The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LX3 is here!!??

A

asabet

I think it is pretty exciting Jono. An f/2-2.8, 2.5x zoom lens is sort of a return to the age of bridge cameras, and they managed to do it without approaching the overall size of those cameras from 4-5 years ago.

A true 24mm equivalent diagonal angle of view in 16x9 aspect ratio has great potential for XPan-ish photography, and the combination of f/2 and OIS at that setting means that opportunities for outdoor situational photography ought to continue as the sunlight fades.

Here's an impressive (IMO) sample image taken at 4:3, 24mm at Photoscala -> Sample

Here's a DigitalCameraReview.com sample image, also at 24mm, which pushes the dynamic range capabilities of this camera -> Sample

The person who took the latter image was impressed with the metering and DR on that shot. While I agree that the metering was handled well by the camera, the tonal range betrays the small sensor IMO. Specifically, the shadows are blocked up. Nevertheless, this is overall a strong performance for a small sensor camera.

Lili

I LIKE fast glass.
A lot.
Combined with effect OIS, this camera could really rule available light wise.
One my big complaints about most compact camera zooms is the lack of speed, esp at the long end where one needs it most.
This goes a LOOONG way toward addressing that issue
Dang....

Tim

I like the GX200 but this LX3 makes it a tough decision..

I think the GX200 will have the physical size advantage? but the LX3 the max aperture advantage.

Maybe I'll just have to get both.

Tim

Last edited:

Tim

Can someone qualify one point for me?

Is the Panasonic LX2 and the Leica equivalent made of the same body materials? I heard that the Leica was metal where the Panasonic was plastic? Is this the case?

Will the Leica version of the LX3 be made from the same build materials as the Panasonic?

O

Oxide Blu

So how do you get the RAW files from this camera into Capture NX? What I'm doing now with my GRD II is to load the DNG files into PS Elements, convert to TIFF and write back out, and then load the TIFF into Capture NX. Is there a better way to get non-Nikon DNG/RAW files into Capture NX?

I was kind of excited by the announcement/leaking of news about the new Nikon P6000 because of the interface to Capture NX. But I could get just as excited, maybe more, over this new Panny (and Leica?).

jonoslack

So how do you get the RAW files from this camera into Capture NX? What I'm doing now with my GRD II is to load the DNG files into PS Elements, convert to TIFF and write back out, and then load the TIFF into Capture NX. Is there a better way to get non-Nikon DNG/RAW files into Capture NX?

I was kind of excited by the announcement/leaking of news about the new Nikon P6000 because of the interface to Capture NX. But I could get just as excited, maybe more, over this new Panny (and Leica?).
Hi there
I can't imagine why you'd want to do such a thing, but, assuming PS elements reads the RAW files, then you'll need to do the same thing.
Why not use Aperture or Lightroom, which will read them straight away?

jonoslack

I think it is pretty exciting Jono. An f/2-2.8, 2.5x zoom lens is sort of a return to the age of bridge cameras, and they managed to do it without approaching the overall size of those cameras from 4-5 years ago.

A true 24mm equivalent diagonal angle of view in 16x9 aspect ratio has great potential for XPan-ish photography, and the combination of f/2 and OIS at that setting means that opportunities for outdoor situational photography ought to continue as the sunlight fades.
Hi Amin
I agree - definitely exciting, and for me, I'm pleased that the higher resolution this time is on the 4:3 rather than 16:9, a better combination (3:2 doesn't lose much either).

I suppose it all hinges on the sensor, for once we will be able to see if there really has been much of an advance in sensor design (it's hard to tell when the new sensor is always higher resolution than the old).

Joan

This is exactly what I've been hoping for in the LX3! Hurray for Panasonic! Some of the samples look quite encouraging, don't they?

C

Chuck A

After a quick look the LX3 looks great with alot of wonderful upgrades. It is definitely worth a look. I won't list all of the new controls and creative options that I like but there are definitely some things that one-up the Ricohs. The 24mm f/2.0 lens is a real draw but for me there are some things missing. I don't see a step zoom option. That is the the main reason I love the GX100. A square aspect option would have been nice as well.

I am concerned about the new Venus engine. The JPGs look pretty good but the RAW smoothing we saw in the LX2 will have to be gone for me to take this camera seriously. I hope that Panasonic learned that photographers want RAW files that are free from processing. I will be looking for direct RAW image comparisons to the Ricoh models.

It is great to have manufacturers listening to us. Pan and Ricoh are taking different approaches and neither company has produced the perfect compact but it is nice to have these options. Things just keep getting better. I look forward to the reviews, especially Sean's.

Remember Helen, GAS is forever. ;-)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I had dinner with Terry last night here in NY and we where talking about this camera. Sounds really nice

Lili

I really like what Panasonic has done, they acknowledge the cost in IQ if the MP wars.
I have reviewed the sample images I can find and a couple of this disturb me a bit.
They look..flat almost.
Very sharp but lack sparkle.
This could be my monitor but it looks that way on three different ones.
Plus one image in B&W of a bridge, cannot find it right now; looks odd in the sky, like there are faint artifacts in the grey transitions.
Again, these are sample image and nothing definitive
*crosses fingers for good IQ*

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Myself,
I'm looking to see if Leica will introduce the counterpart, the D-Lux 4. The Panny looks great but there will be some differences withe the Leica, minor but noticable.

Lili's right, that lens is the s**t....shooter

Tim

Myself,
I'm looking to see if Leica will introduce the counterpart, the D-Lux 4. The Panny looks great but there will be some differences withe the Leica, minor but noticable.
I was asking this in an eariler post, will the Leica be the same build? ie: same materials, electronics etc? Is the only difference between the Panasonic and the Leica to do with firmware?

Thanks

Tim

Michael S

Panasonic LX2 and Leica DLux 3 had identical hardware -- same sensor, same lens, same body, same flash, same buttons ....

As I recall, the distinctions were:

(i) in-camera jpeg processing was 'tuned' differently;

(ii) different photo-editing software came in the box;

(iii) different and appreciably longer warranty w/ the Leica; and

(iv) a very different price, which finally settled at about $200 more (in the US) for the Leica (approx $599 vs $399 or even a bit less for the Panasonic).

Have no idea whether Leica will introduce a 'cousin' to the LX3, and if so, whether and in what ways it will differ ... other than in price, of course.