The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Are small sensor cameras useless for stock sales?

P

Player

PMFJI Lili, but commercial photography is exactly opposite, as I'm sure you know.

Just to add, since I express myself better musically, and I feel that music is a much more expressive artform than photography, I might as well try to make some money with my photography. My creative/ expressive needs are satisfied.

Lili

PMFJI Lili, but commercial photography is exactly opposite, as I'm sure you know.

Just to add, since I express myself better musically, and I feel that music is a much more expressive artform than photography, I might as well try to make some money with my photography. My creative/ expressive needs are satisfied.
LOL, oh yes. Sad but true.
Thats where all the cliche's of starving artists come from :(
Still you gotta do what you gotta do to stay housed, fed and living

P

Player

LOL, oh yes. Sad but true.
Thats where all the cliche's of starving artists come from :(
Still you gotta do what you gotta do to stay housed, fed and living
Generally speaking Lili, yes. In my case, and this is going to sound arrogant even though it's just the truth, it's more an embarrassment of riches. I was a creative type of photographer before I ever took up music, but I was always disillusioned with the one-dimensional aspect of photography. Even though I felt I was expressing myself with pictures, most people would just look at a picture for a couple seconds and put it aside. Even though photography has been accepted an an artform, it's incredibly rare that anyone is moved or touched by a picture in a powerful way. In fact, the pictures that have stopped me in my tracks are war photographs and disaster pictures. Edwin Weston's Pepper just doesn't do it. Plus the message, since photography is based in reality, is not always clear. When was the last time you were brought to tears by a photograph? How about a song?

Bottom line is that I enjoy taking pictures, but I'd rather express myself through music. You can reach a wider audience with a greater impact. I don't exactly see people lining-up at the galleries and museums to view a photographic exhibition, mostly just other photographers. Photography always left me creatively unfulfilled and frustrated, but to be able to continue taking pictures and earn some money seems totally win-win, but only because music is so gratifiying and appreciated as an artform. An embarrassment of riches, the best of both worlds.

Sorry, I never intended to travel this road, but you got me started. See Lili, it's your fault. ;)

smokysun

this question of making money with photography is interesting. i've known university and school photographers who have to turn it out. it's a job. they look run ragged! wedding photographers the same.

i went to a richard misrach show at a gallery in san francisco. older b&w prints maybe 2 feet by 2 feet of desert cactus at night, shot with either car headlights or a flash. these were printed by misrach with a technique he could no longer use cause the paper discontinued. they sold for $20,000 each. i asked the gallery person if they were selling and she said yes.

there's no substitute for establishing yourself as a name!

as for stock, take a look at www.jimzuckerman.com (his book on making money in photography worth browsing thru. lots of good ideas. but it's his sole work.) i admire stock photography but the pictures need to be without the imprint of the photographer's personality so meaning can be added by others in many different ways. rather like song lyrics. they can't be complete as poetry or there's no room for the music.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:
P

Player

Wayne, speaking for me only, my photography would be more gratifying if I earned some money doing it. I've done the creative/ art photography thing long enough to know that it leaves me wanting. For the first time in years, I'm motivated about photography again. And it's not that I have to earn money with photography, but if that's what it takes to keep me motivated and active instead of giving it up, then I think that's a great thing, and the avenue I should pursue. And it's not to say that you can't earn money from art photography, but I need to keep my artistic/ expressive pursuits innocent of money to feel good about what I'm doing. To me, money corrupts absolutely.

BTW, thanks for the link!

Lili

Player,
Music is indeed a powerful medium
I listen and Dance to it, it moves through me when i do
Cannot sing, sadly

My photography too is important to me at least
to quote Roy Batty from Blade Runner
"If only you could see what I've seen with Your Eyes"
Much of my work will not go on the web
as it is too personal

sorry to sound so pretentious, just the long week and some Jack talking
;)

Last edited:

smokysun

i don't object to commercial photography at all. it's interesting that the fashion work of david bailey and guy bourdin much better (in my opinion) than the work they call 'personal.' various jobs can call up all kinds of creativity. i look at a lot of fashion work, especially from the 80's and 90's. another book to browse:

http://www.amazon.com/Moment-Clicks...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214618793&sr=8-1

i've gone thru it several times. (i spend a lot of time in the barnes and noble coffee shop, browsing thru all kinds of photo books, magazines, etc.) lots of good tips. great professional photographer.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

helenhill

SMOKYSUN- One should also mention
My two FAVORITE Fashion photographers aside from David Bailey
are
PETER LINDBERGH and
NORMAN PARKINSON
who I met on two different occasions just by chance
the Beauty of Life in Gotham City......:ROTFL:

Best-H

P

Player

Player,
Music is indeed a powerful medium
I listen and Dance to it, it moves through me when i do
Cannot sing, sadly

My photography too is important to me at least
to quote Roy Batty from Blade Runner
"If only you could see what I've seen with Your Eyes"
Much of my work will not go on the web
as it is too personal

sorry to sound so pretentious, just the long week and some Jack talking
;)
Nothing "pretentious" about that Lili.

I hope I was clear enough that I was just speaking for myself.

One thing you said reminded me of a guitar teacher I had. He said that he wrote songs just for himself, and he didn't care if no one heard them. I disagree with that so strongly: to me, music, and photography, is about communication, and if no one hears or sees an artist's work, what's the point really. Then I was a wiseguy and blurted-out, "What, you're just going to communicate with yourself? I'm not schizophrenic, I am."

pjphoto59

I've been doing some research about stock photography, and it seems that the image requirements preclude the use of small sensor cameras like the GRD, Canon G9, and so forth.

Are these cameras just suitable for artsy photos and memory snaps, or are there potential pro applications, besides niche book publishing?

Thanks.
I submit a lot of pictures to Alamy and to two other stock agencies.

Alamy requirements are 48MB (open) images, (say 4800 x 3600 px) they must be sharp, (but unsharpened) free of chroma noise and interpolation artefacts.

I use Olympus 8MP and 10MP dslr's and also a GX100. I have had a lot of GX100 pictures accepted by Alamy.

I know that many people have had Canon G9 pix accepted also.

Peter