The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Guess the camera...

bradhusick

Here's an interesting comparison I just did...

First the whole frame, 35mm focal length, f/2.8
Then a 100% crop taken with the Leica M8 with 28mm Summicron (approx 35mm), ISO 160, f/2.8
Finally a 100% crop taken with the "mystery camera", ISO 250, 35mm, f/2.8.

Without looking at the EXIF data, can you guess the type and price of the "mystery camera"? I will post the answer after a few guesses.

The point here is that I am shocked how good this "mystery camera" is.

-Brad

Last edited:

Terry

Actually,
I am pretty shocked at the M8 crop. Are you sure there was no movement there. The writing on the New Cookbook leads me to say this.

Well the mystery camera has more pixels than the M8...and the GRD, DP1 etc are 28mm so that rules them out. I could say a Canon G9 but the lack of detail on the back cover of the wine book looks somewhat Panasonic like.

bradhusick

I may have had a little camera shake on the M8 photo, sorry. Here's a hint on the "mystery" - it is priced at $350 !!!

smokysun

hmm, looks like it has 12 megs. more in camera sharpening than the m8. 250 seems like a rarely available iso setting in a compact. he doesn't say it won't go wider, just that he shot it with that to compare to the m8.

Last edited:

Joan

I'm betting it's the Nikon P5100. Yes? I've almost bought one a dozen times. People say it does very nicely indoors.

bradhusick

Here's an outdoor shot, all straight from the "mystery camera".

Full, then 100% crops. ISO 400.

You're right, it's nearly 14 megapixels.

Last edited:
A

asabet

Sony DSC-W300 was my second guess. Now that you say almost 14MP, it is my guess :).

A

asabet

Thanks Helen :).

Smokysun, the meat of that user review is that the lens is no good on the W300, more specifically that it is sharp only in the center with poor sharpness in the periphery. That's not what I'm seeing in sample photos. For example, this W300 photo I found on Flickr shows pretty impressive detail across the frame. There's some lateral CA, but no more than other compacts like the G9 and D-LUX3.

smokysun

hi amin,
thanks for the link. these pics look good. there are a number of reviews out there. here's the most extensive i've found: http://www.cameras.co.uk/reviews/sony-dsc-w300.cfm
and i found one user who loves it:
http://www.ciao.com/Sony_Cybershot_DSC_W300__Review_10004153
guess i'm resisting the temptation of another camera (and i do love my sony 717's). so far the fuji 30/31's satisfying my compact needs, though i like the d-lux 3 for the wide-angle. 14 megapixals does sound over the top, if they give the resolution.
anybody else have one? comments?
best,
wayne

bradhusick

I am not finding the edges to be disappointing. I think the person who wrote that review may have gotten a bad copy of the camera.

My only disappointment with it is that the small charger that it comes with takes too long to recharge the battery. It's about twice as long as other compact chargers. Don't know why. Other than that, it's the best P/S I have owned, and I have owned a LOT of them.
-Brad