The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica d-lux 3

E

ellemand

Sean:

But...the RAW files from the D-Lux 3 can look much better than the JPEGs. Maybe try the GR II side by side with the D-Lux before selling the latter.
I've allways used Jpegs in the d-lux 3.
Trying all day to shoot in RAW, but can't get it better than my Jpegs;-(
I have Photoshop CS2 and have used the RAW-converter in this program. If I shoot at 400 ISO I cannot make better results than I make in Jpeg with this settings:

contrast: std.
sharpness: low
saturation: std.
noise reduction: low

Can you help my out? I'm very happy with the d-lux 3 and - IMO - it makes much better results, than I get with my GR-D.
I therefor are very interested in making it even better;-))

Thank in advange.

Ellemand.

Maggie O

So...I was using Adobe Camera Raw to process my RAW files, but I just started using the newest version of iPhoto with my D-Lux 3 RAW files, and I'm really, really impressed! iPhoto uses Aperture's logarithms to process files (they're basically the same program, with iPhoto being the "LE" version) and I've been getting fantastic results, even with ISO 800 files. Take a look at the first four photos at my Flickr photostream to see what I mean. The first one is ISO 400 RAW and the next three are ISO 800! Oh heck, here they are:

Maggie O

Hey, just like Garry Winogrand, I too, am an "Animal Photographer." :D

And there's nothing like a cat's fur and whisker to show off a camera and lens. :cool:

S

Sean_Reid

Sean:

I've allways used Jpegs in the d-lux 3.
Trying all day to shoot in RAW, but can't get it better than my Jpegs;-(
I have Photoshop CS2 and have used the RAW-converter in this program. If I shoot at 400 ISO I cannot make better results than I make in Jpeg with this settings:

contrast: std.
sharpness: low
saturation: std.
noise reduction: low

Can you help my out? I'm very happy with the d-lux 3 and - IMO - it makes much better results, than I get with my GR-D.
I therefor are very interested in making it even better;-))

Thank in advange.

Ellemand.
Hi,

Tell me about the resources you've used for learning about RAW processing so far and maybe I can suggest some others. Just like working in the darkroom, there's a lot to learn.

Cheers,

Sean

Maggie O

Anyways, my point was even at ISO 800, there's no smearing, images show good and sharp detail, and noise, even in color, is even and grain-like.

E

ellemand

Sean:
Hi,

Tell me about the resources you've used for learning about RAW processing so far and maybe I can suggest some others. Just like working in the darkroom, there's a lot to learn.

Cheers,

Sean
Hi again.

I've been using Capture One Pro for pictures taken with my Canon DSLR and found here a "standard-setting" for my pictures.
Now I try to find simular settengs in CS2's RAW-program. Witchs settings are the one's I shall concentrate on - f.x. if I want to convert ISO 400 and 800 with the less possible noise?
Thanks for your answers - really like this forum and all the wonderfull photographers in here:)

Cheers

Ellemand.

F

Flavio

Hi,

Cheers,

Sean
this is a very important point, especially for people (like me) not really inside the digital field, yet.
anyone may want to introduce this field on this forum?
thanks.

Maggie O

I've found the latest version of iPhoto to be superior to ACR in many ways, not the least being the CaptureOne-like white balance dropper tool. I wish C1 would work with the D-Lux 3, but it doesn't.

S

Sean_Reid

I suggest someone start a thread on Ricoh DNGs and RAW processing. There's a lot of knowledge here, collectively, on this topic.

Cheers,

Sean

E

ellemand

Hi Sean.

A very good idea - I can see, that Mitch allready had maked such a thread.
I'll be reading the answers in that thread.

Have a nice weekend.

Ellemand.

Maggie O

And to you, Ellmand!

I decided to try Lightzone on some of my D-Lux 3 RAW files and I must say, I like how it handles them. Here's one, ISO 400:

Clicking through the image will take you to a page where you can see the same file processed in ACR/CS3. I think I like the Lightzone version better, and not just because of the filter I applied.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Maggie:

I clicked though and have to say I prefer the PS conversion --- it has more contrast. To my eye, the LZ conversion is a little flat.

FWIW only,

Maggie O

;) :ROTFL: That's not flat; that's carefully graduated tones! :ROTFL: ;)

I like the way Lightzone handles noise and obviously, I could have boosted the contrast.

Maggie O

Now, with more contrast!

I like the previous version myself. But I am famous for having the worst (or most contrary) tastes on the internets.

Last edited:
E

ellemand

Merry Christmas to all of you.

The D-lux3 isn't that good holding, because of the metalbody with no rubber.
I've put on some leather with dubbel-tape - it really makes a difference.
This is my first attempt - I'll buy some prettier leather for my next attemp;-)
I also have covered the red dot - no reasons to show the thiefes, that it's a real Leica:)

Cheers

Ellemand.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellemand/