The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GX100

pollobarca

Some lovely pictures Gandolfi . I was going to ask what loco it was but I saw the number 60019 . The Bittern, Gresley A4. I once had a TT guage Mallard.

How did you get round the hot pixels on your GX100 (if you have any), Dark Frame?

b rgds

paul

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Gandolfi, what an amazingly different subject! I often satellite watch with my children but I have never thought of photographing them. It worked really well. Some beautiful deep blues in there and I love the splash of colour the tree makes.
Will, Thanks for your comments. Yes those midnight blues were wonderful-when you consider it all came out of a package smaller than a Box Brownie with the aid of some meagre manipulation in iPhoto ( I do however think there is a 'fairy-dust' filter in the GX100 which activates only at stellar moments such as this!). Some of the lighter star streaks must be stars of magnitudes 5 & 6, which is verging on the faint.
I did get mildly excited by the pale blue blob ( looks a bit like a smilie ) about 1/3 up from the bottom and 1/4 of the way in from left hand side which is vaguely in the location of M32 in Andromeda- in which case this would possibly have been the first photograph of an elliptical galaxy ever taken with a small sensor camera!!- but I decided I was fantasizing!!
You can get the here and now position of the I.S.S. from here-http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7321116.stm#map
and great astronomy pics and great archive at-http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html
Cheers,
Gandolfi.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Paul-Cheers. Fine bit of sleuthing for the Bittern-you old anorak! I had the obligatory Hornby Dublo train set. Much fun it was too.
As for the hot pixels, well I'm afraid there weren't any. And I had never heard of 'Dark Frame', but I found an explanation on Wikipedia-you have to take a pic in the dark and then subtract that from the photo you are working with- I shall have to investigate further in due course.
Happy pixel popping.
Gandolfi.

pollobarca

Gandolfi,
Yes ex Model Railway Club member, when a kid. Mine was a Bec Models
whitemetal Kit .:)
Last evening the Cactus flowered on my balcony- so I used yhe GX100 hand held and with internal flash on soft. RAW PP with RawTherapee:-

Iwas really surprised and pleased with the results.
Dark Frame-with UFraw its easy to do and freeware.

All the best

paul

pollobarca

Great pic Kiri , Love How the children are sharp. Her little bag is very cute.
So many things to see in this picture!:bugeyes:

K

Kiri

Great pic Kiri , Love How the children are sharp. Her little bag is very cute.
So many things to see in this picture!:bugeyes:
Thanks pollo :)
I'm pretty sure it is a "he" actually, but yeah, the little bag is very cute :)
It is a famous Japanese tv character "anpan man" who feeds people by taking bits of bread from its own head and giving it to them.

P

pagapags

hello all
here is an infrared shot whith B+W 092 filter of a caribean tree called "fromager" here in Guadeloupe (Silk cotton tree).

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Gandolfi,
Yes ex Model Railway Club member, when a kid. Mine was a Bec Models
whitemetal Kit .:)
Last evening the Cactus flowered on my balcony- so I used yhe GX100 hand held and with internal flash on soft. RAW PP with RawTherapee:-

Iwas really surprised and pleased with the results.
Dark Frame-with UFraw its easy to do and freeware.

All the best

paul
Paul,
Great cactus pics. You have a hot micro-climate on your balcony!
What a great little camera, isn't it.
Ta for Dark Frame info.
Gandolfi.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,
Another night time pic. shot with the "absolutely awesome" GX100.
This is the constellation Ursa Major over Bath, U.K., taken 1 hour 50 minutes after sunset!
Gandolfi.

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Jeff, many thanks for your comments-I hope you are enjoying getting re-acquainted with your GX100. As many people have said on this thread, it is a great little camera.
Gandolfi.

kevin

This camera is absolutely awesome!! My LX2 is sulking as I write this lines...
Nice shot!

The HDR shot at the airport looks great, too. Very natural, unlike much of the HDR work out there. :)

pollobarca

Yes, I only wanted to see the clouds , as I remembered seeing them, clearly without making the rest of the picture dark. I made 2 tries comparing them to the JPG image. I think the JPG has got the red reflective squares on the tractor right . I'm sure that with more practice I can get the colours looking better in HDR too.

thnks n rgds

paul

W

wbrandsma

This is a great thread, but I don't have a Ricoh GX100 anymore. Last week Ricoh replaced my camera for a Ricoh GX200, after I had another dust particle in the lens (third time).