The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

d2 on parade

smokysun

finally got around to a few of these. there are everlasting discussions about whether the digilux 2 has special qualities. all i can do is repeat what one commentator said about it years ago, 'techies hate it, photographers love it.'

www.pbase.com/wwp/d2parade

Last edited:

ecliffordsmith

Wayne,

Nice shot! Looks like an interesting parade!

I have not owned this camera but you provide a good example of why many that do own the camera love it. Leica put a very nice lens on that!

smokysun

hi ed,
thanks. leica has begun refurbishing some for resale with a new sensor. very reasonable now at popflash.com when he has them.
wayne

Joan

Fun shots, Wayne! I can't wait to get my D2 back ... about another month. *sigh*

smokysun

hi joan,
thanks. did your sensor die? took me three months to get mine back but they did a beautiful job.
a few suggestions:
for close-ups, the elpro is a beautiful hunk of glass. this is the first one i've seen for sale in ages: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1213409627&sr=8-16 the price is definitely ballpark, so snap it up if you want one.
i have the panasonic wide-angle for it and it weighs more than the camera. i'd suggest a 69-72 step-up ring and see if you can find one to fit. (i paid $440 for the panasonic and i think they're rare as hen's teeth.)
baby the camera. i've seen pictures of it torn apart and there are a million tiny plastic pieces, in the lens too. this is not a 'leica' in the sense of the m8.
here's a shot from today. best of luck,
wayne

Last edited:

Joan

Hi Wayne,

No, I bought it refurbed already with a new sensor, but the previous owner must have used something caustic to clean the screen on the EVF, all the coating was worn off in the middle. Makes shooting in sunlight very difficult. So, they are going to replace it for me under warranty. Thanks goodness.

Just went straight to Amazon and the macro lens is gone, waaaah! I would have loved to get that. I'll keep looking.

Nice B&W shot. The D2's lens is amazing.

Lili

finally got around to a few of these. there are everlasting discussions about whether the digilux 2 has special qualities. all i can do is repeat what one commentator said about it years ago, 'techies hate it, photographers love it.'

www.pbase.com/wwp/d2parade
Charley,
Great shot, on the glossy screen of this new laptop, it looks almost 3D!

smokysun

hi joan,
i realized i should have kept it a secret and had you write me. sorry about that. try www.fredmiranda.com and the leica forum buy and sell. yes, leica very, very good about warranties but the service can be slow if it has to go to germany.
and lili,
i think that's the secret of the d2. the files can be given depth and dimension (with some work). it's the clarity of the lens, i think. quite different than the fuji s6000 which has a flatter look and can go in the cubist, german expressionist direction.
it's like having different paint-brushes. here's another from the d2 several days ago and quite different.
best,
wayne
ps. i suspect a distinctive style probably comes from using one camera to the hilt. alas, i get bored too easily.

Last edited: