The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Serious Compacts: The Care and Feeding Of

simonclivehughes

I wanted to let forum members know that I've written an article on Serious Compacts that, rather than being a test, is a user discussion and perspective on the Leica D-Lux 2, the Ricoh GRD II and the Ricoh GX100.

The article discusses the following:

• Introduction
  • Defining the "Serious Compact"
  • Personal Odyssey
  • Usability Issues
  • Operational Commonalities and Specifics (including parameters setups for each camera)
  • (The Dreaded) Flash
  • Shooting Strategies
  • Workflow & Processing
  • Future Thoughts

You can find the article at www.seriouscompacts.com as well as on my own website.

I hope that you will find it useful.

Cheers,

Joan

Nice article, Simon. Appreciate it, and I want to steal your D-Lux 2 in the Luigi case.:D

Terry

Nice article....a lot in common....Digilux 2 was my entrance back into photography. So, d-lux3, TZ3, M8, M8, D300, GRD2.....passed on the DP1 and waiting to see what Dr. Kaufmann gives us at Photokina.

simonclivehughes

Thanks, Terry. I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with the D300s for my main cameras at this point, and for now at least, the Ricohs are keeping me happy.

Ciao,

P

Player

Simon, thanks for the article! Well done!

I'm giving your My1 and My2 settings a go. It makes way more sense than what I had with one setting for Raw and one for jpeg. I don't think I'll be shooting too many jpegs anyway. Thanks again!

M

micampe

you've made me want the GRD II with the two lenses. baaaad simon.

cam

Please note the author assumes no responsibility for incidentl gear lust. :lecture:
don't believe a word of that nonsense! thanks to Master SimonCliveHughes, i now own Ascough Actions and an R-D1. and this evil, evil, temptress of a man doesn't feel the slightest bit a guilt about it. sheesh :rolleyes:

btw, wonderful article!