The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GX100

srw

For a more rugged case, I found the GX100 fits perfect in a Pelican 1030

Here with the EVF and a spare battery
In place of the EVF, the HA-2 adapter and a filter will fit also

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I like the GX100, and the 19mm attachment is surprisingly good. It has quite a bit of barrel distortion though. But on the whole, as a P&S goes it's a good camera and perfect when you always want something on hand for those unplanned opportunities.

A

asabet

Several folks in the GRD2 threads are posting shots from inside their cars. Here's one from mine today, taken as I was driving into Baltimore. GX100 at 24mm (equivalent) and about 70mph :D.

A

asabet

When folks discuss film-like noise, the GRD gets the most praise; but for high ISO (800 and 1600) in-camera JPEGs, the GX100 is the best around IMO. Here's a quick ISO 1600 snap of my son with my mother-in-law taken yesterday:

The full-size in-camera JPEG can be seen here. The only processing was a bit of contrast boost.

C

Chris

Excellent pictures, asabet!

I usually take pictures at very low ISO. But a few days ago, I tried at 400. I took them just as jpeg as I had little memory space left.

For the next one I used a preset-PP-method which probably added a bit grain.

Best regards,
Chris
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21306283@N05/

gromitspapa

I tried a few P&S cameras, looking for the best quality I could get. I've been really pleased with what the GX100 can put out. 1/5 sec, f/3.8, ISO 154, EV -0.7:

Same, except EV -1.3:

1/30 sec, f/2.5, ISO 336, EV -0.3, converted in Photoshop:

Last edited:

srw

A few days ago I dropped the GX100 from about 4 feet.(stupid me)
I watched in horror as it bounced a few times on the concrete (it was powered on too)
Everything seemed ok until I turned it off, the lens wouldn't retract
A little wiggle and shake and it was back to normal and a couple hundred photos later it appears there are no problems

Tough little camera

Here's some shots from today and yesterday

W

wbrandsma

That is a horrible scene you are describing Shawn, but I'm glad your GX took it so well. Excellent work by the way. I especially like the first one.
In the Netherlands we had a few colder days and the GX100 worked fine without any problems in freezing conditions. No problems with the battery either.

J

Joel.Gottlieb

Mitch

re: using LR as a light table (and presumeably a file Library) and LZ for editing

How do you get around the huge Tiff files (10x) created when you go from LR to LZ editing? My 250 gb disk is disappearing fast and file saving time is becoming unwieldy. Further complicated if one uses PS for some of its special tools.

There is an awkward workaround. Import into LZ. Save as JPG (includes RAW file). Import (drag) into LR. In LR, use JPG-LZ to return to LZ for editing. Re-sav edits as JPG-LZ. Apparently the JPG-LZ carries the edits but always points to the RAW file so no information is lost. If some one knew how to automate the intake process......

Joel

M

Mitch Alland

Joel:

I haven't experienced the 10x expansion that you refer to, as a DNG file from the GX100 is 14.4MB while the TIFF file that LightZone saves is usually about 50MB. All I do is to archive the TIFF files on DVDs.

—Mitch/Bangkok

W

wbrandsma

If you edit a raw file from Lightroom in Lightzone with the Edit in Lightzone command, your raw file will first be saved as a Tiff (16 bits). In that case the file can extend 100Mb. But if you drag the thumbnail of the raw file to the Lightzone desktop shortcut, Lightzone will open the raw file instead.

Irenaeus

Thanks, Sean, for your response to my asking for the GRD1 to be included in your forthcoming review. In the forgettable words of Henry Fonda in an even more forgettable cowboy buddy film, "Anything you say will just tickle me plumb to death!"

Thanks, too, Guy, for the link re posting images. I'd known it was there but it was too late at night to search and figure out. Thanks, too, for your generous posting policies.

SO, last October I had the use of a GX-100 for a while and has a great time with it in San Francisco. Here's one to add to the forum's "taken from the car" collection. (When doing PP on the RAW, by the way, I do to intend tighten up the composition just a little bit on the sides and along the bottom.)

Irenaeus

Here's my second image posted (though it may appear before the other.) It's of an Eastern Orthodox Christian priest, taken with a GX-100, in an airplane, no PP yet, but it did prompt a small poem. (One of my goals is to be able to integrate verbal and visual elements in some of my final prints.) Here's the haiku:

Even in sleep
the light can find
a caring ear
and listening heart

L

Larky

Hello everyone, nice to see a GX-100 thread. I've come from the Rangefinder Forums, although I love film and RF's, the GX-100 with the EVF is like my digital RF! :)

Anyway, this is a great thread, I am about to purchase LightZone, never heard of it before.

A.

R

rsgl

I welcome any critique of these GX-100 shots. They were worked on in Lightroom. They are all available light, hand held, using the 24 mm. equivalent focal length.

Rob

W

wbrandsma

The portrait is beautiful and top! The rimples and skintexture works so well in B&W. And the incar shot is by far one of the best I have seen here (it is great to see an American in an European car :thumbs:).

L

Larky

Some stunning pictures here, making me want to go out and shoot instead of work. Anyhoo, I was wonderng what cards people are using with the GX-100? I have the Extreme III 4GB, and RAW takes about 8 seconds to save. I see two RAW formats, wondering which people are using?