The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Noise Galore

ShiroKuro

Helen I think the color version is really good ...
Her is one from the other night of the full moon ....

Last edited:

helenhill

Its GREAT Kevin
like watching an old Foreign Flick....Wonderful Character
glad you've 'pimped' it here

Cheers! H:D

kevinparis

Foreign?... didnt you know Europe is actually all monochrome and grainy? we spend a fortune faking up those post cards you get :)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Helen,
I really like the dreamy, moody look of the photo in color. Nice.

Kevin,
I love the characters in this photo. Super capture.

sizifo

And some that are even more noisy.

Hope the MF people are not looking. This could cause permanent retina damage. :)

sizifo

Ok

we are talking small sensor, noise and artist allusions... i have already pimped this to hell on flickr .. but there is a certain rembrandtish thing oing on from this G9 bar shot

bigger files at

cheers
BTW. This is a lovely shot. Missed it previously.

Back in the ´60s and ´70s, I sometimes used a quaint submini called the Tessina (worth a long story in itself; for purely technical ingenuity, it was unique...). TriX souped in Rodinal...:toocool:

Results looked a lot like some of these images... perhaps I should dig out some old neg and scan them....

OTOH, seems more tempting to experiment with today´s tools than doing archaeology...:rolleyes:

sizifo

Back in the ´60s and ´70s, I sometimes used a quaint submini called the Tessina (worth a long story in itself; for purely technical ingenuity, it was unique...). TriX souped in Rodinal...:toocool:

Results looked a lot like some of these images... perhaps I should dig out some old neg and scan them....

OTOH, seems more tempting to experiment with today´s tools than doing archaeology...:rolleyes:
I would love to see these. Electric noise vs. chemical noise. If you get the time, I'll be looking forward to it.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
This is actually shot through a screen door. In the full res image you can just tell that it's a screen, but in the jpeg it looks an awful lot like noise. I think I like it but I don't think I can salvage it.

helenhill

Who needs to salvage.....
Love it Tim !!
:)
Sizifo:
Beautiful Colors & Softness of Light in 'Long Exposyre Noise'

Best- H

sizifo

This is again some extreme experimenting. First I massively overexpose, and then use the Aperture recovery tools to bring stuff back. The boost slider is of major importance! It is sort of the opposite of going for a film like look - the idea being to make make the digital, electric noise, come out. Of course, I'm just waiting to hear that the results are very film-like :)

Rick Waldroup

I really like the B&W shots the best. I think the noise works for most of them, especially the flickr shot you linked to. Nice stuff. Here is a self portrait I shot a few years back with a Contax G1 rangefinder camera. The film was TMax 3200, which I then processed in Rodinal which increased the grain even more. Still, it looks as though I have a bit tighter grain structure than you do with your increased noise shots.:)

sizifo

Rick, I can guess what you mean by tighter grain - but am not 100% sure? So, what do you mean by "tighter grain"?

Rick, Streetshooter: Are you referring to the last images I posted, or also to the much earlier ones - cause I never linked to a flickr file. Or are you talking about my photos at all ? :)

The grd can produce sharp looking images with high noise - see e.g. the second one in post 27. However, that photo also exhibits banding, uncalled feature of the digital sensor which in most cases ruins a photo. Most of the other ones give a lesser impression of sharpness due to camera shake, or post processing. On a lot of the earlier ones I'd lift the black point slider way higher now.

In general, I do agree that film grain is much better than what can be achieved with digital, but it's worth seeing what can be done.

Rick Waldroup

sizifo, yes, my mistake. The flickr photo was posted by Kevin and I thought it was you. By tighter structure, I simply mean that the grain is not as "clumped together" or as prominent in the shot as the noise- what we used to call "popcorn grain." Not that this is a bad or good thing- it is just different.

I really like the most of the shots you posted with the experimentation with noise. They add a certain air of immediancy and also mystery to the shots.

Last edited: