The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus XZ-1 Samples

bradhusick

The LX5 is a fine camera, but the XZ-1 + VF2 is better. I like the function ring, the lens speed, ease of use.

Millsart

Im very disappointed that Olympus hasn't made the front dial user assignable. I typically prefer to keep the camera wide open (not much point stopping down a compact) and shoot in Av mode. What I do adjust is the EC or the zoom position and would love to be able to do either of those with the front dial like the s95.

I really enjoy the fast lens on the camera but its lack of user customization is a bit sad on a $500 camera that seems targeted towards more advanced photographers.

Additionally not being able to adjust the NR levels is also something I find rather lacking given its price, as even my cheapest p&s's allow a high/med/low adjustment. I find the XZ1 is set way too strong for my liking as robs a bit of detail it could otherwise produce.

Not a bad camera at all, however, one that could be really great with a few tweaks that I don't think are coming.

Overall I think I'm happier with the s95 as its just a bit easier to use, dispite the slower lens

Paratom

Hi Uwe,
great images. Dont look like from a small sensor camera.
How do you like the xz1 so far?
And an off topic question: How did you feel about IQ between the m4/3 and the GXR?
Grüße, Tom

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi Uwe,

I prefer the look of the XZ1 images. Wonderful, awesome, great! Especially when considering what a small and compact camera that is!

I still resisted to buy one so far, but might not much longer, as I also have all the other credentials like the VF2 etc.

Keep showing samples!

Peter

Paratom

Color and tonality looks really nice.

One reads different things about sharpness. on dpreview the xz1 images look quite sharp and clear/ some other guyes say IQ is a little soft.

I find the fast aparture of the lens a clear advantage over some other smal cams.

I dont know if I want to put an EVF on such a camera. Makes it kind of big for a pocket camera.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I think the EVF makes this camera the best one out there.

We compared it to the Panasonic EVF on a GF1 and the Olympus EVF wins hands down.

>I just hate shooting at arm's length.

Bad for so many reasons: Not stable, harder framing and in sun useless

The first P&S camera I liked to use was the Ricoh GXR with S10 module. THe AF was not reliable in lower contrast situation and this would be a deal breaker. So far the XZ-1 is the first P&S camera I really enjoy to use.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I dont know if I want to put an EVF on such a camera. Makes it kind of big for a pocket camera.

True, but for me it actually makes it a camera. I really cannot work seriously without an eye level viewfinder.

Last edited:

Rawfa

The more I see stuff shot with this camera the more it looks like THE best serious compact in the market.

Now lets dream for a while....how incredible would it have been if it carried a micro 4/3 sensor? :)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>how incredible would it have been if it carried a micro 4/3 sensor?

Much bigger with the same kind of lens :)

These are my criteria for compact P&S:

- Raw
- Not really regretting that I did not take the bigger gear (means nice image quality)
- Fun to use (this includes a decent EVF for me)

As of now it looks as if the XZ-1 fits the bill.

Last edited:

Lili

ustein, nice shots.
I have been doing RAW exclusively processing OV2 and SilkyPix.

I really think the XZ-1 brings unmatched IQ for its size and fast lens.

A

Allan Ostling

Hi,
this is a shot with f2.0, 1/60 and Iso 1000 @Memphis Beale Street, TN.
Got the blue hour, happy with that cam.
When I look at your photo, I see people with no faces. This is evidence that the smearing of fine detail is still a problem with the XZ-1.

Can somebody point me to some ORF files? I'd like to try them in Lightroom to see if RAW is the answer.

A

Allan Ostling

Maybe you look here (we hardly ever photograph people :) ). Also this is not a camera to be used at higher ISO. But you easily can use wider apertures.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/olympus_xz_1_review.shtml
It was Michael's favorable comments at Luminous Landscape which caused me to revisit this Forum. I had an XZ-1 when they first became available, but returned it to the store after three days of ownership because of the IQ issue.

I greatly admire Olympus cameras. I want to be convinced that I got a bad XZ-1 sample, and if that happens I will readily buy another one.

I didn't have Lightroom when I had the XZ-1, so I didn't shoot much RAW with it during those few days. But I do have Lightroom now, so any RAW files would be easy for me to process.

Lili

When I look at your photo, I see people with no faces. This is evidence that the smearing of fine detail is still a problem with the XZ-1.

Can somebody point me to some ORF files? I'd like to try them in Lightroom to see if RAW is the answer.
If you like Allan, I can send an ORF file or two.
I usemy XZ-1 in RAW exclusively.