The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica d-lux 3

S

Sean_Reid

This forum will end up discussing whatever small sensor camera content people choose to bring to it.

Cheers,

Sean

E

ellemand

Hi Sean, Mitch and Maggie.

That's what I wanted - let's keep the thread alive ;)
Nice pictures from both of you - thank you for sharing.

Sean; I know what yoy mean - and agree. I just saw the forum being loaded with threads about the Ricoh's. Not that I mind that - I own one myself :D

Leica D-lux 3 - 400 ISO:

Cheers.

Ellemand
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellemand/

Last edited:
E

ellemand

Ellemand, how do you decide whether to shoot with the Ricoh or the D-Lux-3?

Glad Nyåren! (Förlåt mig, men jag talar bara svensk.)

—Mitch/Bangkok
Hi Mitch.

I've been shifting between the two. I feel sometimes, that the IQ of the d-lux 3 is a little better than from the GRD when shooting at 400 ISO, but had the last few days used the GRD at 100 ISO and I got very good results from Jpeg and RAW from this little camera.
Using the cameras I like the GRD best. It fits better in the hand and I like the buttoms and the two wheels.
Now I have to wait for Sean's review of the GRD II - who knows - maybe it's time for a upgrade - what's your opinion?

Godt nytår (in danish) to you and your family.

Ellemand

M

Mitch Alland

The D-Lux-3 is a very good little camera but I like the handling of the GX100 and GRD/GRD2 better, and find it confusing to go back and forth between the Ricoh and the D-Lux-3. I like the "stepped zoom" on the GX100 a lot more than the "normal" zoom on the D-Lux-3.

The D-Lux-3 lens seems sharper than that of the GX100, but I like the latter more at ISO 400. At ISO 800 I find the D-Lux-3 a hit-or-miss affair, but Maggie has done well at this speed. At ISO 1600 the D-Lux-3 seems to have in camera smoothing that smears the image even in RAW, which makes the camera unusable at this speed.

The GX100's RAW files are softer than those of the D-LUx-3 and the GRD cameras, in my view, both in terms of contrast and sharpness — but we'll see whether that's really true for sharpness as well when we have Sean's review. However, the GX100 RAW files take well to (the often necessary) aggressive sharpening most of the time but not always. In this respect I like both GRD cameras better.

On the GRD vs the GRD2 it's clear that the image quality of the latter is substantially better than of the GRD, by one or two stops, so that ISO 400 files are like the ISO 100 or 200 files of the GRD. The problem is that I liked the the look of the ISO 200 files on the GRD very much — I'm referring to B&W — and had trouble initially with getting the look I wanted with the GRD2 at ISO 100 and 200. But now I'm getting more of the look I want, but I'm still not decided whether to keep on using the GRD at ISO 200. I like the look of the GRD2 at 400 a lot.

(Jag kann ikke snakka dansk, except for saying "roedgroed med floede" and "han aer ikke riktikt klug"; but I can't speak skånsk either. And as for counting in Danish, I can never remember what halvtreds means.)

My wife is in Copenhagen now and she's sending me some poelser, sill, og havarti with someone who's coming to Bangkok on the 2nd. I'll grant you that Danish food is better than Swedish, but as for the language — that's another thing...

Actually tomorrow, I'm going for lunch at a Danish restaurant that has smoerrebroed, including sillebord, each New Year's day for 1 baht, which is about 3 US cents. I'll have some Carlsberg and Aalborg Jubilaems Akvavit as well — unfortunately they don't have Tuborg.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

Terry

Ive just been reunited with my d-lux3 after more than six months of being apart. Ive used a lot of small sensor cameras since then (no ricohs) and it really does feel nice to have this one back in my hands. Unexpectedly, I don't have access to be able to post any new shots until I head back to NY later in the week. I'm also planning on taking this plus the Panny TZ3 with me to Moab. Most won't like the Panny with no manual controls but it has a great range 28-280mm in a very small package and with EV (and other scene modes) you can get it to do exactly what you want. There are just times when more zoom is useful even when not looking for the zoom per se but the shallower DOF.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Terry bring it to Moab I would like to try it. Actually since Leica is supporting the workshop i can have Linda bring all there camera's including all the small sensor group. I don't know were the V lux fits in with this group but have to say i tried it in Germany and two ladies on the leica acadamie tour used them with very very nice results. Not to jump of topic but i bought my daughter a Canon SD870 P&S and my word that little baby is very nice. One feature that I though was cool was you can zoom in on a color and the camera just shoots that color and the rest B&W and the results are very nice. It also has focus tracking of subject heads if they move so does the focus. Have yet to play with this thing but Cali is having a ball with it.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Here is one with the pano version of the d lux 3

I recently found a Danish singer I like a lot, she was a singer on Zero 7's second album but her solo stuff is real good....Tina Dico

Last edited:

JimCollum

this was one of the few point-and-shoots i really liked... the 16:9 aspect ratio being what caught my attention. some shot from the California coast

E

ellemand

Mitch:

On the GRD vs the GRD2 it's clear that the image quality of the latter is substantially better than of the GRD, by one or two stops, so that ISO 400 files are like the ISO 100 or 200 files of the GRD. The problem is that I liked the the look of the ISO 200 files on the GRD very much — I'm referring to B&W — and had trouble initially with getting the look I wanted with the GRD2 at ISO 100 and 200. But now I'm getting more of the look I want, but I'm still not decided whether to keep on using the GRD at ISO 200. I like the look of the GRD2 at 400 a lot.
Thank you for your opinion - I'll wait for Sean's review before I decide - in the meantime I have my beloved d-lux 3 (and offcourse the GRD, when I fell for that;-))

(Jag kann ikke snakka dansk, except for saying "roedgroed med floede" and "han aer ikke riktikt klug"; but I can't speak skånsk either. And as for counting in Danish, I can never remember what halvtreds means.)

My wife is in Copenhagen now and she's sending me some poelser, sill, og havarti with someone who's coming to Bangkok on the 2nd. I'll grant you that Danish food is better than Swedish, but as for the language — that's another thing...

Actually tomorrow, I'm going for lunch at a Danish restaurant that has smoerrebroed, including sillebord, each New Year's day for 1 baht, which is about 3 US cents. I'll have some Carlsberg and Aalborg Jubilaems Akvavit as well — unfortunately they don't have Tuborg.
"Halvtreds" means fifty = 50.
It sounds great with the lunch. What time do you want me to be there? I would like to eat "sildebord" and drink Carlsberg and Aalborg Jubilaems Akvavit with you - I'm sure it could be very fun!! I could bring some Tuborg (you're right; they are better than the Carlsberg).

Jim; great pictures - thank you for sharing.

MWalker:

I recently found a Danish singer I like a lot, she was a singer on Zero 7's second album but her solo stuff is real good....Tina Dico
Great pictures from you.
The danish singers name is; Tina Dicov - and you're right, she's good.

TEBnewyork:

Ive just been reunited with my d-lux3 after more than six months of being apart. Ive used a lot of small sensor cameras since then (no ricohs) and it really does feel nice to have this one back in my hands. Unexpectedly, I don't have access to be able to post any new shots until I head back to NY later in the week.
I'm looking forward to see pictures from your hand with the d-lux 3;-)

I wish you all (also Maggie O and the rest of the members of this forum) a happy new year and hope we'll have some interresting discussions in 2008!

Cheers

Ellemand

Maggie O

Happy New Year, Ellemansd, Mitch, Sean, Mike, Jim and other fellow forum-ites!

A stolen scene from the site of last night's dinner, via D-Lux 3 @ ISO 800:

Corner Booth, December, 2007