The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LX3 is here!!??

Stuart Richardson

I agree. It is certainly better to have an informed person write poorly than an uninformed person write well (at least if you are seeking information rather than diversion), but it is a shame we cannot have both. If you want a clear demonstration of how the state of newspaper writing has declined, try reading an article from the beginning of the century. I was a graduate student in history, so I did this regularly. For example, here is an excerpt from a NY Times article from 1914 about the breakdown of relations before WWI:

"Germany is doomed to sure defeat. Bankrupt in statesmanship, overmatched in arms, under the moral condemnation of the civilized world, befriended only by the Austrian and the Turk, two backward-looking and dying nations, desperately battling against the hosts of three great powers to which help and reinforcement from States now neutral will certainly come should the decision be long deferred, she pours out the blood of her heroic subjects and wastes her diminishing substances in a hopeless struggle that postpones, but cannot alter, the fatal decree." Hey David Pogue, the 1914 NY Times called. They want their newspaper back. Ok, that was just dumb, but the difference in the writing is stark. Granted, it is a hell of a run on sentence, but the sheer authority of the words and structure is impressive.

At this point I will stop and not bring this up again.

I think the samples from the LX3 look good for a digital point and shoot and it has some excellent features, so I hope that those of you who buy it truly enjoy it!

O

Oxide Blu

Good example of the way they used to write the news.

And this is how they write the news today:

And it came to pass, in the eighth year of the reign of the evil Bush the Younger (The Ignorant), when the whole land from the Arabian desert to the shores of the Great Lakes had been laid barren, that a Child appeared in the wilderness.

The Child was blessed in looks and intellect. Scion of a simple family, offspring of a miraculous union, grandson of a typical white person and an African peasant. And yea, as he grew, the Child walked in the path of righteousness, with only the occasional detour into the odd weed and a little blow.

When he was twelve years old, they found him in the temple in the City of Chicago, arguing the finer points of community organisation with the Prophet Jeremiah and the Elders. And the Elders were astonished at what they heard and said among themselves: “Verily, who is this Child that he opens our hearts and minds to the audacity of hope?”

In the great Battles of Caucus and Primary he smote the conniving Hillary, wife of the deposed King Bill the Priapic and their barbarian hordes of Working Class Whites. ...

:D

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/gerard_baker/article4392846.ece

sizifo

Good example of the way they used to write the news.

And this is how they write the news today:

And it came to pass, in the eighth year of the reign of the evil Bush the Younger (The Ignorant), when the whole land from the Arabian desert to the shores of the Great Lakes had been laid barren, that a Child appeared in the wilderness.

The Child was blessed in looks and intellect. Scion of a simple family, offspring of a miraculous union, grandson of a typical white person and an African peasant. And yea, as he grew, the Child walked in the path of righteousness, with only the occasional detour into the odd weed and a little blow.

When he was twelve years old, they found him in the temple in the City of Chicago, arguing the finer points of community organisation with the Prophet Jeremiah and the Elders. And the Elders were astonished at what they heard and said among themselves: “Verily, who is this Child that he opens our hearts and minds to the audacity of hope?”

In the great Battles of Caucus and Primary he smote the conniving Hillary, wife of the deposed King Bill the Priapic and their barbarian hordes of Working Class Whites. ...

:D

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/gerard_baker/article4392846.ece
That's really funny.

I'm living in germany at the moment, where the more traditional style of writing is more preserved than in the uk or in the states, and I do have a problem with it. Plenty of newspapers still measure 1 meter by 2 meters :) The problem is that everybody in these papers uses it, in the vast majority of cases it's unnecessarily constraining, and more often than not it's really style over substance. Very often a sentence will stretch over a whole paragraph, and if you take time to dissect what it says, you'll find: well, often not very much at all. I'm much more in favor of having a culture where style is secondary. If somebody is able to and enjoys writing more elaborately, than fine. Say for example Sein Reid's reviews, wonderful writing, wonderful substance. If not, they may have a lot to say anyway. I'm happy to see established newspapers change away from the traditional.

N

nei1

As panosonic have only announced a 24mm viewfinder I suspect that it wont have a step zoom feature.Now if the leica version were to have a step zoom then it would be well worth paying the extra.Square format in raw would be icing on the cake.

N

nei1

http://exifdb.popco.net/... ...=PANASONIC&model=231&modelname=LUMIX%20DMC-LX3

These test shots look like good news for the lx3 but Im not sure that I know what Im talking about.What do you think?(from dpreview blog)
link does not work,maybe best to try from the dpreview panosonic blog...Korean.

Last edited:
A

asabet

They really do look pretty good. The in-camera noise reduction seems much nicer than that in the LX2, and there is also better edge/corner sharpness. The processor seems to be correcting for barrel distortion (eg, in the 18mm wide converter shots) as well as lateral CA. Image quality is very good for a small sensor camera, and the studio ISO tests (linked directly from our blog here) suggest that this will be one of the best compacts around for low light/ Possibly the very best when one takes into account the f/2 lens and OIS.