Site Sponsors

Capture Integration Digital Transitions Camera West empty Guy Mancuso Photography

Thread: Anyone ever gutted a P&S to mod it?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone ever gutted a P&S to mod it?

Has anyone ever chopped the cheap zoom off a P&S and installed a manual lens? Successfully? If so, which camera?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone ever gutted a P&S to mod it?

There are Japanese, (of course!) practitioners of this art. He had inserted an 8mm lens into a very non-descript digicam, presumably to attain practice before doing it to his Leica P&S....

The best camera for this is the cheapest one bought off the auction site with a dodgy lens only. Then carefully rip it off. No need to thank me ..... You might want to buy two or three unless super confident! I would recommend a screw mount, for focus correction, given the tiny distances involved? So those cheap c mounts that are not much use on a m4/3?

Hope I have goaded you enough to try it? ;-)

I tried and do not recommend it. I think I'm pretty handy but it was more difficult than I thought would be.

Northern Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

You could trim a Ricoh lens tube to add a Nikon wce68 to the GX100.
    I took 3mm off the tube. Works some. But others file off a bit of the
    nikon converter to totally remove vignetting. You end up with a 16mm wide angle equivalent on the GX100.
    Anyone ever tried to make a sensor angle so that you end up with a shift lens?

B rgds

"I ruined my health by drinking to everyone else's." Brendan Behan

I'd love to see some attempts at this. The problems are numerous, but include the tiny sensor in cheap-enough-to-chop-up compacts producing a prohibitive focal length multiplier, tiny tolerances at this scale, and the lack of focus aid on cameras designed to be used solely in auto focus.

I did attempt to build a "50 full frame digicam" once. It consisted of an old Powershot, a Yashica FX3, and a finely cut ground glass screen. Needless to say, it has hardly compact, and was very hit and miss!