The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GX100

W

wbrandsma

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: Great man! This is :sleep006: how I will look in 15 minutes from now! It is getting late here in the Netherlands. Good luck in New Amsterdam with purchasing CS3 :salute:

jonoslack

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: Great man! This is :sleep006: how I will look in 15 minutes from now! It is getting late here in the Netherlands. Good luck in New Amsterdam with purchasing CS3 :salute:
Hi Wouter
Lovely lovely landscape shot - mind you, I've a bone to pick with you . . Transavia have stopped flying from Stansted to Rotterdam . . . . . which means I have to drive!!!! Being Dutch, I have to assume that this is entirely your responsibility!;)
I love the way you lot bury your unsightly wires underground, ours are still sticking up waiting to be cloned.
Sleep well, my turn soon.

DavidE

Wouter,

You certainly have a keen eye for quietly dramatic, fine-toned compositions. Any Flemish painters in your family tree?

W

wbrandsma

Hi Wouter
Lovely lovely landscape shot - mind you, I've a bone to pick with you . . Transavia have stopped flying from Stansted to Rotterdam . . . . . which means I have to drive!!!! Being Dutch, I have to assume that this is entirely your responsibility!;)
I love the way you lot bury your unsightly wires underground, ours are still sticking up waiting to be cloned.
Sleep well, my turn soon.
:ROTFL: I love this quote Jono. It is still almost a 1.5 hour drive from Rotterdam to my place. And I am not "Geert Wilders" so you are free to come. It is ought by the way that Transavia stopped flying from Stansted. According to their site it is still possible?!?
At my place they only buried the wires underground near villages and cities. Go to Friesland or Groningen instead. In the second previous photo with the river and bridge wires can be seen to the left.

I will be waiting for your photos :thumbs:

W

wbrandsma

Wouter,

You certainly have a keen eye for quietly dramatic, fine-toned compositions. Any Flemish painters in your family tree?
Thank you David. No Flemish painters in my family tree, but I feel certainly inspired by the older Flemish and Dutch painters. They painted the most beautiful and dramatic skies.

jonoslack

:ROTFL: I love this quote Jono. It is still almost a 1.5 hour drive from Rotterdam to my place. And I am not "Geert Wilders" so you are free to come. It is ought by the way that Transavia stopped flying from Stansted. According to their site it is still possible?!?
At my place they only buried the wires underground near villages and cities. Go to Friesland or Groningen instead. In the second previous photo with the river and bridge wires can be seen to the left.

I will be waiting for your photos :thumbs:
Hi There
Transavia are flying until 31st March - it's been such a nice flight with empty airoplanes (could give you a clue why they're stopping it!).
Nice of you to give permission, but if you really knew me you might put on your Geert Hat for the afternoon!
Unfortunately I'll be in Klundert most of the time working, but I sometimes spend time in Bergen op Zoom (where I stay), which is a little more er. . . photogenic!
Here are some pictures from previous trips (nothing very splendid I'm afraid):

Delft 2005
April 2006
Bergen op Zoom
Quiz Night

If I fly to Rotterdam, adding together getting to the airport, parking, security, flying, getting out of the airport, getting a taxi, getting to the client . . . it takes about 6 hours - which is pretty much how long it'll take to drive through the tunnel (and I might even stop of at Bruges for a couple of hours on the way).

C

Christi Mac

Well I turned 37 today and managed to get myself a GX100 as a present :) So far i'm loving it. I found the interface pretty easy to get to grips with and very very flexible. I especially like the My Settings 1 and 2 on the main dial. Customisable interfaces are the way forward imo and this is so customisable it's unbelievable.

I'm probably going to get the VF-1 soon as I can't really get on with framing on the back screen.

I'm just getting to grips with it, but it does feel a little like my old Minox 35 which was really the point. I wanted rid of the SLR and able to react quietly and quickly to the things I see. This seems to do that impeccably and as a result I'm extremely happy with it. Shooting square is a real bonus for me and as discussed in another thread it's pretty much how I "see" things. I like the static format and I love juxtaposing action within it. The only shame really is that I can't shoot RAW 1:1 format ... yet. Hopefully a firmware update will see to that sometime soon.

Once I learn how to get the best out of it Dynamic Range-wise I can see myself hanging up my SLR on a more permanent basis.

