The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Public art and sculptures

H

Hypnohare

I guess the following photos might (?) fit with this thread.

While visiting a Museum a few months back, I couldn't help but be fascinated with the way people interact with famous works of art. So instead of taking a photo of the art work themselves, I snapped shots of strangers who happened to be near the painting and sculptures.

All the photos were taken with a handheld Ricoh GR II

Levent

Levent

scott kirkpatrick

Nice. I suggest also taking a look at Elliot Erwitt's book, "Museum Watching." It's the gold standard for this setting, with a particular emphasis on catching museum guards in the process of becoming sculpture themselves.

scott

sizifo

Nice series Hypnohare.

Here are some photos from a few years ago.

The park sculpture is using a minolta A1. A lot of bokeh for a small sensor. The thinker was using a small sensor nikon.

Last edited:
H

Hypnohare

Nice. I suggest also taking a look at Elliot Erwitt's book, "Museum Watching." It's the gold standard for this setting, with a particular emphasis on catching museum guards in the process of becoming sculpture themselves.

scott
Hi Scott:

I'll get the Erwitt book the next time I order books at Amazon. I've seen his book on Dogs and I liked it a lot!

Levent

flickr.com/photos/16699882@N07/

H

Hypnohare

I loved the Mona Lisa photo, because (to me) it's more about the crowd than the painting!

My wife and I were at the Louvre in 2000 and I don't remember such big crowd around the Mona Lisa. Perhaps we were there late in the day, maybe near closing time?

It's funny that people feel compelled to take snapshots of famous paintings. Quite frankly you can see a much better photo of most paintings in an art book (because the photographer had the art work specially lit for the photo session). Perhaps the people do this as a way of acquiring a trophy? A way to prove that they were there in the same room as the work of art?

In any case Charles' terrific photo shows that even a 500 year old woman like the Mona Lisa can have her own paparazzi!

Levent

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16699882@N07/

pollobarca

All- it should be Monna Lisa. Mona is along the same lines but a bit more
intimate...

Mona is what the Bronze King seems to be looking at. I think a fair way to define the word.

BTW lovely pictures in the Tate and of the Giocconda (Mona Lisa).
The Thinker too is alive , the composition with the guy and lady works well.
500 yr old lady or is it Leonardo in his ladies clothes?

Last edited:
N

ntrolls

The Hammering Man in Downtown, Seattle. It was nice to see this kinetic sculpture here again - there is another one of these in the Museum of Modern Art back in Seoul, which I once also photographed.

N

ntrolls

Don't know the story behind it, but this one is called the Sun God. I would say it's too cute for its name :p It's in UCSD campus.

S

SimonL

I shot this picture of Lee Lawrie's "Atlas" in February from a busy sidewalk at New York's Rockefeller Center with a GR II Digital
Every time I look at this I wish the sculptor had been a little better educated.

In mythology, Atlas held up the sky/heavens while stood on the earth.

This thread keeps reminding me I must pay a visit sometime to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park ......