The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

shots of a smoky sun

Irenaeus

Thanks for sharing, smokeysun —

We can empathize with you in your difficult state — Montana's not burning at this point but we were evacuated each of the last two years and another time six years ago. If my pics were nearly as dramatic as yours, I might search them out and put them up here, too (but they're not!)

I noticed your icon of Seraphim of Sarov, which pleased me. He's one of my favorites!

Hope you and the giant redwoods come through unscathed.

Kyrie elieson!

Thomas

smokysun

thanks for the kind thoughts. (good heavens, there goes a machine-gun of fireworks, probably illegal, outside.) i came down last evening over the last of three highways open, a very windy backroad, for four days off. chico free of smoke! can't believe it. two days ago friends said it was the worst it's every been. breezy. going to see the big fireworks after the local semi-pro game by the outlaws. makes me nervous to be away from the fires in my territory.
thanks again.
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. lived in montana as a kid. six years in hamilton and whitefish. fond (and intense) memories.

Last edited:

smokysun

i'm afraid the situation not much better when i arrived back at work from days off. the wind switched to the east during the night and one of the fires above chico blew up. this morning it had built its own thunderhead. areas around concow and yankee hill immediately evacuated.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

smokysun

thanks, helen. things may be improving. i still can't see more than a mile. we did escape the predicted (again) lightning today, so everyone is breathing a bit easier, though, i must confess, three weeks of smoke makes my eyes itch. as for taking pictures, it's just tremendous fun, especially trying to mine the place i happen to be and not traveling to exotic places to get the goods.

best,
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

smokysun

better visibility for most of the day. now a lot of smoke to the west of me. it's rather strange not to know what's going on. even our million acre forest is just part of a much bigger picture.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

ecliffordsmith

Wayne,

Nothing really of use to add but this photo journey of yours in this thread is producing some very classy stuff. The B&W conversion of the valley has beautiful tones.

smokysun

hi ed,
thanks again for looking. going out in the eve and taking pictures to keep myself from going bonkers. last couple mornings i could see something (and breath easier) but each afternoon it closes back in. here's a general info site that might interest you. current statistics on all the fires.

http://www.nifc.gov/nicc/sitreprt.pdf

what's on everybody's mind is: is this the result of global warming and can we expect it to be this way from now on. california climate goes through some wild swings, so there's no telling.
several from last evening.
best,
wayne

Last edited: