The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Making the transition - a Leica M8 user meets the GRD2

C

chris_tribble

With regard to your comment of using the GRD as a spotmeter, that is exactly what I do when shotting with my hassy 553 or digiflex. I match up the ISO, aperture (or shutter speed), and WB and use spot meter mode, and it is fairly accurate. However I would first test the GRD2 against the other camera (or film stock) at comparable ISOs to correlate the exposure levels. I have a GRD and not the II, and my mf digital back has only one ISO of 100, so it works well. Brian
Brian - thanks for this. I'm thinking of seeing what happens with the Leica when I'm working with stage lighting. With Canon DSLRs I tend to use centre-weighted or spot + exposure lock and am able to avoid blown highlights. I find it much harder to do this with the M8 - especially with lenses longer than 50mm (had a nightmare a couple of weeks ago at the Wigmore Hall with strong overhead lighting + two bald performers + a woman and man with fine heads of hair!)

The examples below give an idea of what can be done with the GR2 as a spotmeter! The shots below are taken with an M8 + 75 lux. Assuming that your aim is to NOT blow the highlights on the clock, the GR2 is the perfect tool to help you out. Working with the M8 at iso 640 (this = 800 on the GR2) the metering was giving me 1/180th @ f2.8 (see the third image with the blown highlights). Using the GR2 and spotting on the clock I got 1/750th! The histogram on the shot at 1/180 is still good (I try to push the histogram to the right wherever I can) - it covers the full range (given that the image is clearly low key). I could never have got that exposure information with the Leica's metering.

Looks like another reason for keeping a GR2 in the bag!!

Best

Chris

S

Sean_Reid

The extreme DOF takes some getting used to and is a limitation of the camera if you like to use subject isolation in your photographic style.
Its just the nature of the format and I don't see it as a limitation, per se, any more than is the very shallow depth of field of an 8" x 10" camera. Its just a matter of the photographer matching the format to what he or she wants to make.

Cheers,

Sean

C

chris_tribble

CORRECTION - I said:
The histogram on the shot at 1/180 is still good (I try to push the histogram to the right wherever I can) - it covers the full range (given that the image is clearly low key).
Chris
This should have read: "The histogram on the shot at 1/750th". Sorry for any confusion.

C

chris_tribble

One difference you may find is that you become increasingly aware of space with the picture frame and that you build the pictures only across a depth that you can visually resolve.

Sean
Sean - reflecting on this during a walk this morning. It's not just the way you visualise the image before capture, it's also being willing to post process (and it was ever thus!). A fairly humdrum image straight out of the can, can become more worthwhile with some "darkroom" investment. As an example, consider the original image as it comes out in RAW, then given a very high contrast treatment in Lightroom ... The great thing about the GR2 is that it gives us the digital capital to be able to do non-destructive processing that brings out the potential of the captured image. Sure we make the image in the camera at the point of capture, but we still make the photograph in the physical or virtual darkroom...

Best

Chris

S

Sean_Reid

Sean - reflecting on this during a walk this morning. It's not just the way you visualise the image before capture, it's also being willing to post process (and it was ever thus!). A fairly humdrum image straight out of the can, can become more worthwhile with some "darkroom" investment. As an example, consider the original image as it comes out in RAW, then given a very high contrast treatment in Lightroom ... The great thing about the GR2 is that it gives us the digital capital to be able to do non-destructive processing that brings out the potential of the captured image. Sure we make the image in the camera at the point of capture, but we still make the photograph in the physical or virtual darkroom...

Best

Chris
Hi Chris,

True and, also, that was a black and white picture, at heart I think, from the start.

Cheers,

Sean

C

chris_tribble

Hi Chris,

True and, also, that was a black and white picture, at heart I think, from the start.

Cheers,

Sean
--- conceptualised as such from the start... just wanted to demonstrate how the post processing is the thing that makes the picture... I'm with Michael Reichmann on this one - I don't see any point in "baking" the image in-camera when there are so many resources out there to help you realise your vision...

Best

S

Sean_Reid

--- conceptualised as such from the start... just wanted to demonstrate how the post processing is the thing that makes the picture... I'm with Michael Reichmann on this one - I don't see any point in "baking" the image in-camera when there are so many resources out there to help you realise your vision...

Best
I think sometimes its important and sometimes the picture looks right almost straight from the camera (albeit, in my case, usually with a direct conversion to BW). I think things can go either way.

