The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New LX5 in da hood.... whoo hoo!

DHart

I just got the LX5 yesterday and decided to capitalize on its small sensor's wonderfully deep DOF that, in cases like this, comes in very handy indeed.

There are many times when I'm doing product shots for eBay etc. that need deep DOF and I have a heck of a time getting that with my 5DMkII, even with my m4/3 cameras... I have to stop down so far that diffraction cuts into my sharpness. That's part of the reason why I keep a camera like the LX5 around. For the easy to get deep DOF.

I also bought it to replace my Lumix ZS3, recently sold on eBay, as a "grab n run" handy kinda camera.

GF-1 and Carl Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f/1.4 lens.

Image created with Panasonic Lumix LX5 w/ Leica Vario-Summicron Aspherical 5.1-19.2mm f/2.0-3.3 lens, captured in RAW, PP in LR3 and CS5.

Last edited:

mazor

lovely product shot! Has the leica pop out effect. loving it. I have the older lx3, and its a very compact digicam, with descent sensor and full manual controls.

DHart

Thanks for the comment mazor! I was beginning to wonder if anyone had noticed. ;-) Perhaps most folks are just more interested in scenics and such than product-type photography. Working at home and in the midst of bad weather, I haven't gotten out much lately!

Decided to turn the tables. This time GH2 and Canon FDn 50/1.4 set at f8 creating the image. The compression makes for less drama than the image I posted above, but I like it. LX5 with Lumix wide angle conversion lens, yields 18mm equiv. field of view. Wonderful little camera.

As for the LX5... when you want a "grab n run" camera, something smaller, lighter, and more versatile (24-90mm equiv. lens f/2.0-3.3), in a smaller form factor than m4/3, I think the LX5 is a great choice. The wide angle lens does negate this advantage, but is fun to have... yields 18mm equivalent field of view.

mazor

impressive to get 18mm equivalent on such a compact body. Would be nice to see some posts using this adapter. Do you have to tell the camera in setup menus that you have the adapter lens?

Also, is there much barrel or corner softness wide open?

DHart

Hi mazor... well, the wide angle lens and adapter do take the complete package out of the "compact" status, but the utility of having 18mm to 90mm equivalent, at f/2.0 to 3.3, with this camera is pretty cool. I love this camera. It would never replace my m4/3 gear, but is a wonderful supplementary image making tool.

I just put the adapter collar on the camera and the lens on that and away you go. You can even zoom the camera's lens with the wide angle adapter on it. Even without using the wide angle lens, the adapter collar can also be used to attach filters for ND, polarizing, etc. and provides a great hand hold for the camera while also protecting the moving/zoom lens from impact damage. I think it's a really cool and versatile package, overall.

I haven't done any rigorous testing of the IQ with the WA lens on the camera, but I've been very happy overall with the results and the wide angle of view is wonderful to have.

I'll post some more images from it when I get a chance.

Here's a link to some fantastic images done with this camera and wide angle lens. Seeing these images is what prompted me to buy the WA lens for the LX5.

http://forums.dpreview.com/galleries/3299467295/albums/lx5-wide-angle-lens-samples/slideshow

les

These are great results you're getting from the LX5. I have it's grandmother (sort of - a D-Lux3) and it's good, until you're out on a sunny day. I get miffed seeing a reflection of my nose instead of the subject.
Always thought that by integrating a viewfinder of some sort, these Pan/Leica models would become the perfect pocketable camera. As a user of both the LX5 and the GF1 do you miss a VF?
Following the (imminent) arrival of the X-100 maybe P&L will find a way to also incorporate a VF in version 6.

DHart

les... even with the LX5 and the GF1, an ELV is available. I have an ELV which I use with the GF1 and the LX5, when I feel the need to. And I'm very happy to have it. Not the greatest resolution, but it's moderately priced, it's very compact, and it does what I need it to do! Plus, I can use it on either the GF1 or the LX5.

Just for fun... this camera is fantastic at close-ups.