The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dust under the lens on GRDII

sizifo

Noticed a particle of dust UNDER the top lens component of my GRD II.

Has this happened to anyone??

I mean, it's impossible to see anything on the photos. But, should I have it exchanged while it's under warranty?

Any advice is welcome!

Tim

sizifo,

Sorry to hear about the problem..

I'm curious , how old is the camera? Do you normally carry your GRD in a case? as I would expect using a case to reduce the likely chance of dust specs perhaps.

I will check mine when I get home and report back later.

Tim

O

Oxide Blu

I have a GRDII, no dust under the lens...so far.

I suspect your camera may have arrive from the factory with the dust in place. You may want to keep in the back of your mind that some day you may want to have it removed. Here's why:

I bought the optional 40mm lens for my GRDII. Great lens, except that I immediately noticed a couple black specks, like tiny paint flakes, inside of the lens. And like you mentioned, even thought it was on the inside of the lens and was visible to the eye, it had no impact on images...until I pushed the [macro] button. In macro mode, the contamination appeared as darken areas on light colored images. It was not visible if taking macro pix of dark objects.

You may want to try this; put your camera in macro mode, put the lens within a couple inches of a white sheet of paper, and watch the LCD when you focus. Doing that I could see the contamination very clearly on the LCD as the camera moved through the focus range. And where does the camera get the data to display on the LCD?

So, the bottom line is that Ricoh may have a contamination problem somewhere in their manfr facility. That is why I think it is possible that your camera left the factory with the contamination inside the lens. Btw, the store took back the 40mm lens with the contamination inside, and ordered me a new one, no questions asked.

Godd luck with your GRD. :)

sizifo

sizifo,

Sorry to hear about the problem..

I'm curious , how old is the camera? Do you normally carry your GRD in a case? as I would expect using a case to reduce the likely chance of dust specs perhaps.

I will check mine when I get home and report back later.

Tim
Well I keep it in the Ricoh case with the small viewfinder on. But otherwise, I don't treat it all that carefully - it's left to bounce around in my bag, and I take it almost everywhere.

"You may want to try this; put your camera in macro mode, put the lens within a couple inches of a white sheet of paper, and watch the LCD when you focus. Doing that I could see the contamination very clearly on the LCD as the camera moved through the focus range. And where does the camera get the data to display on the LCD?"

Good idea. I will do this.

"So, the bottom line is that Ricoh may have a contamination problem somewhere in their manfr facility. That is why I think it is possible that your camera left the factory with the contamination inside the lens. Btw, the store took back the 40mm lens with the contamination inside, and ordered me a new one, no questions asked."

Actually, I think I'll send it to get repaired even if it doesn't influence the photos. A) I'm in germany and from what I understood the Ricoh repair in europe is in germany (is that right??). B) I bought it from a fancy customer friendly Leica shop, so it should be easy to do it through them (interestingly, the GRD and GX100 are the only cameras that this shop sells, other than the leicas).