The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

iPhone 4S Photo samples

Terry

I was looking at those yesterday. I'm pretty excited to get my hands on the new camera but we have to wait and see if AT&T figures out the upgrades. There are a whole bunch of people that went to the iPhone4 at launch that aren't eligible for upgrade until November. I don't want to wait a month but $250 is a lot to pay for not being patient enough to wait the short amount of time.

There was some noise in the blue sky of the balloons but all in all it seems like there is a ton more detail.

More impressive it seems are the shot to shot times.

Thank goodness they also added some basic editing tools so that you don't always have to go to another app to rotate or crop.

Last edited by a moderator:

mathomas

After many false starts I had finally made up my mindto get an iPhone. So, the announcement of the 4S is especially exciting for me. The improved camera features are the icing on the cake. It has an f/2.4 lens on it, too, though I'm sure the focal length is tiny. Still, one of the sample photos actually showed some (relatively) short DoF!

I was looking at those yesterday. I'm pretty excited to get my hands on the new camera but we have to wait and see if AT&T figures out the upgrades. There are a whole bunch of people that went to the iPhone4 at launch that aren't eligible for upgrade until November. I don't want to wait a month but $250 is a lot to pay for not being patient enough to wait the short amount of time.

There was some noise in the blue sky of the balloons but all in all it seems like there is a ton more detail.

More impressive it seems are the shot to shot times.

Thank goodness they also added some basic editing tools so that you don't always have to go to another app to rotate or crop.
I've never known you to be patient enough to wait for new gear :D

I too like the idea of the built-in (albeit basic) editing features - definitely a nice step forward.

I should get my hands on one soon (a permanent unit anyways) though I won't be able to post any photos until the official release date :toocool:

jlm

Workshop Member
anyone know what the field of view might be, best expressed in 35mm equivalent? the 4g was about the same as a 43mm on a 1:1.1 crop digital back, see how confusing that is? probably around the same as a 30mm on a full frame 35mm sensor

Terry

I too like the idea of the built-in (albeit basic) editing features - definitely a nice step forward.

I should get my hands on one soon (a permanent unit anyways) though I won't be able to post any photos until the official release date :toocool:
Well on this one AT&T is just being weird to make a whole group of users wait a month.....all I've seen with November upgrade dates bought iPhone 4 on launch date....the most loyal bunch.

So, are any of the posted samples yours? I know you would have to shoot me after answering that question :ROTFL:

Godfrey

Wow - bummer news just now.

The world just lost a true visionary.
Indeed.

Steve Jobs, finishing up his Commencement Speech at Stanford, 2005:

"Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life....because almost everything - all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important ... there is no reason not to follow your heart."

He will be missed.

JimCollum

you an Apple employee?? didn't know there were others on the forum

jim

JimCollum

Yes - you too Jim?
yea.. IOS Wireless Engineering.

Was a tough day all around. I was in a training class in one of the Tantau buildings.... the shooting this morning took place across the street from us, and the woman was shot during the attempted carjack at the corner. Our building was in lockdown most of the day, and then, the announcement about Steve. Class ended, with no one saying anything.. just silence.

very sad

Godfrey

yea.. IOS Wireless Engineering.

Was a tough day all around. I was in a training class in one of the Tantau buildings.... the shooting this morning took place across the street from us, and the woman was shot during the attempted carjack at the corner. Our building was in lockdown most of the day, and then, the announcement about Steve. Class ended, with no one saying anything.. just silence.

very sad
Ah ... Another Apple person here. i'm in Dev Pubs (DA6), you can find me in the directory. My route to work runs me up Homestead from Santa Clara to De Anza, had to shunt off down Tantau and up Stevens Creek to get in this morning, delayed me about 45 minutes on a usual 25 minute commute ... The place was littered with police everywhere.

With all the other stuff going on in Cupertino today, I decided to work from my home office this afternoon, rather than have lunch and return, so I exited the campus at 1:30 and took 280 back down to Santa Clara. I was head down into a piece I'm writing when the news popped up in my news feed.

what a day.

Joe and Jim, we should do lunch! Probably after I get back from my trip, though ... I'm leaving on Sunday, gone until October 26.

Ah ... Another Apple person here. i'm in Dev Pubs (DA6), you can find me in the directory. My route to work runs me up Homestead from Santa Clara to De Anza, had to shunt off down Tantau and up Stevens Creek to get in this morning, delayed me about 45 minutes on a usual 25 minute commute ... The place was littered with police everywhere.

With all the other stuff going on in Cupertino today, I decided to work from my home office this afternoon, rather than have lunch and return, so I exited the campus at 1:30 and took 280 back down to Santa Clara. I was head down into a piece I'm writing when the news popped up in my news feed.

what a day.

Joe and Jim, we should do lunch! Probably after I get back from my trip, though ... I'm leaving on Sunday, gone until October 26.
Godfrey - I thought you were no longer at Apple or I would have looked you up a long time ago ;-)

We should definitely all get together.

Jim - I'm in special HW - worked with some folks under Hooman. Yes it was very quiet this afternoon after the news broke - I don't think anyone could even formulate their feelings into words yet and so folks didn't say anything...

Godfrey

Godfrey - I thought you were no longer at Apple or I would have looked you up a long time ago ;-)

We should definitely all get together.

Jim - I'm in special HW - worked with some folks under Hooman. Yes it was very quiet this afternoon after the news broke - I don't think anyone could even formulate their feelings into words yet and so folks didn't say anything...
I just recently accepted an offer for another full-time position, after contracting a couple of stints. Ironically, the day I signed the offer and handed it to HR was the day SJ stepped down as CEO .. Aug 23. It felt a little odd.

ustein

Contributing Editor
THe iPhone 4S has a better camera:

- better WB
- More Detail
- More open shadows

I don't own a 4S but had the chance to use one.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Uwe is right on the money with what he said. The 4S is pretty remarkable all the way around, coming from my old 3GS, but the most impressive thing after Siri to me is the improvement to the camera. The stills are dang good, considering the sensor size, and the Video is remarkable! It's not a GH2, but pretty amazing considering it is coming from a Smartphone!

Just took this inside on of our lobbies and played around with it using Snapseed - amazing what you can do on your iPhone ;-)

Some of the grain is from the 4S sensor - some of it was added - I like the overall effect.