The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

COmments on LX1 Vs LX3

simonclivehughes

I'm just curious what members think of the Panny LX1 (or in my case the Leica DLUX 2) versus the newer LX3? I never bit at the LX2 (or DLUX 3) when it came out, on the basis that I really didn't see the point in upgrading. Now with the LX3 and it's purportedly better specs for higher ISOs, I'm debating.

However, I keep thinking that since I only ever shoot RAW, am I not better off with the 8.4MP and its larger pixels than the 10.1MP new camera? I know that the sensor is marginally larger, but is this really going to make a marked difference? I also know that they've improved the shot-to-shot RAW times, but this rarely bothered me (except on the original GRD).

I'd be interested on members' comments on this.

Cheers,

smokysun

personally, at $500 i'd wait til after photokina (sept. 24th) and a few reviews. i too have the d-lux 2. the 2.0 lens on the new one very nice, but the tele much shorter. and i have little faith in panasonic solving the noise at higher iso's. that just doesn't seem to be a priority for them.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

mark1958

Simon.. I am in the same boat as you. DLUX-2 and waiting on the LX-3. From what I have read and some of the RAW files I have been able to download, it seems like the LX-3 is an improvement in IQ and noise based on the DLUX-3 (e.g. LX-2). I do not know how it compares to the DLUX-2. While the LX 3 is not as great on the tele, the wide angle side is much better-- 24mm... this is a great improvement in my mind.

simonclivehughes

Gents,

Thanks for your replies. I've actually just bitten the bullet and committed to a deal on a used (in like new) condition DP1 with finder and hood. I've wanted one of these since they were announced and even though I'm well aware of the shortcomings of the beast I have to say I'm cranked about getting one finally.

For the most part, my shooting regimen will work nicely within the limitations of the DP1 and I get to benefit from the great files!

Ciao,

A

asabet

Hi Simon,
The DP1, despite its limitations, is a sweet little camera. Looking forward to seeing your photos with it!

Brian Mosley

Hi Simon,

it's a tough call, but I think I'd prefer the flexibility of the LX3's Leica lens to the IQ of the DP1... looking forward to micro 4/3rds for interchangeable lenses.

Kind Regards

Brian

simonclivehughes

Hi Simon,

it's a tough call, but I think I'd prefer the flexibility of the LX3's Leica lens to the IQ of the DP1... looking forward to micro 4/3rds for interchangeable lenses.

Kind Regards

Brian
Hi Simon,
The DP1, despite its limitations, is a sweet little camera. Looking forward to seeing your photos with it!
Brian,

I understand your comment, but at this point, I have D300s, GRD II, GX100, DLUX2 and TZ5, so the DP1 is going to fill a specific niche for me. I.e. the best quality vs size and I will be using it for landscape and some street. I know the limitations vis-a-vis shooting speed and ISO performance, but my style of capture is fairly sedate and methodical, and, I'm not averse to using a small tripod or beanbag so I hope this will overcome many of the niggles.

The LX3 certainly looks nice, but I'm concerned over the shortening of the zoom range and, truth be told, I LOVE 28mm so I've more than got that covered with the stable of compacts I (will) have.

I find it interesting from the tone of your post that you seem to have "gone off" the DP1. You were one of the brightest proponents of it when you first got it. Care to share any insight into the change?

Amin,

Thanks for you comments. Yeah, I'm looking forward to using it but I have to wait a couple of weeks before I can meet up and take delivery. :angry: Jeez!! Maturity is SO boring... I want it NOW!

Cheers,

Brian Mosley

Hi Simon,

all I can say is, that the DP1 just doesn't inspire me... I've got the battery on charge now (takes about a week to discharge with the camera switched off) and will try again tomorrow.

Kind Regards

Brian