Cheers,

Sean

C

chris_tribble

Sean - following on from the earlier discussion, and linking this to post process, the High Contrast black and white pre-set in Lightroom is proving to be very persuasive with GR2 images. 1 example at 100 ISO and the other at 1600. The GR2 is beginning to feel like my walkabout B&W companion, with the M8 coming out when I know I'm going to be covering a specific task set.

Interesting... and all for less than the price of the cheapest Leica lens!

Best

C:

W

Walt

Sean - following on from the earlier discussion, and linking this to post process, the High Contrast black and white pre-set in Lightroom is proving to be very persuasive with GR2 images. 1 example at 100 ISO and the other at 1600. The GR2 is beginning to feel like my walkabout B&W companion, with the M8 coming out when I know I'm going to be covering a specific task set.

Interesting... and all for less than the price of the cheapest Leica lens!

Best

C:
Chris-

Coming from 40 years with film Leicas (using mostly Tri-X) and almost a year with two M8’s, I am finding the II a good substitute for, and in some ways an improvement over both types of cameras for the kind of BW work I do. (I don’t shoot color and have no idea if my experience is applicable to that. I think the small sensor introduces problems for color that I do not experience.) People dismiss comparison of the Ricoh to conventional cameras and talk of the small sensor camera as a “new format.” I find this idea unconvincing. I am shooting with the Ricoh in almost exactly the way I have with Leicas and getting results that are substantially indistinguishable and certainly excellent in 11 x 14 and 16 x 20 printing. I have an idea that the new-format idea is partly an effort to legitimize small, small-sensor cameras against the dismissal of those who think they are not "serious" cameras because of their technical specifications, physical size or low cost. I don't care what people think (or feel) about them or how they are classified, I like the photography I can do with the Ricoh. (I should add that the GRD-II is the first small camera I can unqualifedly say that about.) For me it is as good a tool as a film Leica with Tri-X in it and a better tool than the M8. I have exposed about 1,500 frames with two IIs over the past few weeks and made about 40 workprints, including several 16 x 20’s. I am surprised and impressed--actually delighted--by the capability of this camera.

For image “quality”--I am talking here of the way the term is widely used to mean detailed, sharp, low-noise images—the Ricoh is probably somewhat better and certainly more consistent than 35mm Tri-X. While it does not have the dynamic range or very fine tonal gradation of the M8 (which I almost always shoot at ISO 640), I am rarely finding this objectionable with the Ricoh in practice. The “noise performance” of the Ricoh (ISO 800) is much better than 35mm Tri-X (ISO 400) at comparable enlargement and about a stop behind the M8. The Ricoh ISO 800 images require careful processing, but so do the M8 ISO 1600 images. I actually find the Ricoh at 800 less fussy than the M8 at 1600 in terms of underexposure, shadow noise and banding, which can be erratic and problematic with the M8. I have not worked much with the Ricoh at 1600, but at first glance it looks problematic to me. Ditto for the M8 at 3200.

On the DOF issue that you mentioned earlier, I have pretty much always used Leicas at F11 for hyperfocal shooting unless I didn’t have enough light. The Ricoh simply allows this at larger apertures, which I consider an advantage rather than a limitation. I have recently been using the M8 mostly with a 21mm (28 FOV like the Ricoh) because this allows much use without having to switch the eye from the external finder to the rangefinder. (I am using external finders on the M8 for all focal lengths because of the very inaccurate internal framelines; and longer lenses, even a 28, require too much focusing.) The 21 on the M8 at F8 or F11 has about the same depth of field (and FOV) as the Ricoh. So, in both cameras I am usually “zone” focusing and using the same external Voigtlander finders. When manual focusing is required I’d prefer the M8 if I didn’t have to use external finders, but since I do, the two cameras about pan out. Even wide open, the Ricoh focusing is much less critical and requires much less frequent adjustment. On the film Leicas, one needed a 21mm FOV to approach this DOF, something I never used.

On other aspects of shooting, like metering, there are small differences between the M8 and Ricoh. I use both mostly in aperture priority. Because the Ricoh (matrix) metering is much more consistent, I find it easier to use. When I do want to lock exposure, this is much easier on the Ricoh with the Fn switch set for this purpose. Likewise the exposure compensation on the Ricoh “zoom” switch is much easier and faster than the Leica. Aperture changes are about comparable using the Ricoh “up down” dial. I wouldn’t want to use full manual exposure much with the Ricoh, but I don’t much like it on the M8 either, though it is a better system than the Ricoh. I would like to see Ricoh turn the exposure lock into an EV lock (perhaps choosable in the menu) so that, once locked, one could change the aperture for a matched change in shutter speed. I don’t mention the film Leicas here because I never used them with a meter. All said, I like working with the Ricoh physically and find it more facile and faster than the M8.

