The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

So many Ricoh users.....

bensonga

I recently purchased a Canon G9. Well made, etc but I'm actually a bit disappointed with the image quality. In some respects, my old Canon G2 seems better.

Ok, so here's my question. There are so many Ricoh GRD/GX users here....is the image quality of the Ricoh cameras really any better than something like the Canon G9? From the reviews (dpreview is my main source), I wouldn't think so....what am I missing?

By the way, I've been very impressed with many of the images folks have taken with their GRD/GX cameras and posted here....which is what leads me give these cameras a closer look.

I was actually on the verge of ordering a GRD2 from Amazon/Adorama today when I thought to myself....what am I doing buying ANOTHER small sensor P&S camera? There's already a G2, G9, S3IS and CP4500 (used solely for afocal astrophotography) on the shelf....none of which are getting used often enough. Might be time to start selling some excess gear.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Terry

did you commit the cardinal sin of small sensors and start looking around at 100% :eek::eek::eek:!!!!

Seriously these camera are now 10+mp on tiny sensors they all look bad full sized on the GRD II the output is good at base ISO and as you get up in ISO magically you start to see more work done in B&W.

Don't forget you are seeing things posted here that are generally reduced to 900 pixels which does wonders for some of the images.

Honestly I think we are on the cusp of seeing a significant improvement in camera size vs. sensor/image quality. So right now I would sit tight until Photokina and get a better lay of the land as to what is coming from micro 4/3, Leica and perhaps an APS-C sensor size from someone else.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
What Terry said. I'd only add that the User Interface on the Ricoh was clearly designed by a photographer --- that and the fact it is pretty fast for a small camera are really the main reasons I like using it over other alternatives.

Cheers,

C

Caer

I agree with Jack here - it's not so much the image quality that I like about my GRD2 (although it's fine) but the interface and speed of the camera.

Nigel Rea

I think with all small sensor cameras (and I have several) you have to accept their limitations regarding IQ. However they are great in other ways. Buying yet another camera is unlikely to satisfy your quest.

Although the Ricohs are considered great cameras to handle and are built well it is interesting that our highly respected photo magazine AP only gives the GX200 and R8 cameras 25/40 for Image Quality. Some might take issue with this, but they are getting tougher with the review scores although in today's edition they give the Nikon D700 38/40 for Image Quality.

Nigel

Lili

I will agree with what's been said here about IQ and small sensors to a point.
Yes, when Pixel Peeping, the IQ on all of them is not the best
But how often does one look at a tiny part of an image blown up to 100%?
Seldom in the normal course of things.
I have made 8x10 and 11x14 prints from both my GRD First Gen and Fuji S6000fd, at up to ISO 400 for each, in B&W and Color, that I have found completely satisfying.
Yes, the GRD does have visible 'noise' at higher ISO's, but given proper exposure, and to a lesser degree, careful selection of subject, the effect is quite pleasing.
Your Mileage May Vary of course.
While we do seem to be on a cusp now (hopefully a new generation of larger sensor (2/3", 4/3" Micro, etc.), serious compacts will be out this Fall) it is well to recall that it's the photographer the concieves and creates the image.
I despised digital, APS-C or Small Sensor, until a Painter friend of mine gave me a wake up kick.
"Don't try to make digital into film, it's a different palette. Play to its strengths, not its weakness."
The same can be said about the current crop of Small Sensors.
And wasn't that the point of the Small Sensor forum here at DPI?

Sorry for the Editorial, as regards the Ricoh, my GRD produces IQ that is not 'better' per se than other cameras; it is very different.
A very Unique Palette if you will.
Between that and the User Interface, it is simply the most satisfyng camera I have ever owned.

Last edited:

Tim

I couldnt agree with Lili's painter friend more. I find digital images just as valid a medium as film. The GRD II at or under 400 iso and up to 8x10 are perfectly usable for me too.

I view the IQ on the GRD as fine by me - my family cant tell the difference between the GRD and the D80 images, and even if I mention it they dont care. Its the aesthetics and compostition that seem to be more important.

I personally find I like the edge sharpness that digital cameras have. The dynamic range with digital camera is a bigger issue to me than noise - I wish the engineers could fix that one!

Tim