The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus XZ-1 Samples

Millsart

Anyone notice an issue where the LCD takes on a bit of a color shift when viewed from other than a straight on angle ?

If I'm holding mine about chest height and looking down on the LCD I often notice it taking on a bit of a green cast, which is odd, as I've never really seen this on any other LCD before.

Any thoughts ?

The not being able to configure the control ring on the lens is still really bothering me as well. The control dial on the back is so small and finicky its really an annoying way to have to adjust the EC values and still try to keep a good grip on the camera. Perhaps Richards grip could help the handling in that regard

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Yes, the OLED is having some color cast when viewed from other than 90 degree. But it is pretty minimal.

I love this camera! Much better than any of my Dlux-xyz cam's, 2 of them are already gone of this reason.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Found a replacement for those silly German cameras, Jono?

When seeing the results here, I keep asking myself if I really need more than a XZ-1 for travel. Lots of lovely photos here. Is there any noise at low ISO/long exposures? Anybody tried?

Lili

When seeing the results here, I keep asking myself if I really need more than a XZ-1 for travel. Lots of lovely photos here. Is there any noise at low ISO/long exposures? Anybody tried?

ISO 320, f2.5, 1/2 sec, handheld.

Ustein, yes, I never go over ISO 320, actually given the lens speed ISO 200 is pretty much all I need.

DavidL

So the question is do I upgrade the LX3 to a LX5 or XZ-1?
Not to worried about 24v28mm end of the zoom.
Me thinks LX5 has have the edge on video but there again you can't plug a mike into it which I believe you can in the Olympus
Confusion reigns.

les

Jono,

Very crisp results - you seem to have got the hang of the XZ-1..............and the M9 and others as evidenced by your website. All excellent stuff.

jonoslack

:loco: That's the one Jorgen :)

When seeing the results here, I keep asking myself if I really need more than a XZ-1 for travel. Lots of lovely photos here. Is there any noise at low ISO/long exposures? Anybody tried?[/QUOTE]

Well, I'd rather the K5 with the 18-135 personally, but I can see that it's feasible.

Here are some from last night:

here comes the Auricula!

. . . and the first wild raspberry on the fen

Fen and sky

The water's low in the wier

Lili

Jono, Great Stuff there.
I agree with you on the XZ-1 as an only travel camera

This is basically straight out of camera, save RAW to jpeg, cropping and a tiny bit of sharpening.

jonoslack

So the question is do I upgrade the LX3 to a LX5 or XZ-1?
Not to worried about 24v28mm end of the zoom.
Me thinks LX5 has have the edge on video but there again you can't plu
g a mike into it which I believe you can in the Olympus
Confusion reigns.
HI David
I was in just the same position.

I think you have to play - Like you, I wasn't worried about 24v28 (there's better things to use for wide). On the other hand the relatively fast 112vslower 90 was quite attractive. The cameras nice to use. On the other hand the outside controls on the LX5 are pretty cool.

Touch decision - not sure if I made the right one

Rawfa

Lili, there´s really a lot of noise in this picture for iso 320. Did you do anything in post to generate this?

ISO 320, f2.5, 1/2 sec, handheld.

Ustein, yes, I never go over ISO 320, actually given the lens speed ISO 200 is pretty much all I need.

Lili

Lili, there´s really a lot of noise in this picture for iso 320. Did you do anything in post to generate this?

I raised the exposure in post by 2.14 stops, so the shadow noise is exaggerated.

Here is straight image

Last edited:
A

Allan Ostling

If you like Allan, I can send an ORF file or two.
I use my XZ-1 in RAW exclusively.
Thanks Lili, others should know what I told you, that your ORF files produced images which showed excellent detail and tonality, with none of the problems I'd encountered with jpegs earlier.

I'll be placing an order for a new XZ-1 soon.

DavidL

HI David
I was in just the same position.

I think you have to play - Like you, I wasn't worried about 24v28 (there's better things to use for wide). On the other hand the relatively fast 112vslower 90 was quite attractive. The cameras nice to use. On the other hand the outside controls on the LX5 are pretty cool.

Touch decision - not sure if I made the right one
What I don't like about the LX3 is the review screen shows nothing like the actual image when downloaded. Is the Oly better?

"Candy says I hate the big decisions that cause endless revisions in my mind"

David

jonoslack

Well
My Olympus will mainly be used for a horse camera - apart from a rather unfortunate and accidental video, it worked well on it's first outing today.

Here are a few samples - all shot RAW and processed in photoshop

. . . . in case you're wondering, Yes, we DID get wet!