The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X10 or X50, whatever it will be called….

raist3d

I am trying to *not buy any more cameras for a while*. I am quite happy with my K-5 and that covers the business side of my photography. I am quite happy with my LX5 (if I could do higher ISO than I normally can with it, I would be fine, fine, with it). I… had some "visions, " and looks like Fuji is about to introduce a *very* compelling premium ultra compact camera.

Yes, I would say better than LX5, better than XZ-1. But there's one thing that I am worried about and that is what sensor will Fuji use.

According to this, it will be an EXR:

http://photorumors.com/2011/08/27/fuji-x10x50-detailed-specs-leaked/

EXR… oh one of those special Fuji sensors. The problem with it is that it seems that at full resolution, it really doesn't quite have that resolution and introduces artifacts. So if this is indeed an EXR sensor of 12 MP, this will be more of a 6 MP camera.

Now, nothing much wrong with a 6MP camera that has better low light sensitivity or much improved DR (which are the two special modes of the EXR sensor). In fact the DR most likely surpasses micro four thirds, which for a compact sensor like this is quite a feat.

I really hope that if this is the case, Fuji has improved their EXR special grid bayer demosaicing and at least give a really decent output, even at the higher resolution but since I have yet to see any native resolution EXR shot that looks decent, I wonder.

- Raist

Brian Mosley

No worries, I just wondered whether you'd had a play with one? I doubt the X10 or X50 would offer better low light performance - although the high DR sounds of serious interest as a lightweight landscape cam.

Cheers

Brian

raist3d

I have tried the x100 briefly. I think it's great with the well know firmware issues. Wish it had true manual focus ( not fly by wire ). The lens is super sharp een wide open, ca resistant and has probably the best fill flash I have ever seen (looks very natural).

The x10 won't be this by something else. It's aimed tonthe lx5/s95/xz-1/etc. market. What kills me is that it looks like fuji got everything right except for one thing. Well see.

- raist

raist3d

Personally from what I see, this camera's ergonomics just kicks everything else (even though it has the hated cross-wheel thingie I hate so much). LX5, XZ-1, etc. But…. I see two big omissions:

- No built in ND filter- this is a bummer because if you are shooting at F2.0/F2.8 that's a problem. I want to see how fast the shutter can be at max aperture. You could shoot in high DR mode I guess but the shots will look exposure anyway.

- The big one- that EXR sensor. I have yet to see good EXR sensor shots at full resolution. so this is effectively a 6 MP camera. If the 6 MP's look great, I think I could even be fine with that- if the low light and wide DR modes work well. Fuji better have jumped forward/improved its EXR sensor processing.

- Raist

Last edited:

Rawfa

Very cool. Though it looks kind of big to replace a compact point and shoot camera. It actually looks bigger than the GF3 and the NEX series.

DavidL

Looks good, sounds good (stereo) but as others have said it's the image quality that we all want to see. Having said that I see no reason why it should be a disappointment. I'm happy with iso 800, 400 at a push.
Seem to be lots of small camera offerings to sort through. I'm still hoping Pentax will come up with a 1.5 crop mirror less for my Ltd lenses. Guess this is up to Ricoh now. Still it's all good news as I'm looking to replace my LX3.
David
David

raist3d

Looks like if the information that Fuji gave on SNR of Canon G12, X100 and X10 (from the Fuji guys/twitter), looking at the Dxo mark for X100, G12 and Olympus E-5/E-P3, I think it may very well be possible that the X10 sensor matches at 6 MP (the 6 MP, low noise mode) the ISO performance of a micro four thirds/four thirds sensor that Olympus uses, or be ball park around it), at say ISO 800/1600.

I know it sounds odd, bizarre but looks like it could very well be possible. I would say if that's indeed the case, even at 6 MP, that's quite remarkable. We'll see if what I read is right and how off I am with my own prediction. This would mean 1.5 stops (or 2) over an LX5.

- Raist

PS: The fuji guys link:

http://yfrog.com/nyp74vjj

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

What about dynamic range at base ISO vs m4/3rds? Would it be necessary to shoot at 6Mp to give the enhanced DR?

Cheers

Brian

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I just did a photobook on Toronto which used some older files. One was the interior of a church which I took with my Epson R-D1 (6mp) and the roughly 13in x 8in black and white image surprised the hell out of me for IQ

Cameras like the Sigma DP1 (and the new Pentax Q) are inducing photographers to think along the lines of "small is beautiful" where pixel counts are concerned

I'm preordering the X10

Keith

Brian Mosley

Well, I don't know about the Pentax Q but the DP1 had buckets full of dynamic range to add to a spectacularly sharp few Mp of resolution - along with a very high grade lens.

What I'm hoping, is that the X10 will have an exceptionally sharp and well behaved zoom lens - and if the dynamic range at base ISO is better than the current crop of m4/3rds sensors I'll be adding one to my kit for lightweight landscape / city use where I want the zoom range.

Cheers

Brian