The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Public art and sculptures

Will

Thought it might be interesting to see what artworks people have been able to take pictures of because they had a small sensor camera with them.

In a London square near Southwark

DP1

Last edited:

Will

Outside the Goodwood sculpture park.

GRD1 iso400 deliberately pushed the grain effect with sharpening.

Will

Will,

I like the way the grain on the foreground sculptures is echoed by the detail of the leaves in the background.
Thanks Ed. It was one of those rare images that seemed to look better and better the more I pushed the sharpening (not sure about the banding in the sky though!). I also like the way that the top of the sculpture runs along almost parallel to the distant horizon and trees.

Last edited:

pollobarca

Nothing Misleading about this one- I wonder what would be said if someone made a statue like this nowadays? Outrageous! Piazza Nettuno Bologna:-

Oh, and its in front of the cathedral too.
b rgds

paul

pollobarca

Nice work Will ,colours and detail are great. Looking at the title of the thread perhaps it may be an idea to explain why a small sensor camera helped make the picture possible.

So- neptunes mermaid taken at night with the Olympus c5050z. No IS but I was able to steady the camera by placing on the marble surround of the fountain-using the neck strap, balled up as a cushion , underneath the camera.

2 more , 1 with Oly the other with the GX100:-

Innsbruck,C5050 + Nikon WCE68 wide angle converter ,Here its handheld but pulling against the neckstrap.

Same statue (installation?) but with the GX100 on its own , IS works well! On its own the GX100 still has 4mm more wide angle than the C5050-wce68 , so I could really have had the camera in my pocket.
:-

I can carry all my camera kit in a small samsonite camera case.

B rgds

paul

Last edited:

helenhill

What a Fantastic Thread......Rather UpLifting
Everyone's 'ART' perspective is Grand

So Refreshing after the day in day out
DREARY Conditions of Life in the Modern World / be it Newspapers,Radio, Peoples Conversations....
What the hell is going on in this World...... the World Economy, Famine,
Wars & Brutality
:eek:H

helenhill

Sorry Will
Did not mean to dampen the great thread
Just Haunted today by an article I read in 'The Guardian'
"The G8 Summit 2001 /The bloody battle of Genoa"
& that photo with the story just blew my Mind.
So between that & working today with six hours of someone blasting their radio w/news
of everything going on in the World (mind you not the good things)
I'm BURIED tonight mentally/emotionaly......whew

helen:(

Will

Helen

Sorry to hear that you are bearing the burdens of the world atm :(
I get that way sometimes as well and it is hard to remember that on a personal level the vast majority of people in the world are doing, or trying to do, their best to make things good. Part of that effort is all the wonderful art around us.
Hang in there and you will come out the other side (thats what I remind myself when I'm down)

Will

Part of a new sculpture at Pardon Mill in Harlow UK. There are a whole series of artworks being installed along the canal there.

GRD2 in camera B&W conversion.

nostatic

Instalation using recycled glass and light.

GRD2
I love this shot.

My g/f is an artist who works mostly with plastics. She has some great textures in her work that I've never quite captured. One of the differences between sculpture and photography...

H

Hypnohare

I'm sure I posted this photo in a previous thread, but I couldn't resist doing it again.

I shot this picture of Lee Lawrie's "Atlas" in February from a busy sidewalk at New York's Rockefeller Center with a GR II Digital (ISO 100)

Well, I finally got around to making an 8 by 10 print of this image a few weeks ago and I was shocked (and pleased) that the face of the statue was crystal clear. The reason for my surprise was that the camera was handheld and the shutter speed was 1/6 second and somehow I held really still with the wind and the busy of pedestrians buzzing around me!

P

Pavel

Pls, don't let this wonderful thread die! Anybody who can bring more photos like in preceeding posts, please, contribute! Thanks!

Will

I'll contribute some more. May have posted a couple of these on other threads in the past though.

At Goodwood sculpture park.

Another monolith, this time a memorial to police killed in the line of duty. Just off The Mall. My son adding human scale.

Old sculpture but none the worse for that. Doubt it needs explaining.