The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

a plug for don

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
New Forum Rule

4) Pointing to services or products on your own site are considered in the same light as SPAM by many, so we do not want direct linking inside posts at GetDPI. You may post links to third-party articles, posts or even products that you feel are relevant to the GetDPI community. You may place information about your own site and/or products and services in your signature. We realize this is a "gray area," and while we believe the majority of our members will not abuse this, the moderators have full discretion to delete, edit or ban as they deem appropriate.

Please put your blogs links in your signature ONLY. Thanks Guy

simonclivehughes

Guy, just to get some clarification for the members, you quote: "Pointing to services or products on your own site"... as being forbidden. In this case, Wayne's site is not commercial at all, and no services or products appear on it. Is this still the rule for this type of a site?

I ask as my own site (and I suspect many other members's sites) is similarly non-commercial and I'd like confirmation as to not have any future issues.

Cheers,

Terry

Guy, just to get some clarification for the members, you quote: "Pointing to services or products on your own site"... as being forbidden. In this case, Wayne's site is not commercial at all, and no services or products appear on it. Is this still the rule for this type of a site?

I ask as my own site (and I suspect many other members's sites) is similarly non-commercial and I'd like confirmation as to not have any future issues.

Cheers,
There have been a number of first posts etc recently that say "hey, I'm new here come look at my blog". We don't mind if you have a blog link in your signature but aren't looking for people to simply without context point to their own site. In this case, I don't think the initial post and the intent were clear.

simonclivehughes

Again, for clarification, what about a post in which image(s) are shown and the poster might normally say:

"More at my site (URL here)"

How does that scenario work now?

Cheers,

Terry

Simon-

It is a judgement call. If you put context around the post and are contributing to the dialogue your scenario will probably be just fine.

I this case, look at the first post....and then contrast that with your scenario.

The rules really haven't changed much over time and the moderators will continue to let conversations evolve as they always have....as the forum gets larger we just need to be clearer.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Our rules are as clear as they can be, and ultimate discretion is up to the mods. The issue is we're growing rapidly, get flagged on Google top sites, and so folks want to use us a launching pad for their own endeavor. We have no problem with CONTRIBUTORS linking back to additional work AFTER they've shared images or techniques here. We have no problem with regular CONTRIBUTORS linking back to their own site asking for feedback. What we don't want are a plethora of posts that only contain, "Hey look at my site over here!" posts, with little or no content of interest to our regular members.

Cheers,

simonclivehughes

Thanks for the clarification Terry and Jack. I understand your concerns and also your desire to maintain the forum's tone and intimacy. You guys are doing an excellent job... this is still my favourite photography forum.

Ciao,

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Cheers,
Sorry Simon did not get back on this was out of town. Looks like Jack and Terry covered it.