The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is the CDHK hack not enough to make some serious compacts?

Ben Rubinstein

I don't know how widely known the CDHK hack is known but I've turned my Canon A710 IS camera into a really serious picture taking machine.

I shoot RAW, have Auto ISO (as sophisticated feature wise as on Nikon DSLR's, min shutter speed, min/max iso to use), Hyperfocal and Infinity focus settings, Grid Screen and 3:2 overlay, Live readout of subject distance/near and far DOF/hyperfocal distance all calculated from the current aperture and focal length, ISO readout even in Auto ISO, ISO far higher than the nominal 400 and 1.5 second RAW+jpg write times (!).

And that's just the features I'm using, there are a whole heck of a lot more including sophisticated intervalometer, etc, etc.

You also get games, text reader, file manager, and other goodies including customisable scripting.

I don't know any p&s that comes even close to this feature list and I paid £135 for it new. It does of course still have all the usual 'A' camera pluses of Av, Tv, Manual, single point AF, viewfinder, etc.

I had given up on p&s's for street work, the Ricoh GX100 is nice but expensive and the viewfinder takes it out of the pocket catagory. I had the original CDHK for my Canon but the write time was 5 seconds for RAW and I hated how Canon implemented their Auto ISO, it took the IS/focal length into account which meant that you might be able to handhold it but forget stopping action! There was also the problem that the original CDHK only worked with DigicII not the newer cameras with Digic III.

However the newer versions are far faster, work with Digic III and are far more sophisticated.

I think I hear a G7 calling my name! Think of it, a RAW camera without the exaggerated 12 megapixels of the G9, more fully featured and most people say sharper as well. Oh and a fraction of the price. Sounds tasty to me!

Chassidic children look through the back of the bus on the road from Jerusalem.

Canon A710 IS, RAW, 1/25 @f3.5 iso 600​

Ben Rubinstein

Another thing that really excited me was the ability to use a small accessory viewfinder (on the G7) for a single focal length set to hyperfocal focus. I find the 80% viewfinder too crappy and small to compose with properly when you need to get it right in camera given how fast these tiny pixels fall apart.

Terry

If you use it with the G7 please report back in. That could be really interesting. Once you have it on an SD card, what is the process of loading it? are you always using a card with the software on it. Have to check out used G7 prices.

A

asabet

The CHDK hack turns the Canon A series into some of the most capable value-priced compacts around. An A650 with the CHDK hack has the same lens, sensor, and capabilities as the Canon G9 plus a better grip and a flip/twist (though smaller and lower res) LCD. As for the G7 being sharper and more fully featured than the G9, that is something I haven't heard.

Ben Rubinstein

The hack is loaded on the card and is loaded up into the cameras RAM automatically with switch on, soon as you take the card out the camera returns to normal, no sign of it ever being there. It's two tiny files, no big deal about having it on each card.

Lili

The CHDK hack turns the Canon A series into some of the most capable value-priced compacts around. An A650 with the CHDK hack has the same lens, sensor, and capabilities as the Canon G9 plus a better grip and a flip/twist (though smaller and lower res) LCD. As for the G7 being sharper and more fully featured than the G9, that is something I haven't heard.

My thoughts exactly; tho it sadly lacks the ISO dial :(

Ben Rubinstein

G7 has an ISO dial!

To be honest with that level of Auto ISO, I don't need it, I can set the minimum shutter speed before it bumps the ISO up and what the highest and lowest shutter speeds are, with that level of control you don't need to change the ISO (except for flash use when it defaults to iso 100), it will keep the iso as low as possible till you can't handhold at which point it ups it rather than you losing the photo althogether. I would give my eye teeth for that on my 5D!

Amin, on the DPReview tests the A640 was bested by the G7 for sharpness and noise control, I assume the same is true for the A650 and G9 though I'm going to look it up now. To be honest I didn't want more than 10 megapixels, I want a useable iso 400.

Lili

G7 has an ISO dial!

To be honest with that level of Auto ISO, I don't need it, I can set the minimum shutter speed before it bumps the ISO up and what the highest and lowest shutter speeds are, with that level of control you don't need to change the ISO (except for flash use when it defaults to iso 100), it will keep the iso as low as possible till you can't handhold at which point it ups it rather than you losing the photo althogether. I would give my eye teeth for that on my 5D!

Amin, on the DPReview tests the A640 was bested by the G7 for sharpness and noise control, I assume the same is true for the A650 and G9 though I'm going to look it up now. To be honest I didn't want more than 10 megapixels, I want a useable iso 400.
Ben,
I was referring the A650IS, not the G7 ;)
I COMPLETELY agree with you on the "MEgaPiXel MaDNesS"
My Highest MP camera is my GRD, my K100d and S600fd are both 'only' 6MP and I have no complaints about their IQ!

Terry

I knew about CDHK for Digic II and have an A630 sitting around my apartment. Does anyone know if the CDHK for the older processing engine got all of the features put together for the Digic III version?

Ben Rubinstein

Just been doing some more research, the documentation is rather difficult to understand at places, you can replace a specific shutter speed with a multiple of the same (i.e. change the 1 sec speed to 10 sec) but you cannot enable additional shutter speeds. Some cameras can get from 1/64,000 to 64 seconds but unless you use it as a custom setting when loading up the camera (also available with the allbest hack) it's not available there 'on the dial'.

I'm trying to find out what the implementation is like on the G7, doesn't seem to be that much information.

C

Chuck A

Does anybody know what the RAW write times are for cameras like the A720, A650 and G7 using the hack? I hadn't really paid attention to the hack but now that I have read more about it it looks interesting. Also, what programs work to post process the RAW files. Are they standard RAW files that PS can use or something special?

Thanks for the info.

Ben Rubinstein

There are programs which convert the CHDK RAW files to .DNG, I find DNG4powershot to be very good, if you process using the jpg metadata then the resulting DNG is very close to perfect, it uses the same WB and colour matrix as the jpg.

Write times on my A710 are 1.5 seconds, that is blazingly fast for a p&s albeit a 7 megapixel one, they say the G7 in particular due to it's faster engine has a very rapid RAW write time.