The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thin protective case for a GRD2 ?

S

SimonL

Can anyone recommend a thin protective case for a GRD2 ?

I know about the 2 leather cases sold by Ricoh but they look fairly thick and bulky in the pictures and I'm likely to keep everything in an inside pocket.

I was wondering about a thin neoprene pouch rather than a case but am having trouble getting the right size & shape because of the long oblong shape of the GRD2 compared to the more square shapes of the bulk of compact cameras sold.

Suggestions anyone ?

scott kirkpatrick

Can anyone recommend a thin protective case for a GRD2 ?

I know about the 2 leather cases sold by Ricoh but they look fairly thick and bulky in the pictures and I'm likely to keep everything in an inside pocket.
The leather cases are smaller than the sort of P&S pouches that I have seen. For shirt pocket carrying of my GRD-2 I don't use any case. For a coat pocket, I find the larger case with the GV-2 finder installed works well.

scott

clay stewart

I use a sleeve for eye glasses. Finding a large enough one is tough though. They used to make padded ones for the big sunglasses of the seventies, that clipped on your car's sun visor, but I can't seem to find one. The one I have isn't padded and it had a sort of snap closure at one end. I just cut that off and it works good at keeping dust and scratches at bay. I don't think it would protect it much if I dropped it though.

O

Oxide Blu

For awhile I used an old gym sock as a camera case for my GRD2. I got tired of everyone laughing at me so I updated to a cheap ($1.50) replacable, self-adhesive cellphone LCD protector and now just drop the GRD2 into my purse and go. Most of the time I leave the optional telephoto lens converter thingy on it (easier to take off in a hurry than to put on) so a small case doesn't make sense for me.

You can buy a small piece of neoprene (nylon on both sides) from diving stores and prob on the internet pretty cheap, and glue or sew your own little, custom GRD2 case. There is about a billion colors of nylon-clad neoprene out there, make it pretty. :)

S

SimonL

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Just to add FTR, this is probably the one camera I actually carry "in my pocket" when I carry it; one of things that makes it so appealing for me is it's always handy and ready to use.

FWIW,

S

SimonL

Just to add FTR, this is probably the one camera I actually carry "in my pocket" when I carry it; one of things that makes it so appealing for me is it's always handy and ready to use. FWIW,
You're right of course Jack and that's how I operate too but I find that most damage occurs when my cameras are either 'along for the ride' to somewhere to be used or around the house.

The Crumpler PP55 looks about right too:

http://www.crumplereurope.com/?product=The_P.P._55&page=details&product_id=TPP55-004&size=big

S

SimonL

Settled on the Crumpler PP90. Holds & protects the GRD2 nicely.

I thought it was a little loose in height [it's perfect in the other 2 dimensions] but then realised that the spare room allows you to put the GV2 on the camera.

It's a third of the price of the leather Ricoh cases.