The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GX100

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
H A P P Y - B " D A Y - C H R I S T I

Looks like you have already put the present to very good use. I like the first one, particularly the angle of view combined with the fact that the person near the rail is turning back which connects us with the figure on the other side. There is also another figure who seems to be turning slightly towards the one looking back. There is a twisting back against the general movement of the photo and once we are pushed back we are once again propelled forward. Very nice.

W

wbrandsma

Where do you live?

Glad you liked the 'bush and cloud' shot - it's a theme I've been concentrating on lately, and there are lots more to come.
I live in Ede (see here) in the province of Gelderland. It is centered between Utrecht and Arnhem a long highway A12.

I love to see more of you 'bush and cloud' photos.

What is you occumpation and what brings you to Klundert? The harbour of Moerdijk is nearby.

C

Christi Mac

Thanks all for your birthday wishes :)

Christi Mac
I like the shots you posted <snip> Edit; the Minox 35 are great little cameras, aren't they?
Thanks Lili - I've come back to them today and am still pleased with the first two which is always a good sign :). and yes the Minox 35s are stunners imo - mine was my little baby for a very long time.

HI Christi
I love the first two shots (especially the first). The PP looks pretty good to me.
Thanks Jono - it's a relief to hear that - I still haven't gotten round to calibrating the monitor on my newly "flattened" system. Always a worry that others aren't seeing the shots the way you are.

Congratulations Christi :thumbs: <snip > The light is stunning, especially in the second photo.
Thanks Wouter - that shot was really me experimenting. i wanted to see if I could come up with the style of square format shot that I used to gravitate towards with my old Mamiya 6 MF - the answer would appear to be yes which pleases me greatly as it has implications for a series I had been working on until a couple of years ago when the Mamiya flew the nest.

cmb_

Thanks for that - I took several shots from there waiting for some kind of pleasing pattern to appear. the glances are a happy accident that I only really noticed in LightRoom but you're right it does really help the eye to move around the image imo.

It's been a real boost to get these comments from you folks... expect more shots soon :)

Jono - I really like the landscape. I can imagine that stack of gaffer-taped* filters right now as if it were the mid 1990s once again.

*don't know about anyone else - but gaffer tape was probably my most used piece of photographic equipment. We built entire studios out of the stuff - to the point where we referred to it as "Dark Matter", the stuff that binds the universe together...

jonoslack

What is you occumpation and what brings you to Klundert? The harbour of Moerdijk is nearby.
Hi Wouter
I'm not sure what an occumpation is:p, but I suspect you want to know that I have a software package which I wrote, and which I supply to engineering companies. So, actually I'm going to the industrial estate between Klundert and Moerdijk (I didn't know there was a harbour there though).

W

wbrandsma

I am glad you interpreted my miswriting as "occupation"! I was already thinking about Moerdijk so the "M" made its unexpected entry in occupation. You can see the harbour here.

I don't get there that often, but in May someday I will go to Zierikzee to see a photo exhibition. Maybe, if I have enough time, I will make some photos there.

C

Christi Mac

Well these are the last of my tests - I'm very happy with the thing now and I reckon I've probably shot around 500 images since I got the camera on Thursday. It really has freed me up and in some ways made me realise that jumping on the 4/3 bandwagon early ( I still have my e-300 slr, but not for long ) was a mistake purely in terms of my process. It's been refreshing coming back to 3:2 and 1:1 format and there's definitely something about those formats that speaks *through* me more than the 4:3 in my Oly has.

It's not that I don't like other peoples work in other formats but I just can't see in them myself. Psychology eh...? Crazy thing.

W

wbrandsma

Absolutely stunning photos Christ Mac! I also prefer framing with the 3:2 format. You shoot jpeg now or have you already tried the RAW files?

kai.e.g.

Fantastic work... you guys are the GX-100 Kings! (can that be made to rhyme with Gypsie Kings?)

Hey Wouter, you once said that given a 2nd choice, you'd have bought a GRD-2 instead of GX-100 (if it had been available at the time). But so many of your superb shots are taken at 24mm... do you still think you'd prefer the GRD-2?

W

wbrandsma

I still think I would have bought the GRDII if it was available. But I would probably also buy the GW-1 wide conversion lens. The GX100 lens is beautiful and versatile (though I personally use the 50mm as my maximum focal length). But the lens is also my biggest concern. The GX100 has far more dust problems in my opinion than any other compact camera and I think the lens is the weakest part.
But I must also say I love the output of the GX100. The raw files are great and I found a good technique to get the look I want.

C

Christi Mac

Thanks everyone - got to say I love the the way the GX100 handles tone. I think I barely spent more than 3 or 4 minutes in LR for any single one of those shots.

Absolutely stunning photos Christ Mac! I also prefer framing with the 3:2 format. You shoot jpeg now or have you already tried the RAW files?

Wouter, I'm still shooting Jpeg at the moment. I've been treating it a bit like slide photography back in the day - get the exposure spot on and know exactly what you want to with the highlights from before you press the shutter button. That approach seems to work well for the GX100 in a very dynamic environment such as the shopping centre above.

Now that I'm getting more comfortable with framing via the back screen I reckon I'll move to RAW and take a less scatter-shot approach. That shot you posted is beautiful and has precisely the kind of tone I'm looking to work with. I take it that's RAW you're working with there. Are you doing anything specific with your process to compress the tonal range? Or are you picking the right day for your shots... back in my medium / large format days I used to love shooting on dull days and then spreading those tonal zones around the image :)

As for the GRDII - I was tempted but like Wouter it wasn't available at the time - plus I really wanted that step zoom and 50 mm prime equivalent. I'm certainly not disappointed in the slightest with the choice - but having read this forum first I always make sure I have the lens cap on when I'm wandering around.

Last edited:
W

wbrandsma

I almost entirely work with RAW. I use Lightoom to process my RAW files. For every region I want to adjust (like, sky, trees, foreground, or anything specifically) I make a virtual copy and adjust the images to my likings. For the B&W conversion I never use the grayscale option, but always first desaturate all the colours. For I drag all the saturation sliders to -100 and adjust the luminance sliders to get the result I want. I than export all the virtual copies to 16 bit TIFFS. I layer my image in Photoshop and use masks to blend everything digitally. After that I use some extra curves in Photoshop for further local adjustments. I don't sharpen and denoise my images in Lightroom. I do all my sharpening in Photoshop instead (no noisereduction applied).

Maybe in a year of two I might buy the GRDII as an end of life product :D

cam

fantastic photos, Christi and Wouter! beautiful tonality!!!

Wouter -- you know i just get lost in your images all the time so i won't do my usual gushing as it's so redundant. you are the master!

Christi -- since you're still shooting JPEG, you definitely made the right decision in going with the GX100. the original GRD was king, but the GX100 is no slouch. the GRDII still uses NR (even when it is switched off) and the JPEGs can get artifacts and lose detail in chunks of solid colours that is truly annoying. (for example, that black coat in the second pic of yours. it could easily have gotten mucked with the GRDII JPEG. then again, you are much more careful with your exposure than i ever am as i shoot on the fly.)

nostatic

you guys are making it nearly impossible for me to pull the trigger on a GRD2 with these shots...great stuff