The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GX100

S

Sean_Reid

Right before Christmas, I was diagnosed with cancer. I have had surgery and treatment, and haven't been able to get out and photograph too much. Yesterday, I arrived at the Mayo Clinic (Jacksonville, Florida) before sunrise to have a total body scan (to look for more cancer).

The news was GREAT and now I can move on to the rest of my life!:clap:
Hi Cindy,

I'm very glad to hear that news. My best friend was also diagnosed with cancer last year and it has been a long and tough road. All the best.

Sean

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Sean_Reid said:
Hi Cindy,

I'm very glad to hear that news. My best friend was also diagnosed with cancer last year and it has been a long and tough road. All the best.

Sean
Sean,
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. It is a very scary road. I wish a full recovery for your friend.
I was so lucky that mine was found by a fluke. It had already become invasive, so by the time I felt symptoms, it might have been too late. I am very grateful, and I just received the BEST care from the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, AZ and Jacksonville, FL.
[/quote]

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Gosh, I didn't mean to hijack this thread away from the wonderful GX100. I'm off to take some shots with it! Let's get back on track.:angel:

Robert Campbell

There's a new firmware for the GX100.

http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/download/firmware/gx100/

The instructions are mildly incoherent. I found it easier to download and then unzip the files, and copy them via a card reader to a newly formatted card - so there can be no uncertainty as to whether the files are in the root or not. Put the card into the camera, then follow the instructions.

helenhill

Love the first shot in particular...
How Divine & Blessed You Are....Utterly Fantastic News!!!!!:)
All The Best to You - helen

W

wbrandsma

Found some little time between the rain, hail and snow for a photo.

D

dickinsonjon

That's a fine photo there Wouter. I may have missed it in reading the forum somewhere, but what's your preference for jpeg in camera vs. RAW, and how do you choose to do your B&W conversions?

Cheers
JD

DavidE

Wouter,

That last photo is especially fine. The dramatic sky is a terrific counterbalance to the rest of the image.

It's one of the best arguments I've seen that small sensor Ricoh cameras can successfully compete with a DSLR in terms of b&w dynamic range

W

wbrandsma

Thank you JD and David. Regarding my B&W photos I use the RAW files for the B&W conversion. There is some extended dynamic range and you can recover highlights much better. I used Lightzone before, but returned to Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop CS3.
I do my conversion in Lightroom. And use Photoshop for selective tonal adjustments with the curves adjustments.

D

dickinsonjon

There's obviously a lot of data to play with shooting RAW. Did you find Lightzone lacking in the B&W conversion area, or did you move for other reasons? I'd be interested to know, as I haven't invested in any of these tools yet.

Thanks
JD

W

wbrandsma

Lightzone is a very good tool for B&W conversion and I love the ease of use of the selection tool. I didn't like the colourresults though and it is rather slow. Besides that I have some doubts about the continuity of this application.
Photoshop is a power house. It offers so much. It is the number one tool for me.

JDavila

I also found Lightzone to be painfully slow.

I realized that you find a bridge and pause for 5 minutes couples will stop and smooch. They didn't even notice I was there, plus it helps that the GX100 is so discrete. It's as if they posed for the shot.

JD

helenhill

I also found Lightzone to be painfully slow.

I realized that you find a bridge and pause for 5 minutes couples will stop and smooch. They didn't even notice I was there, plus it helps that the GX100 is so discrete. It's as if they posed for the shot.JD
Beautiful...... Central Park amidst kisses......On the Bridge of Love

and since i"m a newbie re: PP .
I literally just downloaded a trial of LightRoom / seems easy with abit of tinkering.
In lightroom is their a tool to finesse specific areas ?
Thanks for your help out there.....
Happy Easter / May the Easter Bunny be Good to You!! Cheers helen

W

wbrandsma

Unfortunately not Helen. You can't adjust a specific area. You have to use additional applications like Photoshop or Lightzone for doing so.

Happy Easter too!