I am very grateful for this new camera. I would think that anyone not looking for medium format image character should look at it. Its’ downside is the very high ISO peformance, but I never had that with film anyway, and it's within a stop of the M8.

I’ve attached an ISO 200 and an ISO 800 image, in that order. (Unfortunately there's no space between them and I don't know how to correct that.)

Walt
www.waltodets.com/photo

C

chris_tribble

Walt - many thanks for your illuminating comments. I agree, though it's interesting to see how two photographers have such different practices... While I can see the arguments for "everything in focus and a much DOF as possible please" I also know that long lenses on the M8 and other cameras give me the opportunity to make completely different kinds of image and I wouldn't want to lose that...

I was also interested how I felt much happier with many of the lovely portraits on your site which look as if they were made with medium format and narrower FOV than 28 (what were you using?) than some of the more recent, where everything in focus (e.g. Nile http://www.waltodets.com/photo/Recent/RE_13/re_13.html) is for me less satisfactory... I know this may be more a reflection of a difference in choice between your way of picture making and mine, but it feels that it might also be to do with where the strengths of the Ricoh can become a limitation.

This said, images like the one taken last night while walking back from the theatre do underscore for me some of the very powerful resources that the GR2 offers. I've not printed this yet, but I feel confident it will go to A3+ with no problem.

Thanks again..

Chris

S

Sean_Reid

Chris-

People dismiss comparison of the Ricoh to conventional cameras and talk of the small sensor camera as a “new format.” I find this idea unconvincing. I am shooting with the Ricoh in almost exactly the way I have with Leicas and getting results that are substantially indistinguishable and certainly excellent in 11 x 14 and 16 x 20 printing. I have an idea that the new-format idea is partly an effort to legitimize small, small-sensor cameras against the dismissal of those who think they are not "serious" cameras because of their technical specifications, physical size or low cost.
It certainly is not an effort to legitimize anything. By your logic, a medium format camera used at F/32 is really the same as a 35 mm camera. But it is not. And a 4 x 5 camera used at F/64 is not the same as medium format, etc. The size of the capture medium (film or digital) has very concrete effects on how the camera draws the picture. It was always thus and still is.

Small sensor cameras do indeed form a very distinct format.

Last edited:
W

Walt

Walt - many thanks for your illuminating comments. I agree, though it's interesting to see how two photographers have such different practices... While I can see the arguments for "everything in focus and a much DOF as possible please" I also know that long lenses on the M8 and other cameras give me the opportunity to make completely different kinds of image and I wouldn't want to lose that...

I was also interested how I felt much happier with many of the lovely portraits on your site which look as if they were made with medium format and narrower FOV than 28 (what were you using?) than some of the more recent, where everything in focus (e.g. Nile http://www.waltodets.com/photo/Recent/RE_13/re_13.html) is for me less satisfactory... I know this may be more a reflection of a difference in choice between your way of picture making and mine, but it feels that it might also be to do with where the strengths of the Ricoh can become a limitation.

This said, images like the one taken last night while walking back from the theatre do underscore for me some of the very powerful resources that the GR2 offers. I've not printed this yet, but I feel confident it will go to A3+ with no problem.

Thanks again..

Chris
Chris-

Yes, of course people have different objectives in a photograph. The square format protraits you are citing are either a twin Rollei or Hasselblad, both with 80mm lenses, so "normal" focal length. Occassionally I used a 50 on the Hasselblad. I think of these portraits as the more conventional part of my work but I also like them because of the human and emotional content. To me, they are just a formally less interesting area of my work. The emotional content is important and interesting, but it's not necessarily interesting photography. By coincidence, the Niles image you refer to is from the M8 with a 35mm lens, so also normal FOV (about 47mm) on a 1.33-crop camera. The very point of this image is the density, overlay and confusion of things in space, something we normally "clean up" conceptually when looking at the world. Using limited DOF here would clean it up in the image and that would be an entirely different photograph and a less interesting one to me. So this is not at all "a landscape." I certainly think there is a place for limited DOF, but it is not an approach I have relied on for a long time. Early on I did occassionally use a 90mm on the Leica to good effect, as here: http://www.waltodets.com/photo/Other_Images/OI_10/oi_10.html This is not the kind of image I would probably pursue these days, but I don't think I would throw it out either.

