The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GRDx: separate cameras or converter lenses?

Robert Campbell

It sure looks like dust. I myself have never seen it in files from small sensor cameras but I guess its possible. Was it there from the start?

Cheers,

Sean
Sean,

It's my wife's camera, and the pix were originally sent [in 2005] by email to me; and the camera and the computer with the originals are both in Switzerland, and I'm in Ireland at present, so I can't check. But as far as I recall, the spot wasn't there at the start, but once it came it just stayed. It annoyed me so much that I asked the local camera shop about cleaning - not economically worthwhile, so I had to get her another. If I remember, I'll check this out next week when I am in Switzerland.

Regards

Bertie

clay stewart

It sure looks like dust. I myself have never seen it in files from small sensor cameras but I guess its possible. Was it there from the start?

Cheers,

Sean
Sean, I've seen quite a few complaints on the web, over the past year or so. A quick Google search brought up these.http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/r
eadflat.asp?forum=1013&message=25889606&changemode=1

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1013&message=24662428&changemode=1

http://www.lightstalkers.org/the-new-ricoh-grd-ii-arrived-

S

Sean_Reid

Its news to me. So are many people seeing dust on the sensors of their fixed lens digital cameras? I wonder how common it is.

Cheers,

Sean

clay stewart

Who makes a fixed lens- non-protruding prime lens- digital camera? I can't think of any off hand other than an old Kodak easy share 3mp from a few years back.

C

chris_tribble

Sean,

It's my wife's camera, and the pix were originally sent [in 2005] by email to me; and the camera and the computer with the originals are both in Switzerland, and I'm in Ireland at present, so I can't check. But as far as I recall, the spot wasn't there at the start, but once it came it just stayed. It annoyed me so much that I asked the local camera shop about cleaning - not economically worthwhile, so I had to get her another. If I remember, I'll check this out next week when I am in Switzerland.

Regards

Bertie
If you do have systematically patterned dust on a sensor it's worth considering betting Lightroom - the dust fixing tool and its capacity to sync across unlimited files might be the answer....

Robert Campbell

If you do have systematically patterned dust on a sensor it's worth considering betting Lightroom - the dust fixing tool and its capacity to sync across unlimited files might be the answer....
What a good idea - it hadn't occurred to me! I checked with my wife tonight, and we think that the camera was OK for one to two years before this spot appeared -- it doesn't seem to annoy her, but it really upsets me. And this camera remains her favourite - I can forsee an expensive sensor clean looming :)

Bertie

Robert Campbell

Re: Dust on small sensors?

Sean,

If I remember, I'll check this out next week when I am in Switzerland.

Regards

Bertie
The dust problem - if that it what it is - remains; two pix from today, at the zoom extremes. I don't think that it is possible to keep a constant aperture on this camera.
f=7.1, 1/501, @7.4mm

f=13, 1/159, @ 22.2mm

The variable size of this spot makes batch retouching difficult.

Regards, Bertie

7ian7

Back to focal lengths, I'm enjoying the wide capabilities
of the GX100, but I always come back to portraits of faces
and torsos, for which the 72mm (or greater) is still the
most flattering. The sharpness varies wildly across the
aperture range of the 72mm on the GX100, but it is still best
for these kind of shots. Sean have you published test results
about the sharpest aperture for the fully extended GX100 lens?

Anyway, for me a 50mm f2 fixed GRD, with a 90mm "portrait"
conversion lens would be the ideal. And while we're at it, if the
math would permit, what about a "tilt" 90, that would enable
"artificial" control of the depth-of-field for softer backgrounds?

Cheers,
Ian

Mitchell

I'd love a 50 mm version. Judging from other cameras, I wouldn't think the lens would have to be much bigger than the 28 version if it were the same speed.

I'm liking the 28 mm which is a challenge for me. It makes interesting shots. But, I'd use 50 a lot more.

I'd much rather have a 50 and 28, than any two combination with one a being a 35.

I like the idea of a bullet proof, dust free fixed lens, but love the slim form of the retractable lens. Hard to choose. It would depend on how big the fixed lens was.

I have the 40 mm conversion lens. It's not a solution I'm crazy about. I can see it for camping where weight is a big factor. But, if I'm going to be changing lenses and using a non-pocketable camera, I'm better off with my M8.

The big exception is when I want the big DOF. So shooting people on the street or with friends, the 40 mm may be pretty cool.

Best,

Mitchell

M

Mitch Alland

I'd love a 50 mm version. Judging from other cameras, I wouldn't think the lens would have to be much bigger than the 28 version if it were the same speed...
I can't see how you draw this conclusion: look at how large the diameter of the 40m tele-converter is — a camera wuth a 50mm EFOV lens, it would seem to me, would have to have a still larger diameter, which would make for a larger camera that would no longer fit the GR concept.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

Mitchell

Mitch,

I think a prime lens would be a lot smaller than a conversion lens. Stacking one lens on another is bound to be bulkier. A Leica M 50 is roughly the same size as a M 28 of the same aperture speed.

A prime GRD will, I'm guessing, be smaller than the zoom on the GX 100, which, I'm guessing is a lot smaller than the the GRD with the 40 mm conversion lens.

Best,

Mitchell

7ian7

Frustrating to even imagine, as the likelihood of Ricoh
producing this animal seems ... unlikely.

S

Sean_Reid

Back to focal lengths, I'm enjoying the wide capabilities
of the GX100, but I always come back to portraits of faces
and torsos, for which the 72mm (or greater) is still the
most flattering. The sharpness varies wildly across the
aperture range of the 72mm on the GX100, but it is still best
for these kind of shots. Sean have you published test results
about the sharpest aperture for the fully extended GX100 lens?

Anyway, for me a 50mm f2 fixed GRD, with a 90mm "portrait"
conversion lens would be the ideal. And while we're at it, if the
math would permit, what about a "tilt" 90, that would enable
"artificial" control of the depth-of-field for softer backgrounds?

Cheers,
Ian
I've published resolution results for the GX-100 lens at various apertures at the step-zoom focal lengths.

Cheers,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

I can't see how you draw this conclusion: look at how large the diameter of the 40m tele-converter is — a camera wuth a 50mm EFOV lens, it would seem to me, would have to have a still larger diameter, which would make for a larger camera that would no longer fit the GR concept.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/
Some of the older Olympus small sensor cameras had retractable zoom lenses that went to F/1.8 wide open. I think it should be possible and it makes a lot of sense for a SSC to have a fast lens.

Cheers,

Sean