The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GX100

C

Chris

Thank you very much, Jeff. I also like your work very much.

I use FixFoto, a cheap and easy german program. I am not a great pp crack. For my b/w pictures, I usually just use the Automatic Image Optimizing (there are various options - some are add-ons - the one I use mostly is called i2e). Afterwards, I use the add-on Monochromix, which allows to darken (and lighten) the shadows, adjust the mid-tones and brighter areas and you also can change the gradation and some other things.
If the photo is in colour, you can try different filters or preset filmlike simulations in this add-on.

Anyway, I don't like the program for RAW files. So I use different ones for the RAW conversion. But after shooting in RAW in the first months, now I almost always shoot in jpgs (in b/w). I noticed, that my RAW conversion skills are not good enough to get significantly better results in RAW in about 90% of the cases (percentage is estimated ;-) ).
Many times, I have blown highlights, but I even had them in RAW sometimes. I am not sure if this is due to the harsh light (I often shoot at noon) or if it is due to my way of exposure (I mostly prefer to adjust it for the people rather than for the sky).

Something I really like about FixFoto is, that you can upgrade to new versions without having to pay again.

Edit: It looks like FixFoto is called PhotoPerfect in english... But I am not sure if it is exactly the same.

Last edited:
A

Allan Rostron

I've been inspired by the many wonderful photos appearing in this forum to do a bit more photography, so here are a few shots I've taken with a Ricoh GX100. The black-and-white ones were processed in Lightzone using two variants of the recipes described by Mitch either here or in the Ricoh Forum on DPReview, then a bit of tweaking in Photoshop.
The shots were taken in Western Australia; those with the big rocks and the ocean and the cafe scene were taken in Perth; the three girls jumping and the dead tree were taken in the south-west corner of WA.

Will

I haven't been using my GX100 much lately but I had it in the car with me yesterday and saw these pigeons. Luckily I had it set on snap focus so I managed to catch the flight. Not the best shot ever, but illustrates the advantage of being able to always have a camera to hand.

W

wbrandsma

Great work Allan, Will, and Cindy!
After only a week my camera is back from service repair. They replaced the lens assy (again), checked the camera, and I am just glad it is back :D

W

wbrandsma

Excellent perspective and great photo Simon. I like the toning too.

Joan

Ditto, Brian.

Loving these GX-100 shots. Inspirational to say the least and speak well for the capabilities of this little cam.

Great work, all!

W

wbrandsma

Thank you Peter. It took only a week :thumbs: In total 1.5 weeks including contacting and arranging the collecting date. I am very pleased with the excellent service.

But I have no strategy to avoid dust. I asked Ricoh if the HA-2 adapter was an option, but they didn't know. They said the GX100 was an 'indoor' camera. So I will keep on using the camera anyway.

P

pcheywood

Thought it was about time to add a picture from my GX100.

View attachment 3103

Central World in Bangkok, around the time of the Chinese New Year festivities. I'm still not sure whether I like the red lanterns or not though?

Paul.

W

wbrandsma

Great composition Paul. There is a lot of depth in your photo. I personally not a fan of selective colouring and would love to see a B&W version as well.

I thought I would add some colour in my work too.