The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Old conversions

ecliffordsmith

Hi All,

I was performing a long overdue sort through of my images and came across these old images that I had converted to B&W. I am not really sure whether I have gone too far with some of them, certainly they have been pushed about a bit, but I still quite like them.

Any thoughts?

All were taken with a Leica D-Lux 2.

MisiekBunnik

Quite simply?
I like the alot. Number 1 is great, I love the right side of it.
Number 2 is dramatic and reminds me of an old photobook i found and gifted to my mother. (Prague)
Number 3, I think I would like to see more contrast in the brickwall, to me it is to bright?
number 4, I also like the contrast of te lamp against the rest is what the subject needs.

just my opinion, of course!

helenhill

Hi Ed

the First & Last draw me in .......Lovely
i had the digilux 2 and took some of my Favorite photos w/it

Best-h:)

ecliffordsmith

Hi Misiek/Helen,

Thank you both for your responses.

I quite agree about the old mill picture. I dont recall exactly what I was trying to achieve with that one anymore to be honest!

The more I look at them, the first and last are the two I like.

I find it incredible to see how time can alter your opinion of an image. It is just so hard to be objective about your own work as the emotions and memory are there at the time.

Have a great weekend.

W

wbrandsma

The first one really caughts me Ed. That is an excellent photograph like an old painting.

ecliffordsmith

Wouter/Wayne/Jack,

Thank you all very much for your feedback.

Wayne,

I know what you mean about this camera being nice for black and white images. I always found the initial images lacked bite due to the camera processing so pushing the contrast and removing the colour often helped.

Nice to see you posting over here! I have enjoyed many of your interesting threads on the Leica forum over the last few years.

P

PeterLeyssens

Hi,

Actually, I like all 4 a lot. There's a kind of film-like quality to them and I think this is partly caused the subtle way you used contrast. It gives the photos a very moody kind of melancholy. My least favourite would actually be number 4. In number 3, I actually like the subtle brickwork and the nice contrast against the darker trees in the background.

Peter.

smokysun

hi ed,
thanks again for the kind comment. i've enjoyed posting here because of the devotion to small sensor cameras. if i didn't take dance pictures, i never would have invested in dslrs and thousands of dollars in lenses! this fall i may sell most of it off. pretty convinced less is more. and i just enjoy using the small, silent cameras so much.
wayne