The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GRDIII folks -- need input

JCT

Guys,

Still hunting down my personal holy grail of a pocketable digital camera.

Swapped my G1 for a GF1 and that was a good move with regards to size, I often use it with the 20mm and have been very happy with the results. But it is not a very small camera and do have to leave it behind sometimes.

I had an LX3 in the past and for whatever reason just couldn't make peace with the camera. So it's gone.

What I want is something that I can carry anywhere, has a fast lens and could be configured to use virtually as a P&S if I want to avoid fiddling. I have no problem is shooting RAW + jpg, but it would be nice to lose the conversion step if the jpegs are suitable. I enjoy shooting B&W with my GF1 (actually my husband asked me if my GF1 "could" shoot color -hah).

So I've fallen into the Ricoh GRDIII vs Canon S95 pit of despond. I'm a little worried that the s95 will remind me of the LX3, but I'm concerned regarding the GRDIII jpegs.

Input appreciated -- folks who have both cams seem to like them.

Actually have a job interview out west next week where I will be touring real estate at one point, would be the perfect time to have a small cam, don't carry a large purse when I'm wearing a suit....

Thanks,

JT

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
JT,
I'm with you.
I also have the LX5 which is a great camera.
I still lust for the GRD111. The simiplcity of design is unmatched.
The files are beautiful. My buddy let's me use his sometimes and only if he's around.
Go for it.....don

W

wbrandsma

I can't comment on the S95, but I love the GRD3. Amazing camera. It is actually a very customizable camera, but once you have set it up to your likings it becomes a simple camera and you can focus on your photography. You can find more information here and here.

andrewteee

I've had a GRD3 for a while now and just acquired an LX5 as my P&S zoom compact. I don't have much experience yet with the LX5 and can't comment on how it compares, but it seems to be doing perfectly fine for its purpose. The GRD3 is a great camera. Probably my all-time fave camera (I had the GRD2 prior). Compact, customizable, durable, great lens, beautiful rendering...

I remember when I bought my GRD2 and how concerned I was about the price. But really the GRDs have been my best camera value given the pictures and pleasure I get out of using them.

It is still a small sensor, but perhaps the best of its breed.

4season

Getting ahold of an S95 by next week could be a problem as it's been in very short supply since the holiday season. I just got one off Amazon backorder a few days ago, and it's great: Much smaller than my old Ricoh GX100! I'm not really a JPEG or full-auto shooter, but for grins I switched it to "Auto" and discovered that it really does do just about everything, including raise and lower the flash.

I really liked my Ricoh while I had it. Never tried using it as a simple point 'n shoot: To me, it's a rather tweaky camera ideally suited for someone who likes to constantly adjust exposure and who shoots raw. Controls are well suited for that, and in return, it delivers sharp, wonderfully gritty-looking photos, and it's tops for macro, focusing down to about 1 cm. However, it's fate was pretty much sealed once I discovered I could fit a Sony NEX 5 in my jacket pocket.

JCT

Thanks guys -- this is what I enjoy about this forum, great, thoughtful advice from a been there, done that perspective. My angle on this was pretty obtuse in a way, nice to not be treated like I'm coming from left field.

You guys have reinforced my impression of the GRDIII as a great photographer's "right hand" camera.

Sure was great to have you weigh in , Wouter -- your site was very helpful in sorting this out and I love your work with the Ricohs. And yes, I would definitely strive to get it "dialed in" and then just use it. I love the ergonomics.

I can see that I am not the only one who rode the LX3/5 vs GRDIII decision!

That's a good point 4season, I actually stumbled on a cache of the s95 at my local Best Buy the other day -- that's what made me reconsider. And I'm looking forward to the next rev of the NEX myself..

OK, now to hunt one down.

I'll post back with impressions.

Thanks!

JCT

Well, I grabbed one from Adorama for $525 -- spent a cross-country plane ride playing with it, have to say that I love both the ergonomics and the controls, easily one of the most intuitive compacts I have ever used. Will take a while to get a handle on all of the customization that is possible, but I get the feeling that I will be able to set it up exactly the way I want to -- nice to not have to "conform".

As soon as my schedule lightens up can't wait to take it for a spin.

JT

scott kirkpatrick

I've had a GR-D (which got stuck once, and died much later after being repaired) and GR-Dii which has been totally dependable. I just sent off to Photo Village for a GR-Diii while they last. I don't expect to see them much longer. My usual source, PopFlash, doesn't seem to have them in stock any more. It's important to get the GV-2 low profile viewfinder and the GC-2 case big enough to hold the camera with its viewfinder on. I don't see much value in the GC-4 case that leaves a leather base on the camera when it is in use. And the small sensor, deep DOF, slightly grainy look to the GR-D's images appeals to me sometimes.

scott