The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX100 vs GRD2: comparison picture

M

Mitch Alland

I attach the JPGs converted from RAW files developed in Lightroom, both with sharpening at 25 and a slight increase in contrast. They are both shot at ISO 200 at 28mm and with SNAP focus. Any comments on how they compare? The first is from the GX100 and the second from the GRD2.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

Last edited:
W

wbrandsma

I would say they are almost identical. The upper image is slightly warmer and a touch darker, while the lower image has a little bit more blown highlights. Is the upper image the GX100?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
They GRD2 looks to have more contrast and punch to me. Nice test images to include heavy light and dark shadows. The GX100 looks to have about a half a stop more DR to it maybe more

iansky

Hi Mitch,

Great comparison shots and I must say that I stick with my previous conclusions from using both the GRD and GX100 - The GRD2 image has that little bit more "bite" composed of better contrast and sharpness.

I can see it in particular in the area of the brown bottle on the table as well as in the large plant pot in the middle ground - I am hoping it is not my eyes and brain being biased toward the GRD but suspect not.

Guy Mancuso

We have to be careful with sharpness because contrast can fool you a little but I agree the GRD2 appears sharper.

M

Mitch Alland

Guy, come to think of it, it's not very fair of me to ask people to judge from these crummy JPGs. Looking at the TIFFs in Photoshop at 100% and 50%, it becomes quite obvious that the GRD2 file is substantially sharper, with more contrast — and I think — a bit more dynamic range. Ultimately, the prime lens has to show through! What surprises me is that I don't see more obvious barrel distortion with the zoom lens at 28mm, although it has plenty at 24m.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Guy Mancuso

I don't know Mitch i can see the jpegs pretty good of course there not the same as the master tiff's but you can get a pretty good clue. if i was buying just by image alone, need to learn more about the camera themselves i would opt for the GRD2 just by the look of the files. About distortion well we all know the wider the worse it gets but these look pretty darn good. i don't see barrel

cam

Great comparison shots and I must say that I stick with my previous conclusions from using both the GRD and GX100 - The GRD2 image has that little bit more "bite" composed of better contrast and sharpness.
i have to agree with Iansky here -- i chose the GRDII shot without batting an eye. (some of us work with crappy JPEGs, ahem!)

i really wish you had gone whole hog and included the original GRD in the mix. i know you hate testing (so i appreciate you doing this in the first place), but pretty please? very few people have access to all three to do this.

thank you.

M

Mitch Alland

Cam, I had all three cameras with me but I was at lunch with five people and just couldn't get my self to do the third shot; but why don't you have a look at the JPGs that Will provided in the "master" thread started by Sean? I think those give a pretty good idea as well — and I'm curious whether others will reach the same conclusion as I did.

—Mitch/Bangkok

W

wbrandsma

It is a close call, but I sure do believe the fixed lens is sharper. I also think the lens does make the difference between the two cams. When the GR1 arrived in the nineties, they even called it the best 28mm lens for your money. So it ought to be sharper then the GX zoom lens. I would love to get my hands on a GRD2 as a companion to my GX100.

Hank Graber

Mitch,

Can you put the originals up at yousendit.com and post a link? I'd like to see what they are like after some post adjustments.

M

Mitch Alland

I can do that if you tell me how. That is, assuming I have a broadband connection in Huahin, where I'm going tomorrow through Monday night; otherwise I'll have to do it on Tuesday. Last time I went, over two months ago, I picked up a free signal, but I don't know whether it'll still be there.

—Mitch/Bangkok

M

Mark Turney

Without a doubt to my eyes, the lower picture has the edge in terms of punch and bite - probably a bit more contrasty and sharp as mentioned above. The overall depth of #2 feels more real.

Good posting Mitch.

Thanks.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The second image looks a lot sharper to me too --- I see more detail in the label on the bottle on the cart and on the leaves of the bush at the rear.

dhsimmonds

Hi Mitch

Great comparison shots, with not too much diffrence on my screen.

Screen shots are one thing but I wonder if you have done any large print comparisons? Even soft proofs can show big differences in some lens comparisons. (Great thread by the way!)

Guy Mancuso

I can do that if you tell me how. That is, assuming I have a broadband connection in Huahin, where I'm going tomorrow through Monday night; otherwise I'll have to do it on Tuesday. Last time I went, over two months ago, I picked up a free signal, but I don't know whether it'll still be there.

—Mitch/Bangkok
Mitch a very simple way to use you send it. Is go onto there site than load up a zip file of the raws or single file depending on your need than send the e-mail to yourself. than when you get the e-mail to say download here click on that than copy the address and just post it here. I use this setup all the time for raws, plus it last 7 days and a 100 downloads . This way you don't have to do it for everyone each time. Hope that helps and yes this squire does have a good eye for that stuff. LOL Thanks

Maggie O

Without a doubt to my eyes, the lower picture has the edge in terms of punch and bite - probably a bit more contrasty and sharp as mentioned above. The overall depth of #2 feels more real.

Good posting Mitch.

Thanks.
Seconded. (Or maybe thirded by the time I post this.)

I am now gassing for a GRD II. But this isn't the season to buy things for myself.