, there's always a lot of work to do when you're on a trip in the puckerbrush, finding time to get the serious equipment out can be tricky.

But your summer will almost be over!
Nah, Fall's some of the best fishing here anyway. And there's lots of catch-and-release water that's open year round. I can fish (and now take photos) until the ice forms in the rod guides if I want to.