The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

shots of a smoky sun

smokysun

you've probably heard about the california fires. i'm totally smoked in. the first shot taken with the fuji 30 when coming back to work the evening before last. the other with the s6000 this eve. hate breathing the stuff!

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

hilld

Wow! Incredible shots. Hope life gets more comfortable for you soon, even if it does mean your losing a (obviously) great subject.

smokysun

thanks. unfortunately it's gotten worse! during the night, someone discovered a hundred acre fire just four miles from me. a place on a normal day i would have seen right away. (present visibility half a mile.) now four more days of lightning (maybe dry) forecast for the next four days. the most fire-ridden june i've seen in 45 years as a lookout.
best,
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

Terry

Wow, where are you in Calif? I heard there is a fire near Big Sur and I was thinking of the wonderful shots we all got in that area this spring.

Be safe!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It is smoky in the Bay Area now too -- I heard yesterday there are over 800 active burning fires right now over the entire state...

smokysun

hi,
i'm above quincy in plumas national forest. it's right in the middle of the sierras north of lake tahoe and highway 80. google map 'mt. hough lookout' and it will come up for you. (or maybe just mt. hough). jack's right, they keep finding new fires under the smoke with more lightning predicted the next four days. if it's dry, no rain, we're dead in the dust.
here's the view on more normal days, taken with a canon 3 meg elph:

www.pbase.com/wwp/summer_2003

and here are some taken with canon d20 of our 65,000 acre fire last summer:

www.pbase.com/wwp/moon

we thought it couldn't get any worse. hah!

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Lili

Wayne I like all off these, particularly the glass globe and sunset, the lens and self portrait(?).
There are always at least two people in any photo; the photographer and the viewer.
At least in mind/eye/spirit, but to include more is wonderfull
:)

Joan

Wow Wayne, these are incredible shots. Just so sorry they're coming out of an unfortunate situation for humans and wildlife. Stay safe out there.

smokysun

thanks, ed. good to hear from you. don't know if you've looked at this thread but a lot of interesting things came up in it:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2436

the wind is up and smoke everywhere. going down for four days off and i hear it's even worse in the sacramento valley. it has been said california is meant to burn, the oils in the brush building up to a flash point. where it works well it releases a lot of new growth. unfortunately, people building in these areas, plus now the fires burn so hot they get into the trees. i expect it's going to be quite summer.
best,
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. a friend sent photos from a town in the hills near where i live in the off-season. this is what it looks like on the ground:
http://www.pbase.com/alansheckter/fire_near_magalia&page=all

Last edited: