The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax Q

ustein

Contributing Editor
This camera is tiny. Looks like a toy but is not. A friend asked "How old is it?", 2011 :)

Overall the price is likely the main issues here.

Tim

Uwe,
When I first read of the Q I thought, why?, it seemed pointless, but then I saw it alongside the GRD and then its raison d'être seemed obvious. Why not, I say now. Its what some have been asking for, for a long time. Its fills a niche not previously occupied by anything?!

Some PP I would guess?!

ustein

Contributing Editor
Why photograph people with the iPhone? Fun. Q? Fun too. Very small. The people think it is a toy but it is not.

jonoslack

so Uwe - you have one?
Good?
my feeling is that if you want that kindofathing, the the Nikon rather eclipses it. Am I wrong?

ustein

Contributing Editor
>so Uwe - you have one?

Yes

>Good?

Finding out

>my feeling is that if you want that kindofathing, the the Nikon rather eclipses it. Am I wrong?

Will see.

cjlacz

my feeling is that if you want that kindofathing, the the Nikon rather eclipses it. Am I wrong?
It depends how you are comparing it to the Nikon, but the Q is much smaller than the Nikon cameras. The Nikon lives up with m4/3s and NEX as far as size/weight. Nothing compares to the size of the Q.

raist3d

The Nikon 1 and the Q are completely different cameras. And I will say that the Q has vastly better ergonomics for the enthusiast The Nikon 1 (so far) is a consumer-oriented system. This shouldn't mean I am saying it's bad, but it's not with the enthusiast/more experienced photographer in mind.

I had a chance to try out the Q recently and the Q amazed me in a few ways. At this point I am waiting on some things to settle. I want to see if the X10 can fit in a pant pocket or not (the Q *DID* pass that test for me, with the prime 1 lens attached).

Because if I keep my LX5, go Q, go X10, that's my pocket camera for the next 5 years. I am taking a vow to end the upgrade gravy train and focus on my photography.

- Raist

ustein

Contributing Editor
>This shouldn't mean I am saying it's bad, but it's not with the enthusiast/more experienced photographer in mind.

Not sure what you mean. The Nikon 1 should have fast AF and other top features. Have to see how the video is. The Q has too low bit rates.

raist3d

>This shouldn't mean I am saying it's bad, but it's not with the enthusiast/more experienced photographer in mind.

Not sure what you mean. The Nikon 1 should have fast AF and other top features. Have to see how the video is. The Q has too low bit rates.
What I mean is that Nikon designed the entire interface with the consumer in mind. There's no PASM- you have to dig into a menu and it's cumbersome. But you have the "best photo" thing, the photo , the video switch. I applaud Nikon for coming up for something new, but it's consumer oriented.

Neither the J1 nor the V1 are aimed at the enthusiast per se. More a consumer enthusiast if such a category could be named :)

I would not be surprised Nikon later on comes out with a "Nikon Z 1" or such that would be those extra controls.

Fast AF has nothing to do, imho, with a more knowledgeable enthusiast photographer. That's more auto = consumer, particularly the way is done in conjunction with the other features like tracking, etc.

To me enthusiast photographer goes with a different set of controls/ergonomics and the camera gives a lot of control in a very easy to tweak/change/read way. This is not the case with either model.

- Raist

raist3d

Question about EPL3 vs a Q

Seems I first get the P1 into my hands. Also the the two models seem to differ.
Since you have the Q, have you had a chance to use a micro four thirds EPL-3? What set of Pros a Q has over it in your opinion? (if any)

Thanks.

- Raist

jonoslack

It depends how you are comparing it to the Nikon, but the Q is much smaller than the Nikon cameras. The Nikon lives up with m4/3s and NEX as far as size/weight. Nothing compares to the size of the Q.
HI Charles
So I now realise - I'm certainly fascinated by what Uwe finds - It seems like a fun thing to me . . . . . will the IQ be as good as the iPhone 4s :ROTFL: (in our tests here the iPhone is better than the Canon S95 at equivalent fov.)