The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GX100

helenhill

Wouter
Your B&W is always dead on FAB
The Color shot is wonderful in terms of Composition & delicacy of tones ;)
+++++++++++++
Paul /pcheywood
Loved the two tone quality in your shot /Pure Magic......there is an other worldliness about it which I don't think could be achieved in Pure B&W

Last edited:

pollobarca

All,
going home from work saw people stopping their cars and motorbikes to shoot this scene of a potato field-there's a lot of people running round with digicams in their pockets!

Waited for the sun to get a little lower , got out the Gx100 and a polarizer.I think I didnt need to use the polarizer but the flowers were really
reflecting a lot of sun.Behind me Blue sky-in front a storm coming up.Spot on the left is a bird.All CC welcome ,especially criticism-
all the bast

paul

Will

Thought it was about time to add a picture from my GX100.

View attachment 3103

Central World in Bangkok, around the time of the Chinese New Year festivities. I'm still not sure whether I like the red lanterns or not though?

Paul.

I think the red lanterns work spectacularly in this shot. I'm not usually all that keen on selective colouring either, but this image is so strong, and it is done in such a graphic way that it really works well. I think the difference between this example and a lot of other selective colour images is that this image would work well in pure B&W, so it isn't a case of an image being rescued by the use of colour.

Lili

Good Catch :)
All,
going home from work saw people stopping their cars and motorbikes to shoot this scene of a potato field-there's a lot of people running round with digicams in their pockets!

Waited for the sun to get a little lower , got out the Gx100 and a polarizer.I think I didnt need to use the polarizer but the flowers were really
reflecting a lot of sun.Behind me Blue sky-in front a storm coming up.Spot on the left is a bird.All CC welcome ,especially criticism-
all the bast

paul

simonclivehughes

Paul,

It's a nice scene, captured well. My comment would be that I think I would have tried to include more foreground as it's more of a "payoff" than the sky. If the top of the shot was level with the top part of the white area (in the left side) of the sky, I think you still have enough drama in the upper part of the image but it would allow the flowers to dominate more.

There you go, $0.02!

Cheers,

Will

I didn't realise that you could get yellow flowered potato plants. Looks a bit like what we call oil seed rape (Brassica napus) in the UK.

pollobarca

Thanks Simon-I will be trying that-I have been looking at the cropping I can do, thats one I havent tried (tried 1:1 as well as 3:2 with more foreground but not as much as you say to try).
Will
rapeseed-Dead right.My mum always called these yellow fields potato so thats what i thought.I did check on wiki (not very well)and the flowers are either purple,silver or yellow.Checked out wiki again and its rapeseed.the leaves are a giveaway!Thanks will correction being made to Flickr.:eek:

b rgds

paul

actually done the crop-wow thats a lot better thankls Simon:-

Last edited:

simonclivehughes

Paul,

A final kick at the cat... your horizon looks tilted slightly down to the lower left and I might try to burn in the clouds just a bit to add some extra drama and increase the contrast between upper and lower.

Ciao,

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Paul,
The crop really brings out this photo. I concur that I would burn the sky a little, but I would also dodge those trees in front of the mountain. This is a beautiful shot!

W

wbrandsma

Excellent photo Paul and the crop works really well. I also agree with Cindy about dodging the trees in front of the mountain.

pollobarca

Another great pic Wouter.

Thanks to all for the constructive criticism.To the right of this scene is a concrete industrial estate,left too.Behind the trees more concrete....I'm surprised the cranes arent visible too.
Now theres the old new government we'll soon take care of this space with some concrete.:cry:

b rgds
and thanks again
paul

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Paul,
If it wasn't an excellent photo to begin with, no one would have said anything. Your photo has so much potential that it was hard to ignore the suggestion. Everyone can feel free to make suggestions on mine anytime.

W

wbrandsma

We had wonderful weather this week with beautiful light in the evening. I had lots of doubts though about these photos, because I prefer B&W, but I thought these would work so well in colour too.