The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Basic camera for Street Photography?

S

Satavayung

I'm looking for a camera best for Street photography. Something compact enough to be discreet without compromising on the quality of the photos.
A good sensor size and small enough. Most importantly, not fully automatic, but allows lot of manual control over the settings.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
A Panasonic G2 or GH2 comes to mind.
Good quality from a compact versatile and reasonably priced package.
-bob

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I like the way the GF1 handles and once set up... on the street there's no intrusion from the camera. Any mistakes you make are on you....
With the 14mm & 20mm, it's a great kit...
shooter

usathyan

There are a lot of cameras that fit the bill...Vivian Mayer used Rolliflex (one of the most recent treasure finds) - a really really great street photographer, did not use any of the criteria you have :). She shot with a rolliflex - a heavy, glaring unmistakable camera, no sensor & fully manual!

For all other things - any of the modern advanced P&S fits your description...Canon S95, G11, Nikon P7000, Any m4/3, NEX or Sigma's p&s...

Godfrey

I'm looking for a camera best for Street photography. Something compact enough to be discreet without compromising on the quality of the photos.
A good sensor size and small enough. Most importantly, not fully automatic, but allows lot of manual control over the settings.
I've used everything I've owned from Mamiya C330 to Minox for this kind of stuff. Nowadays I'm using Olympus E-1 and E-5 most of the time. I'm not sure what makes a camera "best" for street photography other than that it works well for your hands and the subject matter.

However I'd like something a bit more compact, not so much for 'discreetness' but to be more convenient for me to carry, and don't want to sacrifice any image quality, sensitivity or responsiveness.

A Panasonic G1 works well, the GF1/GF2 or Olympus Pen E-PL1/PL2 models are more compact. Any would have the ability to use a range of lenses for different purposes, or full manual control, etc. (For me, one option I'm thinking about is an E-PL2 and VF-2 with Nokton 25mm f/0.95 ... essentially, a manual focus, manual aperture setup with A priority AE and a very fast normal lens.)

The upcoming Fuji X100 is another hot possibility .. its fast, fixed wide-normal lens and the classic control layout they've designed will make it a premium camera for this kind of use, presuming its image quality and responsiveness is up to the task. (I have no reason to think it won't be.)

peterb

While I'm a HUGE fan of Panasonic's G-, GH- series for street work (particularly with the 20mm f1.7 and I TOTALLY agree with Kit that the amazingly useful swing-out LCD on Panasonic's G-, GH- series makes it a dream for off angles and waist level views) I'll add the new Olympus XZ-1.

It's apparently is just slightly larger than a Panasonic GF- but the lens is SPECTACULAR. An f1.8-2.5 full, blown Zuiko that gives you the equivalent of 28-115mm coverage (in 35mm speak).

Here's the review just out on dpreview.com

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/OlympusXZ1/

mazor

I say go sony nex, as it is by far the most discrete in terms of size and image quality is on par with other aps-c dslrs.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
While I'm a HUGE fan of Panasonic's G-, GH- series for street work (particularly with the 20mm f1.7 and I TOTALLY agree with Kit that the amazingly useful swing-out LCD on Panasonic's G-, GH- series makes it a dream for off angles and waist level views) I'll add the new Olympus XZ-1.

It's apparently is just slightly larger than a Panasonic GF- but the lens is SPECTACULAR. An f1.8-2.5 full, blown Zuiko that gives you the equivalent of 28-115mm coverage (in 35mm speak).

Here's the review just out on dpreview.com

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/OlympusXZ1/
Agree 100%. Panasonic G/GH, any model, are ideal. I use the GH1 for street, and it's fabulous. If you want small, the XZ-1 seems to be an excellent performer.

For very low light and small size, the E-PL2 might be a good alternative, combining a larger sensor sensor than the XZ-1 with IBIS and the option of very fast lenses, like the Voigtländer 25/0.95.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
But no finder... and no flip out screen, so (for me) really not that grear for street candids.

Love the lens, and the range, too, however.