The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Black an White GRD I and II Comparison

V

VladimirV

If you are interested in how the GRDs (and the LC1) process b&w pictures and why most people prefer the GRD I for b&w work have a look here:

http://ricoh-gr-diary.blogspot.com/2008/07/black-and-white-comparison.html

I will post more this evening and also process the GRD II RAWs in a different way.

My conclusion for now is that:

1. I still prefer the GRD I jpgs and can always point them out straight away.
2. I messed up the RAW conversions and instead of going for the GRD I look I went for higher tonality so will re-do this and re post the images.
3. The GRD II RAW files have the highest dynamic range together with the LC1, that is still a bit better.

O

Oxide Blu

Thank you for doing this comparison. I don't have a GRD I, was wondering how it compared to the GRD II.

Suggestion: for each matrix, keep the same image source in the same location, i.e. always put the sample of the GRD I JPEG in the upper left corner of every matrix, the GRD II JPEG in the upper right corner, the GRD II RAW in the lower left corner, the LC1 in the lower right corner ... the same for every matrix.

That would make comparing all sources of the B&W images much easier, also makes it easier to compare any two sources to each other.

If I had the cameras I would do a similar comparison of B&W images using both internal and external flash.

V

VladimirV

Thanks, glad you find it useful.

Faststone was arranging the pictures in the matrix but I left it since the GRD I picture stands out no matter where it is so kind of proves the point better ;). But you are right, having the pictures in the same place would be better.

I can do a comparison when using the internal flash but I almost never use it and do not own an external flash so my findings might be flawed. I always leave the camera to decide the flash and just use the flash compensation in the rare case I turn the flash on.

naoip

Great site Vladimir!!

I just returned my GX200 i liked it a lot but i just missed the Grdi,and couldn't afford both..The Grdi is such a sweet camera :D

V

VladimirV

Thanks, the GRD I is indeed a very special camera. Could never part with mine and am tempted to buy a new one to have just in case something happens with mine.

naoip

Check out ur local Jessops got mine for £190 today..Local store was sold out, but put one by for me at another store..

Think the guy said the stock was showing 12 models across UK,but it doesn't show on their public web site..