The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Searching for a shirt-pocket camera with RAW capture capability

I am using various “Pro” cameras that all have their merits: Leica M8, Leica R9 with DMR, Panasonic G1 and Nikon D700. All of them give excellent results but all are quite heavy and bulky to carry around. I was missing many shots because I did not have a camera on me when I needed. The best camera is the one you have with you, so I decided to look for such a camera. A cell phone would not provide the IQ I required

I set up the following list of criteria:

- shirt pocket size
- excellent lens, preferably Leica or Zeiss
- wide angle coverage at least 28mm
- RAW capture
- possibility to attach a lens hood
- movie capability not needed, I only take stills
- Capable of good prints up to A3 (12x18)
- reasonably priced

Why RAW? I want the possibility to postprocess and thus rescue shots that do not turn out as I wish them, e.g.

- over- or under-exposed,
- too much or too little contrast,
- white balance off
- in need of perspective and/or distortion correction

Sony, Canon and Nikon encrypt all or portions of the RAW file in an attempt to prevent third-party tools from accessing them and thus were out; I want to use the same RAW converter for all of my cameras and do not want to be dependent on the camera makers’ specific software

Although there are hundreds of shirt pocket cameras on the market, I did not find much choice: After googling and reading many reviews, the Panasonic LX5 aka Leica D_Lux 5
seemed a valid contender but fell short on size, not really shirt pocketable. I would not carry it on me at all times.

Finally the best compromise seemed to be the Panasonic Lumix FX150 (see Detailed Review). Although on the market since 2008, it fulfilled all of my criteria except one, the possibility to easily attach a lens hood, but this is common to most if not all shirt pocket cameras.

I found a good bargain on ebay and bought one at around 200$. I have now used it for two months and am very satisfied, so much so that my other cameras sit most of the time on a shelf. Here a few examples:

Sunflower – original JPEG – re-sized and slighlty sharpened - no need to use RAW

Billboard – Original JPEG (resized)

Billboard after distortion, perspective and white balance correction and optimization from RAW

House of painter Pierre-Auguste Renoir (1841-1919) in Cagnes (French Riviera) – Original JPEG (resized)

House of painter Pierre-Auguste Renoir in Cagnes (French Riviera) – after perspective correction from RAW

thrice

Olympus XZ-1
Decent zoom (4x) and f/1.8 aperture at the wide end. RAW capability. Sharp.

XZ-1 falls short on size

Olympus XZ-1
Decent zoom (4x) and f/1.8 aperture at the wide end. RAW capability. Sharp.
Thanks for the suggestion. With its depth (43mm against 24mm of the FX150) it would not fit easily in the front pocket of my jeans.

sonomichele

Glad you found something that works for you. If you are willing to forego a zoom lens - the Ricoh GRD III is well loved by many and fits your other criteria (although I'm not sure about the hood). With zoom the Canon S95 is often touted as the best in shirt pocket cameras. But if you are good with what you have - stay with it.

DaveO

I have the Samsung tl 350 camera and would recommend it. It has a Schneider Kreuz.
lens that starts at 24mm and goes to 120mm. It is f/2.4 at the wide end. It also can be used in full manual mode ( focus, f stop, aperture, and I believe ISO ) Minimum focus in macro is only about 2 inches though. I don't think it will take a hood, however, there is always your hand to shade the lens. Yes, it also does raw and comes with a raw processor If someone could tell me how to insert pics into a post , I will do so.

DaveO

Tim

Glad you found something that works for you. If you are willing to forego a zoom lens - the Ricoh GRD III is well loved by many and fits your other criteria (although I'm not sure about the hood). With zoom the Canon S95 is often touted as the best in shirt pocket cameras. But if you are good with what you have - stay with it.
+1 from me on the GRD I/II/III or IV -- just look at my Avatar :p. It will take a hood but the hood would have to be removed to make it pocketable. The lens is quite recessed when extended so it kind of has a hood anyway. Take a look at one and see if it fits the need!

Jump to this page http://www.dpreview.net/reviews/ricohgrd/page2.asp and have a look at about the 9th image down to see the hood in place - it bayonets on/off. This is the GRD I but all GRDs have this.

The RAW file is DNG RAW so just about everything software wise that accepts RAW reads it.
With the GRD IV now out the III will be a good price now!

Last edited:

Howard

Peter,

Perhaps your biggest problem is that your shirt-pockets are too small and that limits the number of cameras that meet your criteria. As a pretty informed person, you already know that generally the smaller the camera, the smaller the sensor and the greater the compromises that must be made.

My small camera is an LX5 and that does not fit in my "normal" shirt pockets. But I am pleased with my results with it.

Good luck in making your selection.

retow

Canon S95 or Ricoh GXRIII are the only shirt pocketable ones. My pick, the Ricoh. The GRDs fit nicely in the small leather belt pouch from the GR1, that's how I prefer to carry it.
One size up are the LX5 and XZ1, too bulky and heavy for shirt pockets, though.

Howard,

Thank you for your contribution. The LX5 would be my favourite, too, were it not for the size. As you may know, I have a few cameras, Leica M8 and DMR, Nikon D700, Lumix G1, all of which deliver excellent results but are too bulky and/or heavy for me to carry along at all times. Thus I have often missed a good shot.

The best camera is the one you have with you, so It must fit the front pocket of my jeans. This is the number one priority when I do not want to carry one of the other cameras. I bought a Lumix FX150 but am not satisfied with the results. My wife’s 5 year old 6.4 megapixel Lumix FX01 in my opinion delivers better results but has no RAW capability.

Iris “Venetian Glass” - Lumix FX01

I am still on the lookout for the seemingly impossible compromise. I have not yet tried out the Samsung TL350 , which seems the only alternative I found to the FX150.

Peter

baudolino

Ricoh GRD III (or IV now)

the fixed lens (28 mm equivalent) is very good. low distortion and sharp into the corners. really small, I often carry it in my front trouser pocket ... "is that a camera in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?" :)

raywest

The best camera is the one you have with you, so It must fit the front pocket of my jeans.
is _not_ a shirt pocket! My sigma dp1s fits in my jeans OK, and takes superb images.

Best wishes,

Ray

DHart

Peter,

Perhaps your biggest problem is that your shirt-pockets are too small and that limits the number of cameras that meet your criteria. As a pretty informed person, you already know that generally the smaller the camera, the smaller the sensor and the greater the compromises that must be made.

My small camera is an LX5 and that does not fit in my "normal" shirt pockets. But I am pleased with my results with it.

Good luck in making your selection.
:thumbs:

A big +1.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the Samsung TL350. Looks like it might just do the trick.

I have the Samsung tl 350 camera and would recommend it. It has a Schneider Kreuz.
lens that starts at 24mm and goes to 120mm. It is f/2.4 at the wide end. It also can be used in full manual mode ( focus, f stop, aperture, and I believe ISO ) Minimum focus in macro is only about 2 inches though. I don't think it will take a hood, however, there is always your hand to shade the lens. Yes, it also does raw and comes with a raw processor
Thank you for your recommendation. I received it, here a few examples of RAW pictures, developed with RAW Therapee. I particularly like the high luminosity of the Schneider lens, color rendition and contrast.