The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New GRDII firmware 2.10 has been released!

ecliffordsmith

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the tip off. I am actually quite a few versions behind it seems but these features do seem useful. I will try this out over the weekend.

It is good of Ricoh to regularly release the improvements.

V

VladimirV

The firmware do bring a few nice functions. I particularly found the ISO display, auto aperture shift and WB adjustment quite useful.
What do you think of the new stuff from the firmware? :)
The features are quite usefull aside from the camera crashing when it reaches and tries to go below f9.0 and 1/2000 in Auto Aperture Shift.

Not sure and I need more tests but I believe Ricoh made a small change to the NR when set to off.

The WB Adjustement is a cool feature and I wondered why Ricoh did not include it before.

Will have to test it a bit more to get a better impression of the new features and if the NR off is indeed slightly changed.

ecliffordsmith

Vladimir,

Thanks for the useful feedback. I am curious about the NR. If there is is less of it when it is supposed to be off then that can only be a good thing.

C

Caer

Oo, I like the Auto Aperture thing, and the WB shift! The WB shift in particular, since I always thought the presets were a bit too magenta.

And weirdly, the lens makes a different sound when I switch the camera on now. It's a more continuous high-pitched tone, whereas it did a sort of "wheeee whoooot" noise before.

E

eelekim

Yes, Caer, I found the power up noise is different too. Interesting. And someone said the focus speed under low light is a little faster with the new firmware. I'm not sure though.

VladimirV, I'm glad to hear your initial finding of the NR issue. If it's really the case, that's good. But I still shoot in RAW mode until the jpg details are really pretty close to dng's. Then I don't need to spend time for conversion. (I don't like to alter what I've taken unless the photos are very bad. :p)

mike

V

VladimirV

Here are my impressions that I wrote on my blog yesterday evening. Unfortunatelly the NR is still not fully off or a great deal better but there is a slight improvement. I need to test this more with long exposures and different NR settings but it does not look like the NR is really off, more improved.

Today, Ricoh released the new firmware update for the GRD II. It offers the following function enhancements:
- Auto aperture setting to avoid overexposure,
- White balance adjust option like in the R8 and GX200
- Noise reduction on only when over ISO 400, 800 or only at ISO 1600

Of all these features I expected the NR option to finally bring some change to the smearing but I've been wrong, jpgs are still unusable although slightly better. Tested with two GRD II's next to each other and the one with the new firmware had slightly more noise and was sharper but this could have been just different metering. The GRD I produced better but underexposed images at the same settings.

The Auto Aperture setting works as long as you don't reach the lowest aperture and fastest shutter speed or the camera will crash. So not really usable in all instances and could cause you to miss shots.

The WB adjust option was the feature I thought least useful since the jpgs are not really useful for me and it looked too slow to adjust when shooting. The good news is that it is the best feature and pretty fast and easy to adjust when shooting. Yes, the jpgs are not usable and it does not apply to RAW files but it's a cool idea.
Be aware that you can adjust it during shooting even when using RAW but during playback only when using jpg WITHOUT RAW. Also as mentioned, the settings do not apply to RAW even if you select camera WB.

The other enhancements were not really important for me. Like displaying the correct ISO when using Auto ISO or Auto High ISO.

ecliffordsmith

Vladimir,

Interesting observations, thanks for taking the time to share them with us. I will download this over the weekend.

O

Oxide Blu

ecliffordsmith - it's only going to be 5-mins out of your weekend to update your GRDII. :thumbup: Be sure to download all of your pix before updating the firmware.

Overall, I am impressed with how Ricoh is staying on top of the GRD product with software updates. I suspect there will be a patch to fix the fast shutter/low ap crashing problem.