Walt

Last edited:
W

Walt

Sean-

I wasn't voicing "logic" here, but an observation and one that did not even mention medium or large format images in the comparison. I compared the Ricoh images to 35mm Tri-X and the M8 at ISO 800. On Sunday, going through a stack of a few hundred 11 x 14 work prints, about 40 of which are from the new Ricoh, two very experienced, perceptive photographers had no idea which of the three "formats" they were looking at and didn't care. They were looking at the photography and experienced it as a coherent body of work. Does the Ricoh stuff look different from a Hasselblad, a Linhof or an M8 at ISO 200? Obviously yes. I just don't make theories out of that. The theory of the small sensor camera as a new format doesn't clarify or illuminate anything for me. The images just look like what they look like.

Walt

Last edited:
S

Sean_Reid

It may not clarify anything for you personally but it can be very useful for other people to understand that difference in how these cameras draw. First and foremost, the depth of field exceeds what most see from many lenses on 35 mm cameras even at F/11. So, while you personally have worked with deep DOF for a long time, many have not and so working with a camera that tends to see everything in focus is indeed a change.

The difference in these formats is, in part, the reason why you once wondered why it seemed the lenses on your M8 couldn't seem to match the lens on your GR. As I said at the time, that extreme depth of field is, in large part, responsible for that difference you posted about on the Leica forum.

Prints from various cameras can often seem similar, depending on how each was made. But the nature of the ways these different cameras draw do indeed make a difference for many photographers. So while you may dismiss that difference, attribute it to "legitimization", etc., your experience may not be general to all photographers.

DaveSee

Sean-

I wasn't voicing "logic" here, but an observation and one that did not even mention medium or large format images in the comparison. I compared the Ricoh images to 35mm Tri-X and the M8 at ISO 800. On Sunday, going through a stack of a few hundred 11 x 14 work prints, about 40 of which are from the new Ricoh, two very experienced, perceptive photographers had no idea which of the three "formats" they were looking at and didn't care. They were looking at the photography and experienced it as a coherent body of work. Does the Ricoh stuff look different from a Hasselblad, a Linhof or an M8 at ISO 200? Obviously yes. I just don't make theories out of that. The theory of the small sensor camera as a new format doesn't clarify or illuminate anything for me. The images just look like what they look like.

Walt
Hi Walt,

Thanks for the earlier and more lengthy "pensee" on working with the Ricoh.

While certainly able to speak/write for himself, Sean's use of Small Sensor Cameras(SSC) is not all that different than your use of Tri-X and "the M8": it's a way to distinguish the sources of images and consideration for what one might do to yield, as you put it "images just look like what they look like"(and) "experienced... as a coherent body of work". Aluminum, Stainless Steel and Cast Iron all make good pans, each with their own way with heat and how one cooks with them... but the food needn't taste like the cookware ;)

I've been tweaking my code to process Ricoh DNG files and find them much less plastic(in substance, not image presentation) and not as rich as those from the M8. The Ricoh files are larger in size(bytes), yet the DR is significantly smaller... which is most evident processing color pictures from the image data. Interesting EXIF data includes "ColorSpace" and "WhiteLevel", where the Ricoh codes "sRGB" and "4092", respectively. The M8 has no "ColorSpace" assignment, and a 16383 "WhiteLevel"... these reflect(!) the camera's DSP programming and capacity.

...and you thought SSC didn't "illuminate anything" <g>...

With this perspective, and getting back to "images just so", I find that getting the images from the Ricoh to "just so", I soup them in a smaller color space(eg. AdobeRGB or DCam2) because the data is not there in a wider/larger space(ProPhoto, DCam4). This is from a color perspective... B&W is "in testing(the kitchen, on the stove)".

Why a distinction of SSC v. Tri-X v. M8 is inteteresting to me, both useful and evident, is the same hand I find between bristle and sable brushes, 4B and HB pencils... it's about "images just so" and what gets you there.

I really like the Ricoh and its highly optimized system. Yet it's hand/haptics and DNG data are unique enough to represent a kind of tool, but not the one I'd always favor for best picture "flavor"... and what's this ND filter(digital) implemented with apertures 7.1 and smaller... interesting!

rgds,
Dave

C

chris_tribble

Walt / Sean / Dave - many thanks for this interesting discussion.

