The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus XZ-1 Samples

hot

Nothing world-moving ... you can make such pictures with 100 other cameras too.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Nothing world-moving ... you can make such pictures with 100 other cameras too.
Well, I do not think that there are many cameras as small and compact which can do similar pictures. That's the whole concept of the XZ-1 ;)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Sharpness at f/1.8 is rather impressive if you ask me. Looks promising, and convenient to have a p&s that can share external flash with m43 and/or Olympus DSLRs. Absolutely a serious alternative to G12/S95/LX5.

sinwen

It seems that only the S95 is small enough to get into any pocket.
Now the XZ1 might have a better IQ overall, wait & see more pictures.

Helena

Hmmm... I wonder if those are all right? The ISO 100 samples I saw almost looked like they had gone through heavy noise reduction. My S95 low ISO shots are much clearer and sharper than that. Maybe the final version of the camera will be better. Hope so, because I have heard so much about the Olympus JPGs and would like to try one of their cameras.

Rawfa

It's weird not to see anyone here with this camera. From what I've all over the web the consensus is that this camera is THE compact camera to have (beating the LX5, S95, G12, LT500).

bradhusick

I have owned the LX5, S90, G11, X1, Nex3 and several others, and the XZ-1 with the VF2 EVF is the best of them all for me. Great image quality, f/1.8 speed, outstanding viewfinder, lens ring, compact size, zoom lens, fantastic build quality. It's a keeper.

This is a tough shot for any camera and the XZ-1 did a great job. Handheld, 1/20 sec., f/3.2, ISO200. This is 100%...

Rawfa

The shot does look good. Do you have any iso 1600 samples? It would also be cool to see some high contrast shots to check how it does when it comes to dynamic range.

bradhusick

Here's an ISO 1600 shot in the worst possible lighting conditions. 100% size.

And here's a hi contrast shot, not good photographically, but lots of dynamic range.

mazor

not bad this xz1, wondering though if the skin tones in the iso 1600 shot looks a little plastic looking due to excessive in camera noise reduction?

bradhusick

I used Lightroom's noise reduction in those skin tones. I was looking for less noise and willing to give a little in skin texture. Don't get me wrong, this is no Nikon D3 or Canon 1Dm4 when it comes to high ISO noise, but it's darn good for a pocket zoom point and shoot, which is why I bought it. The fantastic EVF makes all the difference for me. I don't like shooting at arm's length. If and when Panasonic replaces the mediocre VF-1 with the EVF from the GH-2 then we're talking...

B

Bamamike

Hi,
this is a shot with f2.0, 1/60 and Iso 1000 @Memphis Beale Street, TN.
Got the blue hour, happy with that cam.

Lili

Lili, you won't regret it. It has replaced my LX5. Get the EVF right away. It's what seals the deal.
Brad thanks! Had VF-2 already, use it with long lenses on my E-PL1 ;)

I iz Oly Addict!!!!!!!

Seriously the compatibility with the VF-2 and the very fast lenses sealed the deal. Once I held it in my hand (big advantage of brick-and-mortar-stores) I was lost....

Lili

Full Frame

Shot hand-held at 112mm-e, F2.5, 1/13 sec, using the VF-2 helped stabilize this low light image at ISO 400

P

palsphot

It seems that only the S95 is small enough to get into any pocket.
Now the XZ1 might have a better IQ overall, wait & see more pictures.
almost looked like they had gone through heavy noise reduction

ustein

Contributing Editor
>and the XZ-1 with the VF2 EVF is the best of them all for me.

What did you not like so much of the LX5 (besides the EVF, the Olympus is better, yes)?