The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Glasses and Viewfinder

Mitchell

Hi,

Great forum.

I'm close to buying a GRD II. I wear glasses so I have wanted to get a viewfinder that takes a diopter. But maybe taking glasses off to take a picture makes it less spontaneous. The point of this camera for me is to take pictures of friends at diner, etc. Maybe I'll be better off wearing glasses while shooting, not having to change back and forth like I do with my M 8.

Does anyone use the EV 2 viewfinder with glasses? Is that a better solution?

I think that Mitch uses the screen for framing. For me to do that I'll need to take off my distance glasses and use my reading glasses. Getting old is a pain in the ......

Thanks for any advice on this.

Best,

Mitchell

Robert Campbell

You could consider varifocal lenses for the glasses - they do take a bit of getting used to, but mostly work well enough. You won't need to change them for everyday tasks, though I find that for much reading designated glasses are better. As you say, getting old is a ...

Bertie

J

John-G

I've seen some creative opticians make a custom lens to insert over the rear lens of the viewfinder to account for your glasses prescription. Depending on how the rear lens is seated into the viewfinder housing there may be enough of a lip to tightly squeeze a lens into place with your basic distance glasses Rx.

Mitchell

Thanks Robert and John. So far I steered clear of the varifocal option. Thought I might not like it, but I may try it eventually.
Getting a lens from an optician and sticking it on should work.
I spoke to Tony Rose at PopFlash and he says the new viewfinder EV 2 works well with glasses. I'm going to order it and see if wearing glasses works for me.

Thanks again,

Mitchell

A

asabet

I use the CV Minifinder with glasses on and find that there is just enough eye relief. If Tony says the EV-2 works with glasses, I would trust him!

Lili

;
I use the CV Minifinder with glasses on and find that there is just enough eye relief. If Tony says the EV-2 works with glasses, I would trust him!

Hmmm, that is interesting. I have the CV 28mm Brightline finder which is excellent but the eye relief is low enough that my lashes can leave marks on the eyepeice.
From your description it sounds like the mini-finder has a more generous relief
;)

C

chris_tribble

Hi,

Does anyone use the EV 2 viewfinder with glasses? Is that a better solution?

Mitchell
Mitch - the Leica 21-24-28 works well and takes a diopter.

While on the subject, if any one's in London and wants a standard 21/28 finder then RG Lewis has these in stock for the silly price of around £40!!! Worth buying for the M8 too. I've now got one with my shiny new GR2 and am a happy bunny...
:D