Walt:
Early on I did occasionally use a 90mm on the Leica to good effect, as here: http://www.waltodets.com/photo/Other..._10/oi_10.html This is not the kind of image I would probably pursue these days, but I don't think I would throw it out either.
It's so interesting to see how a photographer's sensibility, technique, tools and judgment are all engaged in the process of making the image. As I come to terms with the GR2 I am also learning about the limits / strengths of my own capacity and the limits / strengths of which ever tool I find myself working with. I know that within my own practice, I find myself preferring images like 90mm one you quote - and also accept the validity of what you were doing with the Nile image. The great thing here is that we can develop our own identities as photographers and learn from one another through this kind of exchange. Thanks!

Dave:
Why a distinction of SSC v. Tri-X v. M8 is interesting to me, both useful and evident, is the same hand I find between bristle and sable brushes, 4B and HB pencils... it's about "images just so" and what gets you there.
I find myself agreeing with you here. Enjoying the GR2, enjoying the spontaneity of having something so small to work with, but finding that there are aspects of the way the limits of the sensor limit what the camera can offer. I don't have your technical knowledge so haven't been able to express it as clearly as you. However, my experience of working with GR2 images in a ProPhoto colour space in LR compared with working with M8, 5D or 1D2 images in the same environment leaves me feeling that they lack something, that they are constrained in some areas where the larger sensor images offer me greater expressive range.

Thanks for the insight.

Sean:
The difference in these formats is, in part, the reason why you once wondered why it seemed the lenses on your M8 couldn't seem to match the lens on your GR. As I said at the time, that extreme depth of field is, in large part, responsible for that difference you posted about on the Leica forum.
Agree!

Thanks again all for a really illuminating discussion.

Best

W

Walt

Chris, Sean and Dave-

I think some of this discussion about formats is semantic and if people want to call the Ricoh a member of the new SSC format, that seems fine to me. I would define a “format” as something that can produce a different kind of work, not something that requires different technique to get to the same kind of work. As Dave points out (and he is talking largely about color, which complicates these issues immensely and which I ignore except to the extent that it influences the BW conversion), different cameras require different processing. But I process the different lenses on the M8 differently, certainly in terms of the tonal curve and the M8 at ISO 800 differently from ISO 1600. And I am processing the Ricoh differently from the M8 and have a whole group of ACR settings for the Ricoh, including the JPEG sandwich, which I am still sometimes finding very useful with the Ricoh, and which is never part of the M8 workflow.

For me, these differences, including the DOF issue, don’t add up to a "new format." The differences between these two cameras (or three if I include the M-Tri-X camera) are nothing like the differences between them and 6 x 6. With a Rollei or Hasselblad, I am not only working very differently because of the physical handling of the camera, I am doing a different kind of photography. Chris identified this difference easily in looking at images on my website. In contrast, in the group of recent photographs that includes the “Niles” image that Chris commented on (http://www.waltodets.com/photo/Recent/recent.html) most are from the M8, but there are a few from a cheap pocket Sony using the camera’s BW JEPGS. I don’t think one could pick them out, even in large prints, so this doesn’t qualify, to me, as a different format. I would also say that the difference between the M8 and Sony in terms of the kind of work they produce--not how I got there behind the scenes--are much less significant than the difference between the M8 at ISO 200 with a 75mm lens and the M8 at ISO 800 with a 21 or 28mm lens. Those are two different kinds of photography. I have no more considered using the M8 at ISO 200 with a long lens than I have thought about using a Speed Graphic with M-sync flash bulbs. As a matter of fact I would never use the M8 at ISO 200, because I don’t at all like the look or find it appropriate to my work--it is an entirely different kind of image. Call it a different format if you will. Some would say that it adds the asset of vesatility to the M8, but its not a capability I’d buy a Leica for.

On the issue of defending or legitimizing small sensor cameras, it is obvious that they are widely denigrated for “serious photography.” The M8 forum is rife with the idea that “better cameras” make “better photographs” and that a new lens or two is going to open up whole new vistas of creative expression. It’s good business for companies like Leica that people believe this but it’s nonsense and the Internet is brimming with posted images that make the case. It’s a plague. There is so much talk of equipment in these equipment forums that it is easy to forget that the equipment is 5% of the story if the subject is ultimately photographs. To pick up Dave’s comparison to pencils, I’m sure Matisse had a favorite pencil, but it hasn’t much to do with why his drawing is interesting.

On Saturday I did a rare formal job, a portrait of a writer who is photographed a lot and very conversant with the media world. I arrived at his hotel room just wearing a coat and he asked where my equipment was. I pulled the GRD-II out of my right coat pocket and he said, “You’re going to photograph me with a little camera like that?” So I pulled my other II out of my left pocket. For some reason that seemed to satisfy him. He said, “I guess things are just getting smaller and smaller.” I didn’t tell him that I’d brought along the second camera just in case the first one futzed out, and he didn’t seem to notice that I never used it during out three-hour visit.

