The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LX5 Firmware Version 2.0 released today

pikme

Thanks, I've been waiting for this. It appears to address several of my complaints as well, including AF speed, AWB, and MF.

wells_dc

Question about download. Installation instructions are to create folder for download and then download the update directly to that file. My Mac (Snow Leopard) automatically downloads the update to download box. I tried copying the file to a folder after I did the download, then to the SCHC card, then to camera, etc. That doesn't work. Camera does not recognize the update. Any Mac gurus out there who follow the instructions and create a target folder first and get the Mac to cooperate?

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
John, how many button clicks does it take to get to the flash compensation adjustment these days (post firmware 1.0)? I sold this camera, re-bought an LX-3, then sold it for an XZ-1 just for this reason.

JBurnett

John, how many button clicks does it take to get to the flash compensation adjustment these days (post firmware 1.0)? I sold this camera, re-bought an LX-3, then sold it for an XZ-1 just for this reason.
This camera has flash? Who knew? :)

Seriously, the Flash Adjust is at the top level of the Record tab. My menus persist after shut-off so I guess the number of clicks depends on where I last was in the menu systems. If the last thing I used was Flash Adjustment, then a right arrow takes me right back in. If I was (for example) last in the Setup menu, then I'd have to do left, two up to the Rec menu, right, 6 up to the Flash Adjust, and right.

Hope this answers your question, although I confess that I virtually never use flash, so perhaps I've misunderstood.

pikme

Kit - I agree that moving the flash compensation control into the menu system was dumb for the LX5; its one of the reasons that I also have XZ-1 in addition to LX5.

Wells - the instructions for the update for macs are unnecessarily complicated and create problems that aren't really there. It is actually very simple, forget about creating a folder and just download the update and then make sure it is the correct size - it should be correct without any 'extraction' or clicking on it. Then just copy the downloaded file onto an SD card that has previously been formatted in the camera, then put it back into the camera and press the green arrow button - it should go to the update menu. The whole process from download to finish shouldn't take more than about a minute to do.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
@ JBurnett: that made me laugh! For me, that tiny flash has really made a difference on occasions (default for me is -1.3 to -1.6 EV under ambient). And that's my recollection for the number of button pushes, too: too many.

Great little camera otherwise. Cheers and thanks.

@ pikme: I have bookmarked this for reference; thanks for that.

wells_dc

Thanks to Pikme for the advice. I have re-downloaded version 2.0 several times to my Mac and copied it to my sdhc card. It appears to have the correct number of bytes, but it rounds it to 16.3. so I can't be sure. In any event, it has not worked. I have reformatted my card each time. After reformatting it still has several files, so maybe that is an issue? I have no idea where to go from here.

pikme

After you have downloaded the file, it needs to have exactly 16,254,464 bytes. File info should give you the exact number, without rounding. This is important, because there are various sizes depending upon whether you have clicked on the download or need to click on the download. It will only work if you have the exact size.

There should be a few other folders on the card after formatting - don't worry about them. Copy the download file, if it is the right size, onto the card but not in any of the folders. Also, make sure the battery is fully loaded, as it won't work without a full battery.

Assuming you have a full battery, the only thing that can go wrong is not having the exact size download.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
. . . but not in any of the folders

This is the key to making it work. Don't move the files over in a folder

Keith

wells_dc

Thanks again, Pikme. I determined that when I clicked on the downloaded file to check its size, my Mac made a CGSZ copy. (I never did find a way to check its exact size.) That version doesn't work for the update. I downloaded again and made sure to copy the original downloaded file (Mac archive?) to the card, and then all worked well.

pikme

Great!

It's funny, all the Oly users are convinced that updating directly into the camera is stupid, and if Oly would just switch to using a memory card method there would never be any problems. But one look at Panasonic forums shows that using the SD card causes just as much frustration for folks.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Great!

It's funny, all the Oly users are convinced that updating directly into the camera is stupid, and if Oly would just switch to using a memory card method there would never be any problems. But one look at Panasonic forums shows that using the SD card causes just as much frustration for folks.
The real issue with the Oly solution is that on a Mac it only works in 32 bit mode to upgrade to new FW. Which means that you have to reboot your system back into 32 bit mode every time you need to upgrade. Which is annoying!

raist3d

Great!

Would have to check the forums. Mine worked pretty well.

- Raist