The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus XZ-1 Samples

Paratom

Hi Tom
It'll never replace your S2 :ROTFL:
or our M9s:loco:
But it's fun, and produces good results.
The Viewfinder is worth having.
Hi Jono,
I have the viewfinder from a EP2 which I still own.
However we had the discussion before and I dont know if I want to make the camera XZ1 bigger with an external finder.
I have mainly used my x1 as small/portable camera but lately I am not getting along that good anymore with 35mm FOV as single standard focal length.

Thats why XZ1 is one option. The other one would be one of the smaller m4/3 cameras and the Oly 24-42mm lens. Even though this might be allready on the big side for my purpose.
Third option could be the Ricoh GXR. But then its also bigger, specially when you want to carry 2 lens modules. (However I believe I could often carry just 50mm FOV)

My fear is that I have had so many "digicamsn" with small sensor, allways just used them for couple of months.

Do you guys remember the Olympus twin camera?
Thats what I want: a camera with a x1-Leica sensor and lens quality, but with a duo-focal-lengths-lens: 28mm and 50mm FOV. And then an external optical viewfinder with just these 2 frames. Thats it ;)

I might give the XZ1 a try. Colors seem more natural than what I see from Canon small sensors.

Paratom

xz-1 questions

I just got the xz-1 and wondered if you guys can help me with some things:
-which f-stop would you see as sweet spot? and which f-stops are ok?
-same for focal lengths - anything I should be carefull?
I am going vacation soon and running out of time/cant do much testing.
Any special setings I should choose?

Thanks a lot for giving me some starting help. Tom

ustein

Contributing Editor
Re: xz-1 questions

I use it mostly at f/4. Smaller apertures will be diffraction limited I think. But I also don't shy away full open.

jonoslack

Re: xz-1 questions

HI Tom
Congratulations!

I'm with Uwe here: f4 or wider - actually, it's fab using it in aperture priority mode, as you can then just use the front dial for changing the aperture. It's a fine lens, I'm sure you'll have fun with it.

all the best

ustein

Contributing Editor
>it's fab using it in aperture priority mode, as you can then just use the front dial for changing the aperture.

Same here, I use all cameras on aperture priority. Just check the shutter speed so that I don't get motion blur.

THe built-in ND filter is also very helpful.

jonoslack

Sometimes I would like to have your weather (at least at summer).
Well, at least it isn't boring! Right now it's drab, grey and windy. Half an hour ago the sun was shining, and ten minutes before that it was absolutely pouring with rain!

Paratom

thanks Jono and Uwe. Will remember f4.
I use apart. prior. 90% with all my cameras.
I tried it with the vf2 which seems to work very well...only downside is that one needs a pretty big bag. My bag which takes the x1 with gri would not take the xz-1 with vf.
Overall the xz-1 seems to handle really nice for my taste. I like the front wheel control, and I also lile that there are not too many buttons which can be customized.
I just need some simplicity to feel at home.
Hope to post some images soon.
Tom

Terry

I guess I need to add a couple of samples :p

I only had a few minutes to go outside. Shot RAW imported to C1 no adjustments saved as jpeg. The files were lovely.

jonoslack

I guess I need to add a couple of samples :p

I only had a few minutes to go outside. Shot RAW imported to C1 no adjustments saved as jpeg. The files were lovely.
Congratulations Terry - isn't it fun - we're off riding this afternoon, so hopefully I'll get some more shots.

jonoslack

Mostly the weather was drab, and the horseflies was horrid, but that Sam (the horse) certainly does like cheese and onion crisps, and there really is nothing quite as delicious as a pint of Adnams after a couple of hours riding:

Terry

That seems very civilized with real glassware. Did you bring your own or are you outdoors by a country pub?

les

Mostly the weather was drab, and the horseflies was horrid, but that Sam (the horse) certainly does like cheese and onion crisps, and there really is nothing quite as delicious as a pint of Adnams after a couple of hours riding:

A wonderful advert for Country Life, we urbanites are envious.

jonoslack

HI Terry
Country Pub - in Mellis, so yes, real glassware. We were going out again today, but thunder is forecast, so it's mowing the lawn instead.
Les - sorry to upset you urbanites, the only consolation I can give you is that it's a 40 minute drive to the nearest decent restaurant!

all the best