The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Streetwork and the compact camera.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Is there any interest in streetwork? That genre' is my main sourse of energy to feed my soul. I have come to terms with the Canon G9 and the Leica D-Lux 3. Those 2 cameras for me are better than anything else out there.

I qualify that statement by adding that I have a 5D, D300 and an M8. I've been a Leica photographer for many years and now that I'm full digital, these 2 cameras are it.

Does anybody work in this Genre'? Is there an interest here?

Shooter

smokysun

hi shooter,
i suspect you've opened pandora's box! most people here interested, i suspect, as the small sensor camera seems made for this kind of work. very nice shots on your site. i just re-read a book that's fairly scarce but very enjoyable and several copies available at amazon. grab it right away, if you want one.

http://www.amazon.com/Shots-Hip-Ano...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216180284&sr=8-1

as for cameras, i did shoot a lot with the d-lux 2 and finally despaired of its low-light performance. now my two favorite cameras are the fuji 30/31 and the fuji s6000.

check out the threads on the ricoh's. this is turning out to be the choice of many people.

anyway, i'm glad you've started this thread. hopefully a lot of people will respond.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

PeterA

There is a loose affiliation of about 20-30 people I stay in regular contact with who shoot street. You can find some ok stuff on PN - but most have migrated away to Flickr.

There is no tradition of posting pics according to genre on here yet- most of the attempts have been under camera type categories - which to any street shooter - is a total joke.

V

Vivek

...- most of the attempts have been under camera type categories - which to any street shooter - is a total joke.
I think that does not hold any water. Any photographer worth their salt cares about his/her gear. Some just pretend not to and just screw up one gear forum with talks of another brand.

I am for a separate category of whatever category of photos but not at the expense of some time wasters coming and bashing some brands or price category of cameras/gear. Things are excellent here as they are.

Last edited:
V

VladimirV

You have some great pictures on your site from the quick look I had (need to take more time for it).
I think small sensor cameras are now what rangefinders used to be for street photography. They are small and silent, you look enough like a tourist so you can blend in very well. I noticed that using a rangefinder or rangefinder like camera causes more attention than when using a dSLR since everyone has either a compact or dSLR camera these days.
The Ricoh GRD was the camera that got me into street photography since it is like made for this with the snap focus, appearance and controls. While the camera does not matter, the right camera makes it a lot easier to see and take the shots.

You can see some of my pictures on my blog and Flick page but I hope we will have a interesting discussion here regarding this.

Here one of my favourite shots.

Will

There is a loose affiliation of about 20-30 people I stay in regular contact with who shoot street. You can find some ok stuff on PN - but most have migrated away to Flickr.

There is no tradition of posting pics according to genre on here yet- most of the attempts have been under camera type categories - which to any street shooter - is a total joke.
If this were a Street photography section of GetDPI your comment would have some justification, but it is the Small Sensor Camera section so camera/sensor type threads is pretty fundamental to it's purpose. Having said that there are any number of threads in here on a refreshingly diverse set of subjects, including some relating to 'street photography'.

Shooter
You have some exceptionally good images on your web site (all of them actually). I took a long while looking through them this morning and found the experience quite humbling.

Some of mine (posted in other threads here before)

Last edited:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Thanks all for responding. It seems there's an interest here. I'm sure it would be more obvious if it was more open in another thread. Maybe in time. Thanks for visiting my site. It needs to be updated but my time goes mostly to making images for Warriors' Watch Riders.

The images some of you posted are good and proves that this Genre' still has promise.

Shooter

PeterA

Vivek

When someone ( anyone) shows me a street shot that can only be made with this or that or the other camera gizmo - I will be prepared to bow to that greater wisdom. In the meantime - excuse me for laughing my head off at such stoopid and clearly naive notions.:ROTFL::ROTFL:

Regarding the forum being small format or whatever - I stand corrected. Actually I didnt notice the forum the post was made on - and just answered the gentleman's question - from my own (clearly mistaken) point of view.

btw - Mt 'street shooter' - I like a lot of your work on your site :) thanks for the link.