Walt

thomasl.se

On Saturday I did a rare formal job, a portrait of a writer who is photographed a lot and very conversant with the media world. I arrived at his hotel room just wearing a coat and he asked where my equipment was. I pulled the GRD-II out of my right coat pocket and he said, “You’re going to photograph me with a little camera like that?” So I pulled my other II out of my left pocket. For some reason that seemed to satisfy him. He said, “I guess things are just getting smaller and smaller.” I didn’t tell him that I’d brought along the second camera just in case the first one futzed out, and he didn’t seem to notice that I never used it during out three-hour visit.

Walt
Good one.

A portrait session I had using the GRD went smoother once the hood assemblage was attached and the 'mirror flap' sound swiched on.
If for nothing else, I'll hang on to the old manual slr just for sound and show when needed, never loaded.

Thomas

S

Sean_Reid

I find it strange that there is such contention over a definition (of photographic format) that has existed for over a century.

Photographic formats, traditionally, are defined by the size of the camera's negative. With those different negative sizes come some differences in the way the lens/camera draws. In film, some format examples are 8" x 10", 5" x 7", 4" x 5", medium format (60 mm x various) and small format (24 x 36 mm).

The primary reasons that pictures made from small format negatives often look different from those made from medium format negative are:

1) 35 mm negatives are smaller and thus must do more with less.
2) 35 mm cameras are paired with shorter focal length lenses for any given field of view

The area of a 35 mm film negative is just about 20% of the area of a (medium format) 6 x 7 (cm) negative. Most photographers have long understood that this means the two cameras are of different formats and will tend to draw somewhat differently.

The CCD area of a typical small sensor camera (which measures about 7.2 x 5.35 mm) is about 4.5% of the area of the sensor in a Canon 5D (or, of the area of a 35 mm film negative).

When one is working with a camera that uses a capture area that is 4.5% of the size of a 35 mm film negative, he or she is working with a camera of a different format. That size difference, by definition, is what separates one photographic format from another.

Clarity of language and semantics are two very different things.

One may indeed be able to mix a set of prints made with different cameras of different formats and find that people cannot tell which camera made which. But that doesn't mean that differences in formats, and among cameras and lenses, do not exist.

Small sensor cameras, as a format, are marked by a few general tendencies:

1. For a given field of view and a given aperture, they show dramatically more depth of field, than cameras with larger sensors, because they use shorter focal length lenses.

2. Their dynamic range, overall, tends to be narrower than that of cameras with larger sensors. One must be willing, under some conditions, to allow the highlights to blow out and/or the shadows to go to black.

3. Their tonal gradiations, while often beautiful, tend to be somewhat more abrupt than those of cameras with larger sensors. At any given ISO, their drawings tend to be somewhat coarser than those of cameras with larger sensors.

4. Their noise levels, at a given ISO, tend to be somewhat higher than those found in cameras with larger sensors. (Just as 35 mm negatives tend to show more grain than medium format negatives.)

Its no coincidence that Chris' opening post talked about three differences between his M8 and his GR2: depth of field, noise and DR.

Just as one can sometimes make a medium format film camera draw like a small format film camera, so too can a camera with a, roughly, APS-H size sensor (for example) sometimes be made to draw like a small sensor camera. With a plastic medium like photography, there are certainly a lot of ways that pictures from any camera can look. But, I would continue to urge photographers working with small sensor cameras to get to know the nature of this format, of its strengths and weaknesses, and make good use of them.

As I've written for the past two years, I think that photographers who want to use this camera format seriously may want to begin by considering what its nature is. These cameras are part of a very young format that, if used well, can lead to very interesting work.

How important is format to one's work? Stephen Shore very intentionally uses an 8 x 10 camera rather than a 4 x 5. The differences between the two are not trivial to him. Evans changed formats according to the kind of pictures he was making. Strand stayed with large format for most of his career. Larry Fink moved to MF rangefinder cameras because of the specific look their negatives create. The examples could go on for pages and pages. There is no one best format but one's choice of format can indeed be important to one's work.

Aspect ratio, of course, is a whole other kettle of fish.

Cheers,

Sean

P.S. Van Gogh had specific tastes in paper, paint and brushes. His letters to his brother Theo make this very clear.

Last edited: