The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GX100

C

Christi Mac

I almost entirely work with RAW. I use Lightoom to process my RAW files. For every region I want to adjust (like, sky, trees, foreground, or anything specifically) I make a virtual copy and adjust the images to my likings. For the B&W conversion I never use the grayscale option, but always first desaturate all the colours. For I drag all the saturation sliders to -100 and adjust the luminance sliders to get the result I want. I than export all the virtual copies to 16 bit TIFFS. I layer my image in Photoshop and use masks to blend everything digitally. After that I use some extra curves in Photoshop for further local adjustments. I don't sharpen and denoise my images in Lightroom. I do all my sharpening in Photoshop instead (no noisereduction applied).

Maybe in a year of two I might buy the GRDII as an end of life product :D
That's brilliant info - exactly the kind of process I think I would plump for myself as it replicates very closely the complex masking and burning process I used in the darkroom. I'll have a play with that system Wouter :)

Beautiful shot there too :)

fantastic photos, Christi and Wouter! beautiful tonality!!!

Wouter -- you know i just get lost in your images all the time so i won't do my usual gushing as it's so redundant. you are the master!

Christi -- since you're still shooting JPEG, you definitely made the right decision in going with the GX100. the original GRD was king, but the GX100 is no slouch. the GRDII still uses NR (even when it is switched off) and the JPEGs can get artifacts and lose detail in chunks of solid colours that is truly annoying. (for example, that black coat in the second pic of yours. it could easily have gotten mucked with the GRDII JPEG. then again, you are much more careful with your exposure than i ever am as i shoot on the fly.)
The fact that it's still there even when you switch it off would really annoy me I think. I'll be moving towards RAW now but the write times are slow *and* RAW isn't available in 1:1 with the GX100 yet, so for a lot of my stuff I feel Jpeg may still be the way forward for me - especially street work.

W

wbrandsma

Excellent social documentary photograph Jeff. In the meantime nature can get urbanized too.

JDavila

Thanks Wouter,

These guys were having a tea party behind the Key food parking lot. I had to be real quick with the shot.

As usual Wouter Beautiful tonality in your shot. I cant wait to start working in RAW. :banghead:

W

wbrandsma

Excellent social documentary photograph Jeff. In the meantime nature can get urbanized too.

I didn't notice it first, but on this photo you can see the famous GX100 "blob". Just right of the tree above the roof. That is the second time I got dust in my lens of the GX100 within a half year :thumbdown:.

JDavila

Wouter,

I don't really see it, prob because I'm half blind.

What about hot pixels, I think that is what they are called. Should I be worried if they show up allot in low light situations? or in any situation?

jd

W

wbrandsma

Hi Jeff,
You might see some hotpixels with longer exposures, but nothing to worry about. The dust problem is certainly a bigger problem. And it is really hard to avoid it too.

I show another example with the dust spot. It is on the same height.

JDavila

Wouter,

Now I see it!!!

I'm just amazed how your able to get dust in the shape of a big black arrow :bugeyes:

I'm going to have to be real careful.

jeff

P

PeterLeyssens

Just ordered my Ricoh GX100

Hi,

I just ordered my Ricoh GX-1000 and I'm really looking forward to it ! I got 2*4Gb Extreme III cards because 3*2Gb wasn't cheaper. Also ordered: a Domke F-945 to store it (+ some other stuff) in. Coming up next: Leica SBOOI (for the connoisseurs): a 50mm viewfinder. And probably a Nexto Multi 1 to backup my flash cards. Being the fastest backup device and with very good support at only €95 (I still have a hard disk laying around), it's a steal.

I'm slightly nervous ! This will be my first digital camera after a period of rangefinders :)

Peter.

antara

Hi,
I am a new owner of the GX100. Some of my first test shots were in a dark bar, waiting for my shrimp scampi to go. Using ISO 800 B&W. You may look here at 3 shots here. http://antara11.blogspot.com/
I am beginning a series on street photography of Main Street in Santa Monica. Its an interesting combination of many characters, from the homeless to the raw fooders, to the artists, to the well to do new mothers and babies, to the bicyclists with yoga mats, etc.
The color photos are from the Olympus 8080, which I no longer have. Click to enlarge. Comments welcome.

I am eager to participate in this forum. Have been studying and admiring the work and experience here. I posted in the dpreview Ricoh forum a histogram question and got little response. If any of you would care to look and comment, I would appreciate it. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1013&thread=27366631
Best,
Antara

pollobarca

JDavila

I still cant work in Raw but I will not let that stop me :D

Love all the shots recently posted by the way. Man that beer looks great Antara. YUUUMMMMMMM!!!!!!

jd

C

Chris

I have been busy lately and today is the first time since quite a while that I visit this forum. I am very pleased to see so many great photographs and to see all the new GX100 owners.

JDavila

Now thats the difference between pp Raw and pp Jpeg. You just cant sharpen and bump up contrast in Jpeg without blowing out the shot.

Great shots Chris!!!

May I ask what program your processing your shots in? Love your stuff.

Jeff