Last edited:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Peter, I think you missed the point or I did. I don't remember seeing where the compact camera is THE only camera for street work. It's my preference and choice but certainly not the only way.

I'm gittin old my friend...maybe I missed somethin'...at least ya had a good laugh.

Don

Lili

My choice for this kind of work is my GRD First Gen or my Hexar AF.
I would love to see someone try Streetwork with a Speed Graphic tho ;)

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Speed graphic...hmmmm wonder if Walker Evans ever thought of that...kidding, it's really not about the camera as it is about the approach and attitude. Lil, your point is well taken, as technology catches up with camera design, it gets more exciting to hit the beaten path on the street.

I just love using the screen for framing an image. It translates the 3 dimensional reality into 2 dimensions very well...kinda like a Speed Graphic...

woodyspedden

My choice for this kind of work is my GRD First Gen or my Hexar AF.
I would love to see someone try Streetwork with a Speed Graphic tho ;)
Well Lili, I think we might all agree that Weegee was a renowned street shooter and indeed he did much of his work with the famous old Speed Graphic. I guess that where there is a will, there is a way.

Woody

V

Vivek

Peter, I know your interests and I am with you. I was merely pointing out a major pitfall.

If you haven't seen a recent thread on the leica forum (p.net) of a photo taken with a Canon QL17, you should and there you will see the redundant arguments again which are frankly tiring and serves no purpose.

FWIW, I use RF cams, TLRs, DSLRs and whatever I happened to carry for my snaps.

Don, Yes, thanks for you website link. I enjoyed.:)

Lili

Speed graphic...hmmmm wonder if Walker Evans ever thought of that...kidding, it's really not about the camera as it is about the approach and attitude. Lil, your point is well taken, as technology catches up with camera design, it gets more exciting to hit the beaten path on the street.

I just love using the screen for framing an image. It translates the 3 dimensional reality into 2 dimensions very well...kinda like a Speed Graphic...
Don, in many ways I can see the analogy to the Graphic, espically using the wire frame finder on one (i've a good friend that swears by 4X5 and his Graphic).
As in most things in Life, Attitude is everything ;)

Well Lili, I think we might all agree that Weegee was a renowned street shooter and indeed he did much of his work with the famous old Speed Graphic. I guess that where there is a will, there is a way.

Woody

Arthur Fellig aka Weegee was a Streetshooting God!!!
Well not a God perhaps, but his attitude and skills ruled.
:)

smokysun

i think these discussions benefit from an historical perspective. here's the classic on this subject!

http://www.amazon.com/Bystander-His...d_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216221657&sr=8-1

it's interesting to see what's been done by the masters of the genre.

also, sean reid has a couple very nice essays on street work at

http://www.reidreviews.com/reidreviews/

it costs to join his site but well worth it.

here's one of my own favorite attempts:

www.pbase.com/wwp/peets

best,
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Anyway, time to move this along. Let's talk about triggers. Do you have certain stimulants that trigger your vision.

Do you know how to spot trasisitional images in your body of work?

Do you know about the irritant in images?

Are you bored out there?

Hmmm what say you?

Lili

Anyway, time to move this along. Let's talk about triggers. Do you have certain stimulants that trigger your vision.

Light and patterns, it is not so much a conscious thing, a moment will just sieze my attention. I then try to reflect that in the photo

Do you know how to spot trasisitional images in your body of work?

Unsure what you mean? Changes in vision?

Do you know about the irritant in images?

Like theone thing that is out of place :)

Are you bored out there?

Hmmm what say you?[/QUOTE]

V

VladimirV

For me it is more being in the mindset of taking pictures and keeping my eyes open for interesting things around me. Sometimes it is just about being in the right place at the right time.

I guess if someone is bored, maybe they shouldn't be out there in the first place.