A few hastily "LightRoomed" samples from my first outing with it this morning. Not exactly how I'd like them and I'll probably come back to this thread and hang my head in shame but hey - for now I'm excited :)

Lili

Christi Mac
Congratualtions and Happy Birthday!
I like the shots you posted, esp the overhead one of the pedestrians.
No Shame at all there!

Edit; the Minox 35 are great little cameras, aren't they?

Last edited:

Lili

Yes, I still have a couple though I haven't used either for a while.

and happy anniversary of your birthday, Christi !
Bertie,
My first 'real' camera was an old 35el my Dad gave me while I was in High School. Loved that little camera; it quite spoiled me and I cried when it was stolen in college.
I have a 35gl now I got from Dan Goldberg, haven't used it in a bit though :(

jonoslack

HI Christi
Welcome - and happy birthday (all in one). I'm sure you'll love the GX100, I'm personally rather against small sensor cameras, but keep coming back to this one.

Well I turned 37 today and managed to get myself a GX100 as a present :) So far i'm loving it. I found the interface pretty easy to get to grips with and very very flexible. I especially like the My Settings 1 and 2 on the main dial. Customisable interfaces are the way forward imo and this is so customisable it's unbelievable.
A few hastily "LightRoomed" samples from my first outing with it this morning. Not exactly how I'd like them and I'll probably come back to this thread and hang my head in shame but hey - for now I'm excited :)
I love the first two shots (especially the first). The PP looks pretty good to me.

W

wbrandsma

Hi There
Transavia are flying until 31st March - it's been such a nice flight with empty airoplanes (could give you a clue why they're stopping it!).
Nice of you to give permission, but if you really knew me you might put on your Geert Hat for the afternoon!
Unfortunately I'll be in Klundert most of the time working, but I sometimes spend time in Bergen op Zoom (where I stay), which is a little more er. . . photogenic!
Here are some pictures from previous trips (nothing very splendid I'm afraid):

Delft 2005
April 2006
Bergen op Zoom
Quiz Night

If I fly to Rotterdam, adding together getting to the airport, parking, security, flying, getting out of the airport, getting a taxi, getting to the client . . . it takes about 6 hours - which is pretty much how long it'll take to drive through the tunnel (and I might even stop of at Bruges for a couple of hours on the way).
I know Bergen op Zoom pretty well. It is a beautiful city near Antwerpen. My favorite place there is just south of the city from where you have a great view to the province of Zeeland and the harbours of Antwerpen. Also the Wouwse Plantage is fantastic.
I really love your photos of Bergen op Zoom, but I also checked the rest of your photos on your site. My absolute favorite is the L7010154a - Version 2 from your Suffolk January 2008 gallery. Stunning!

Did you check Willemstad by the way? Is not that far from Klundert and really pretty.

W

wbrandsma

Well I turned 37 today and managed to get myself a GX100 as a present :)
Congratulations Christi :thumbs: and what a beautiful gift :clap: Those photos are wonderful. You seem to cope well with the dynamic range of the camera. The light is stunning, especially in the second photo.

helenhill

YEAH :clap: HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRISTI
Loved your first shots w/the GX100 ....... Moody & Crisp.... All the Best-Helen

jonoslack

I know Bergen op Zoom pretty well. It is a beautiful city near Antwerpen. My favorite place there is just south of the city from where you have a great view to the province of Zeeland and the harbours of Antwerpen. Also the Wouwse Plantage is fantastic.
I really love your photos of Bergen op Zoom, but I also checked the rest of your photos on your site. My absolute favorite is the L7010154a - Version 2 from your Suffolk January 2008 gallery. Stunning!

Did you check Willemstad by the way? Is not that far from Klundert and really pretty.
Hi There
I'll have to try and do some investigation - I've never been a free agent before (i.e. flying and then relying on taxis / business associates cars). Willemstad sounds like a definite, and south of Bergen op Zoom too. Trouble is that it's really supposed to be work (they are paying after all!).

Where do you live?

Glad you liked the 'bush and cloud' shot - it's a theme I've been concentrating on lately, and there are lots more to come.

jonoslack

Jono, what a super photo: it reminds me very much of the b/w days when the discussions were about yellow and orange filters...
Hi Bertie
Thank you.
Yes indeed - Aperture has them now - much easier than using the real thing!
They were a bit stacked up for this shot though!